Shotgun / Rifle Suggestions (Whitetail Hunting)

So I’ll start off by saying I am very new to firearms in general. Never really grew up around them, so I’ve been just starting to learn. Actually, I’m fairly new to all of this. After having a bow for a few years, this was the first year I really started working hard at it and went out hunting for the first time.

I took my Hunter’s Ed course recently, and that helped me learn a ton. I also just got my FOID card.

So, I live in Illinois, and in the future I will be doing some shotgun hunting for whitetails.

I am just starting to read up and learn about all my different shotgun options, and honestly it’s so overwhelming. I do have a cousin who has really be helpful, but figured I’d post here as well.

For a beginner that is looking to not break the bank, what suggestions would people have for shotguns to look at?

Not that I’m looking to be cheap, but I’m also not looking to get too crazy at this point either. Maybe down the road. Also curious if you guys scopes? Or just use the bead/open sight?

EDIT: I have also learned that single fire rifles will be allowed next year in Illinois as well, so some possible suggestions on those would work too.

Last edited:
Savage as suggested are nice. If you hunt thick cover and only are going to shoot 75 to 100 yards max, you can get away with a smooth bore bird barrel. Get clamp on sights and shoot rifled slugs out of it. Then you have a shotgun that's not just a dedicated deer gun. You could also buy a combo set up such as one from mossberg that comes with a smooth barrel and a rifled barrel. It really just depends on your particular situation.

grfox92

WKR

I bet more deer have been killed in shotgun only counties, with Mossberg 500s then any other gun.

With this combo you get a regular bird barrel and then a rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount that is part if the barrel.

So you can switch barrels after deer season and go shoot birds, small game, turkeys ect. Then when deer season is approaching you put back on your rifled barrel with the scope Still attached.

If you are 100% positive you will only be hunting deer and no small game or birds, then the Savage bolt action mentioned above is the better choice.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Those bolt action slug guns are the top of the heap for deer hunting.

if I wanted something more versatile, there is a lot to be said for that mossberg combo and a 3-9 scope. Nikon made a slug hunter scope that is discontinued but still easy to find. It’s plenty of glass for a 100 yard shotgun scope.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider

I bet more deer have been killed in shotgun only counties, with Mossberg 500s then any other gun.

With this combo you get a regular bird barrel and then a rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount that is part if the barrel.

So you can switch barrels after deer season and go shoot birds, small game, turkeys ect. Then when deer season is approaching you put back on your rifled barrel with the scope Still attached.

If you are 100% positive you will only be hunting deer and no small game or birds, then the Savage bolt action mentioned above is the better choice.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
That's a great response. I have a lot of family in Michigan and Illinois and many of them have this same combo. Those guns have put a pile of venison and birds and small game in the freezer over the years.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Also curious if you guys scopes? Or just use the bead/open sight?

A smooth bore shotgun barrel designed for bird shot can be used with slugs. You can use the beads to aim, or even get rifle type sights that clamp on to the rib on the barrel. However, that setup is not nearly as accurate as a scope on a rifled shotgun barrel. Max responsible range for a smooth bore and slugs is 60-75 yards, max range with a rifled slug barrel and scope is double that.

As you spend some time deer hunting you'll discover that it's much, much easier to get 100 yards from a deer than it is 60. The extra range provided by a rifled slug barrel will provide you more shooting opportunities and more venison.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

I'd go with the Savage 220 slug gun and either a 2-7x33 or 3-9x40 mid-price scope. Try several brands of slugs and see which one groups best. I've had good results with the Remington Accutips 3" or 2 3/4" 20 ga slugs.

20 ga ultra slug hunter.
You seen the prices on those lately? That was my first thought for the guy, but I decided to check availability. Gun broker has several with bids up to almost $600. When I worked in a gun store around 2009, they were $249 brand new. Crazy the price they bring.

OP, if it were me, I'd go 20ga as well. Easier to shoot with less recoil, and there's nothing you'll hunt that 20ga isn't sufficient for IMO. Only downside has been ammo availability lately but that's just the name of the game with the current climate.

Brendan

WKR
I'm going to echo some of what's been said above - It really depends if you want a dedicated deer gun, or an all around shotgun.

The Savage 220 is probably one of the best, if not the best, off the shelf deer shotguns. But after adding rings, scope, ammo, it's not the cheapest. But, if you're committed to deer with a shotgun, it'll last you a lifetime if you take care of it. And - accurate out to 150-200 yards if you know what you're doing.

If you want an all around shotgun that you can use for Turkey, Clays, Waterfowl - a 12 ga pump with two barrels might be the best all around option and a good starting point. Similar to the Mossberg mentioned above (no experience with them) I have an older Winchester 1300 XTR with a 3" chamber that's a good option if you can find one similar in good condition, interchangeable choke smooth barrel and if you can find the rifled deer barrel, and you could always sell it down the line if you wanted to go to a dedicated deer gun and an autoloader...

wesfromky

WKR
You might consider a straight walled rifle that meets the IL regs, Something with detachable magazine that lets you meet the "single" shot rules would give you more range, accuracy, and less recoil then a shotgun. Straight wall also lets you hunt some of the other states with 3 round mags as well.

If you happened to already have a T/C Encore, just pick up a 20 gauge rifled barrel.

Otherwise, if I were you I would go with the Savage 220 and a 1-4 scope.

Maverick1

WKR
You seen the prices on those lately? That was my first thought for the guy, but I decided to check availability. Gun broker has several with bids up to almost $600. When I worked in a gun store around 2009, they were $249 brand new. Crazy the price they bring.

OP, if it were me, I'd go 20ga as well. Easier to shoot with less recoil, and there's nothing you'll hunt that 20ga isn't sufficient for IMO. Only downside has been ammo availability lately but that's just the name of the game with the current climate.
I have one of those in 20 ga. Only has about 15 rounds through it. Purchased it right before an area I hunt switched to rifle. Has been sitting in the safe since then, didn’t know there was much value in it, thanks for the info.

OP: the choices can generally be broken down into action type, barrel type:
Bolt action, rifled barrel: savage, browning
Break action, rifled barrel, single shot: NEF, T/C encore
Pump or semi auto, rifled barrel, with cantilevered scope: a few more choices - Remington, mossberg, beretta, Ithaca
Pump or semi auto, smooth barrel, saddle sights or iron sights: Remington, mossberg, Winchester

Scottf270

WKR
If your committed to a shotgun, the Savage 220 is the "easy button". Great gun if you have to shoot slugs.

I also agree with looking at the straight wall rifle. Much more accurate without fuss and economical as well. That's the direction I'm going.

SBFD63

FNG
Has Savage fixed the jamming problem with their bolts. My brothers was a single shot. He never was able to cycle a second round. Quick Google search and he would never have bought it.

Look for local ammo availability. I switched to an 870 20ga and am glad I bought ammo a couple years ago. 20ga sabots are like gold around here. 12ga was tough but the local market got flooded after our gun season was over.

I'd vote for a pump combo with two barrels. I will always have one setup like it just for the ease of it.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

I was going to suggest a Henry single shot slug gun, if wanting a dedicated slug gun. But it is only available in 12 ga and is MSRP at just under $600.

OP
I
Really appreciate the responses, folks. It honestly is SUPER helpful.

It seems like I first need to determine if I want a shotgun for just deer hunting, or potentially more.

rclouse79

WKR
You can not go wrong with the savage 220. I have shot good groups out to 200 yards and just killed an elk with it this year. Get one and you won’t be sorry- if you can find ammo that is.