Shotgun / Rifle Suggestions (Whitetail Hunting)

Spook1

FNG
Get a savage 220. Had to use them here in Ohio before they finally allowed straight walled cases. The savage I had would shoot. But those sabot slugs weren’t cheap

Shraggs

WKR
Lots if good choices listed here 20 is less recoil slightly less range than 12g. Bolt is dedicated where pump or semi auto is multi use. Smooth bores will work ok fir slugs/sabots but limit distance. Rifle barrel is better to push range.

Above all, after selecting the gun buy as many sabots brands as you can first to sight in in, then see which brand will shoot accurately. Some will some won’t. We all have preferences but it may not shoot well. So you’ll have factor in a significant amount of money to test. Don’t assume. It’s ok to sight in a 50 yards to if 100 is to hard.

Recoil will be new to you. Learn fundamentals now to embrace it, snd I strongly don’t recommend using a led sled to sight it in or test fir accuracy if different brands.

I use a Savage 220f that i put in a Boyds thumb hole stock with a nice recoil pad. It’s a dream to shoot. I ran the 3” accutips and they were exceptionally accurate, when I couldn’t find them anymore i went to a federal 2 3/4 and they are nearly as good. I have a Nikon p3 shotgun scope on it. Really like the reticle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 9

KenLee

WKR
If your committed to a shotgun, the Savage 220 is the "easy button". Great gun if you have to shoot slugs.

I also agree with looking at the straight wall rifle. Much more accurate without fuss and economical as well. That's the direction I'm going.
Yep the Ruger bolt action 450 Bushmaster at $425-500 is a good alternative.
I love a 45-70, but prices on levers lately are crazy high.

Browning a-bolt slug gun is what I bring out to IL with me. You can find good deals on used ones occasionally.

Last edited:
OP
I
Yes, I would give those a try. These Hornady are also worth a try.

Thank you!!

Have you shot either in the field? I’ve seen a lot of positive things about the Accutips, but one thing I’ve seen a couple people say is that those don’t seem to leave a great blood trail.

Curious if anyone has any thoughts / info on that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but heard rumor Illinois was gonna join the rest of the states with straight wall rifles next year I'd take a 450 over my 12 GA anyday.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
I
Correct me if I'm wrong but heard rumor Illinois was gonna join the rest of the states with straight wall rifles next year I'd take a 450 over my 12 GA anyday.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Actually you are right. I think it was mentioned in here, but I didn’t think much of it.

This changes the equation!

However.. it seems like the law doesn’t even allow you to have a magazine on the rifle? So I can only carry a single round of ammo with me? Am I reading that right?

Last edited:
Thank you!!

Have you shot either in the field? I’ve seen a lot of positive things about the Accutips, but one thing I’ve seen a couple people say is that those don’t seem to leave a great blood trail.

Curious if anyone has any thoughts / info on that.
I have not shot either yet. I’m finishing up my stock of Lightfield hybrids ( now out of production) and will give the Hornady a try.

weaver

WKR
I would take a Cva in 350 legend over any shotgun if legal. Minimal recoil and ammo is available and reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the mossberg 20ga combo for my son. It's a cheap gun but it's accurate. I was looking for something more than a one trick pony like the 220.

OP
I
I know these can vary a lot, but I was also curious if anyone had any understanding of the legality of borrowing a gun.

Such as - if I have all my licenses, tags, FOID card, etc… can I borrow a relative’s gun for a season, or is that not legal? I’ve been trying to do some reading on it, but I can’t find anything definitive.

I have savage 220 for illinois. Dad just got a Henry single shot that is awesome.

If you want cheap and good, my dad hunted with a Remington 870 with a rifled slug barrel for close to 30 years. Killed lots of deer with that gun.

But, next year certain single shot rifles will be legal. Something to think about.

OP
I
I have savage 220 for illinois. Dad just got a Henry single shot that is awesome.

If you want cheap and good, my dad hunted with a Remington 870 with a rifled slug barrel for close to 30 years. Killed lots of deer with that gun.

But, next year certain single shot rifles will be legal. Something to think about.

For the rifles, am I reading correctly that you can only have one round in your gun or even around you? Like, nothing even in the magazine or anything around you?

For the rifles, am I reading correctly that you can only have one round in your gun or even around you? Like, nothing even in the magazine or anything around you?

That’s my understanding. I am going to stick with my savage bc I just bought it a couple years ago. But yeah, one round.

OP
I
That’s my understanding. I am going to stick with my savage bc I just bought it a couple years ago. But yeah, one round.

Hmm.. don’t know for sure how I feel about that. I think I’d rather have the Savage and have 3 rounds.. just in case.