Shotgun for 18 Year Old Son?

BCD

WKR
I am looking to buy my son a 12 gauge. Likely a pump with a 24 or 26 inch barrel. I would like it to be all camo and trying to keep it at $500 or less. I'm considering the WInchester SXP. I would normally get a Remington 870 but my understanding is that they aren't making them at the moment. The gun will be used for both turkey and waterfowl. Any suggestions?

Thank You!!

someter82

Lil-Rokslider
Remington is not making any firearms as of current. May never again.

I would look for a used 870. Maybe gun broker.

Can’t beat an 870 for versatility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
Just my .02
If you want an 870 I would try to get one made before 2009 (?) That is when their quality took a nose dive. I bought a 870 express on 2013 and have had too many failures to count

I'd go with a 28" or 26" barrel. I got 3 870s and one of them has to be rebuilt but I have put thousands and thousands of rounds through it. My dad shot a nova for years with out problems as well

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
Remington is making guns now. I would get an 870. I’ve bought several new ones(after 2009) and never had any issues with them. Some as recently as 2018 or 19. 24” is the longest barrel I would get. I would get the supermag version.

11bar

FNG
It’s always nice to have the third shot with a pump, but I’d keep an over and under in mind. There are several manufacturers that have them in that price range. I really like to not have to worry about a shell stuck in the magazine for a young hunter. The gun is safe as soon as it’s broken open. Just a thought good luck

OP
B

BCD

WKR
Remington is making guns now. I would get an 870. I’ve bought several new ones(after 2009) and never had any issues with them. Some as recently as 2018 or 19. 24” is the longest barrel I would get. I would get the supermag version.
I wish the new 870s came in camo

mholman

FNG
I have a nova that is mainly a camp gun but it gets used alot for turkeys and waterfowl. It is a bit ugly to look at but it is tough and solid. Easy to break all the way down to the trigger mechanism but will function day after day and for the price it would be hard to beat.

Reactions: BCD

DuckDogDr

WKR
My .02 from 23 years of chasing the waterfowl..
A pump is a nice solid option and reliable.
I would unfortunately recommend increasing your budget 2-300 more and getting a used NICE Remington wingmaster 870 pump or a New browning BPS.
Fit, finish and reliability is far beyond the 870 express.
Cut my teeth on the wingmaster (my dad’s) .. I kept borrowing so much he told me to get my own … so I bought the express and it is definitely the worst gun I have ever bought.and Remington customer service about the same.

The Wingmaster is more of a gentle use collector item in my opinion. If you want to get him a tank, reliable utilitarian gun. Get the browning bps and don’t look back.

Both of those guns are like a Chevy 350 .. parts are everywhere and it will be easy for him to adapt to his game of choice. The BPS is a little harder to breakdown and clean .. but I love mine.

If he’s duck hunting I would recommend a 28” barrel vs the 26…

N2TRKYS

WKR
I wish the new 870s came in camo
It depends on the camo type for me. I hope they start offering the 20ga 870 synthetic with a 21” barrel again. I have them dipped in the camo of my choosing. That takes it out of your listed price range, though.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
My .02 from 23 years of chasing the waterfowl..
A pump is a nice solid option and reliable.
I would unfortunately recommend increasing your budget 2-300 more and getting a used NICE Remington wingmaster 870 pump or a New browning BPS.
Fit, finish and reliability is far beyond the 870 express.
Cut my teeth on the wingmaster (my dad’s) .. I kept borrowing so much he told me to get my own … so I bought the express and it is definitely the worst gun I have ever bought.and Remington customer service about the same.

The Wingmaster is more of a gentle use collector item in my opinion. If you want to get him a tank, reliable utilitarian gun. Get the browning bps and don’t look back.

Both of those guns are like a Chevy 350 .. parts are everywhere and it will be easy for him to adapt to his game of choice. The BPS is a little harder to breakdown and clean .. but I love mine.

If he’s duck hunting I would recommend a 28” barrel vs the 26…
I have an 870 express that is over 30 years old. It has been fantastic and completely reliable. My brother bought the same model at the same time I did and his has been excellent as well. I agree the WIngmaster is a much nicer option though.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
I have a nova that is mainly a camp gun but it gets used alot for turkeys and waterfowl. It is a bit ugly to look at but it is tough and solid. Easy to break all the way down to the trigger mechanism but will function day after day and for the price it would be hard to beat.
My only concern with the Nova is that it's a bit on the heavy side. Otherwise I have heard nothing but good things.

My only concern with the Nova is that it's a bit on the heavy side. Otherwise I have heard nothing but good things.
Another vote for the nova, the old 870s were great though. A little extra weight isn’t necessarily a bad thing for shotguns in my opinion, especially for a newer shooter. A little lighter recoil and a smoother steadier swing from a little weight might be a plus. Getting him to a shop to shoulder the ones you’ve narrowed it down to would be a good idea.

WCB

WKR
I have a Mossberg 835, 870 Express (20 yrs old), and Nova in 12 gauge. I also have a couple 870s and a nova 20 gauge.

No issues with any of them. I will say the Nova even though heavier than the 870 or at least feels like it. It kicks like a mule...Get a good aftermarket recoil pad on whatever one you get.

As far as Remingtons...I would wait a while to see current or new quality and also the service the new owners provide.

ltkasten

FNG
I have a friend that bought an SXP and he's had issues with it. I'd look for a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500. They won't do you wrong.

Last edited:

ptmn

FNG
If you pick up a used 870, they are "relatively" inexpensive. From there, you can have your son help you refurbish it. Make your list of worn parts and pick them up from MGW, Brownells, Midway, Numrich Arms and have your son help you put them in. The two of you can also refinish it with Cerakote.

I'm sure with all the parts you can stay well below your $500 limit and on top of that your son will have personal pride in the weapon he built. That personal pride usually amounts to more respect for the weapon, which is a great thing. Besides, it's pretty fun refurbishing a gun

galamb

FNG
The new 870's are totally redesigned and being made by the new owners (RemArms).

They are making about half a dozen (sub-models) at the moment - a couple of Turkey models, a slug gun (those three in camo), a couple of Wingmaster's and the "fieldmaster" which is the (budget) version taking the place of the Express but they are only currently being produced with a Walnut stock (plans for black synthetic next but haven't said when)

The Fieldmaster has way better fit/finish then the Express ever had, even in the old days but it's also coming with a higher pricetag - they are telling us dealers it will have an "on the shelf price" of about 600 bucks.