Shotgun / Rifle Suggestions (Whitetail Hunting)

… handle a more powerful rifle or slug. 444 marlin (my favorite),45-70, 20 gauge, etc. If you have to get it done at 150 yards, what would you really want?

OP
I
… handle a more powerful rifle or slug. 444 marlin (my favorite),45-70, 20 gauge, etc. If you have to get it done at 150 yards, what would you really want?

I actually saw a reasonably priced CVA Scout .444 marlin.

Do you think there is much of an advantage with these rifles over, say, the 220 savage?

That’s part of what I’m trying to figure out too.

It does seem like ammo availability / price might be better with some of these rifles.

I’ve shot plenty of deer with both the 20ga and the 444 Marlin over the last 10 years. Both are solid. I find the 444 gives me greater range. I am comfortable at 175 to 200 yards with the 444. Don’t think I would push the 20 that far. That’s just me.

If you can, handle both and see if one feels better or seems to fit you better. Both great options.

In addition to my primary hunting lease in Alabama I do a hunt in Ohio every year. Been going to Ohio for 25 years or more. We had to use shotguns there for many years. I bought rifled slug barrels for my Remington 1100 and 1187 with the cantilever scope mount. They shot pretty good. I killed a bunch of deer with those shotguns. I used them back in Florida with the raised rib barrels for Turkey, quail , ducks and dove hunting the set up worked very well for me. I definitely would have a scope on my slug gun. A good quality scope that gives you the ability to see deer in heavy cover is more important than magnification in my opinion.

When Ohio went straightwall I first went with a 444 marlin. But I always preferred bolt guns so when they came out with the 350 legend I jumped on on. The winchester xpr came as close to checking all the boxes I wanted in a whitetail rifle for Ohio. I mounted a vx3i 2.5-8x36 on it. I had my question in my mind about the 350L but they was pretty much answered this year in Ohio. I killed this buck at 188 yards with it.
Long poke with that rifle.

Attachments

• CC21DEF8-35C0-4604-BE52-C161D3B98267.jpeg
    CC21DEF8-35C0-4604-BE52-C161D3B98267.jpeg
    726.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 48C32C22-B999-4F0B-A9DB-7B0EEB808391.jpeg
    48C32C22-B999-4F0B-A9DB-7B0EEB808391.jpeg
    462.3 KB · Views: 7

KenLee

WKR
I actually saw a reasonably priced CVA Scout .444 marlin.

Do you think there is much of an advantage with these rifles over, say, the 220 savage?

That’s part of what I’m trying to figure out too.

It does seem like ammo availability / price might be better with some of these rifles.
444 ammo is a tough find. 450 Bushmaster ammo is everywhere. Heck, I'd sell a CVA 444 with 50mm Nikon ready to hunt for that reason. 18 bullets left 😉

Rich M

WKR
Imo get a 350 Legend. I have one and have tested and reload all kinds of bullets thru it. Shot 2 deer w it so far.

250-300 yd gun
Light recoil
150-180 gr hunting bullets
135 gr solids for practice at about $16/box

Ruger American shoots great and is inexpensive rifle. Mine shoots the factory solids at 1-1.5 inch at 100, bottom of soda can at 200. Select Reloads are 0.6 at 100 and 1 inch at 200.

A ballistic drop compensating scope 3-9x40 would suit you well. I put a Diamondback on mine and it shoots well to the max range distance of 250 yards. I zeroed at 175 yds, have a 4 inch rise or fall out to 225 yards, first hash mark at 250 yds.

have about $750 in my rifle, scope, and a couple magazines. It’s a good gun for most folks who will be happy inside 300 yards. The light recoil is preferrable for newer and older shooters.

OP
I
444 ammo is a tough find. 450 Bushmaster ammo is everywhere. Heck, I'd sell a CVA 444 with 50mm Nikon ready to hunt for that reason. 18 bullets left 😉

Kind of interesting, I went to Theisen’s today, and they had very little 450. A lot of 350, though. But the other gun shop I went to had plenty of both.

OP
I
I believe it’s been discussed previously, but curious to get more thoughts.

I am leaning towards the 350 Legend, but one concern I do have is the potential issues with tracking blood.

Ideally, the shot is so good that it’s not going to matter much anyway, but I was curious if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Especially in comparison to the 450 Bushmaster.

KenLee

WKR
I believe it’s been discussed previously, but curious to get more thoughts.

I am leaning towards the 350 Legend, but one concern I do have is the potential issues with tracking blood.

Ideally, the shot is so good that it’s not going to matter much anyway, but I was curious if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Especially in comparison to the 450 Bushmaster.
I hate a 30-30 and in my opinion, it's better than a legend at 200 yards. For that reason, I won't own a 350 Legend

OP
I
I hate a 30-30 and in my opinion, it's better than a legend at 200 yards. For that reason, I won't own a 350 Legend

Makes sense. I don’t anticipate taking many shots at that range, though. I’m guessing, at the very most, I’ll go to 150. But even that is pretty unlikely.

OP
I
I’m starting to zone in on a couple options.

Taking cost into consideration and not wanting to get too crazy with a potential scope, would you guys recommend buying one without a scope?

For example, my local Theisen’s has two Savage Axis 350 Legends. One with a scope, and one without. The one without is about $100 cheaper. Are the scopes that come with the rifle worth it? I have seen some mixed reviews, so it’s hard to know for sure, especially since I know very little about scopes right now.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Scopes that come with a factory rifle are normally of low quality. Might be adequate for your needs or might be not worth much at all.

OP
I
After all this, the deed has been done - I have ordered a Savage Axis 350 Legend w/ 3-9x40mm Weaver Scope. I zoned in on the 350 Legend after discussions here and with a few of my buddies. And I decided to go with the combo scope after those talks as well, because they said that should work for the type of hunting we will be doing with the rifle.

Just wanted to say thank you all so much for your help on this. It was very much appreciated, and I learned a ton!

Now we wait for the rifle to arrive and start to figure out which ammo will work best!

KM5019

FNG
So I’ll start off by saying I am very new to firearms in general. Never really grew up around them, so I’ve been just starting to learn. Actually, I’m fairly new to all of this. After having a bow for a few years, this was the first year I really started working hard at it and went out hunting for the first time.

I took my Hunter’s Ed course recently, and that helped me learn a ton. I also just got my FOID card.

So, I live in Illinois, and in the future I will be doing some shotgun hunting for whitetails.

I am just starting to read up and learn about all my different shotgun options, and honestly it’s so overwhelming. I do have a cousin who has really be helpful, but figured I’d post here as well.

For a beginner that is looking to not break the bank, what suggestions would people have for shotguns to look at?

Not that I’m looking to be cheap, but I’m also not looking to get too crazy at this point either. Maybe down the road. Also curious if you guys scopes? Or just use the bead/open sight?

EDIT: I have also learned that single fire rifles will be allowed next year in Illinois as well, so some possible suggestions on those would work too.
I see a lot of recommendations for Mossberg 500 and Rem 870. Both are great, versatile, and can take a beating. Can’t beat having two guns for the price of one with interchangeable barrels. I use my 870 for duck hunting then throw my rifled cantilevered barrel with a 2x7 for deer. Like someone else suggested buy a few types of slugs to see what works best. No need to beat yourself up with 3” shells, use 2 3/4. I think they actually shoot better. I use the rem AccuTip. They shoot great.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. Would you take a 30-30 (350L) bear hunting? If you reload, you can increase the performance of the 450b dramatically. The 250gr FTX is the limiting factor when increasing the speed, it tends to over expand when you push the velocities up in a bolt action. If you handload, the 450 with better bullets, beats the 350 in every aspect.

Tod osier

WKR
I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. Would you take a 30-30 (350L) bear hunting? If you reload, you can increase the performance of the 450b dramatically. The 250gr FTX is the limiting factor when increasing the speed, it tends to over expand when you push the velocities up in a bolt action. If you handload, the 450 with better bullets, beats the 350 in every aspect.
OP has made his choice.

Shraggs

WKR
You won’t have any trouble with blood tracking w 350 l. In my experience killing with it, the 150 Winchester xp is very good. Lots of us here in Michigan snd Ohio experimented with some heavier for caliber options with not as impressive results. Modest speed stick with the faster high frangible loads.

If you reload, the 124 hammer is worth looking at to extend range a bit past 250.