Turkey gun for Son (8)

Fowl Play

WKR
In a similar situation as you, looking for a gun for my daughter. Likely going 301 as well and cutting down the stock. Unless I can find a replacement stock for a Mossberg SA-410, would like to go auto just for slightly reduced felt recoil for her. She's going to need a max LOP of 12" though. With TSS #9 and a red dot. A .410 is every bit of a 40 yard gun. Although I plan to keep them close for her, I might steal this gun a couple times myself.

Hey not sure if you purchased the savage 301 yet but consider looking at the .410 cva scout. 20 inch barrel with an Xtra full choke. The 20 inch barrel makes it handle way better for a kid. My daughter was a few months shy of her 5th birthday when she killed her first bird. A bog death grip is a great option also.

dylaneh

FNG
looking to get my son a turkey shotgun for christmas, hes 8 and will be his first year turkey hunting.. I am looking at the stevens 301 or the rossi tuffy both in 410. anyone have experience with these?

what i am reading is the rossi is nice because you can adjust stock, but feels cheap.

steven quality feels better but the stock is to long for kids. So i would most likely have to cut the stock down, not a deal breaker for me.

thoughts?
Lot of opinions. I own three of these guns but check out the Franchii

Just picked up a Steven’s 301 yesterday and put a Vortex Venom on it. Told my wife I was planning ahead for the kids…. 5, 2 and 12 weeks

$516 out the door of Sportsmen’s

b1276b366bc36c2120d04dbe450bc864.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
I went with the Rossi. It’s light so it kicks but I taped it to a sandbag (pint size game changer) and it’s pretty manageable now.

The pattern on tss is super tight even with the mod choke so gonna try some other stuff in it as the shot will only be 10-15 yards if my daughter gets a chance. I took all the spacers off the back and taped some foam to it so I still have the shorter LOP and softer foam too.

OP
F
i ended up getting the stevens 301. i put a burris fast fire 3 on it. also picked up a bog deathgrip

Long Cut

WKR
My 20G 301 enjoys Federal & Apex 9’s through the factory choke

I would recommend a 410 or 20g 301 to anybody seeking a specific turkey gun. Affordable, lightweight, great trigger, compact and shoot TSS very well
IMG_0739.jpeg

looking to get my son a turkey shotgun for christmas, hes 8 and will be his first year turkey hunting.. I am looking at the stevens 301 or the rossi tuffy both in 410. anyone have experience with these?

what i am reading is the rossi is nice because you can adjust stock, but feels cheap.

steven quality feels better but the stock is to long for kids. So i would most likely have to cut the stock down, not a deal breaker for me.

thoughts?
my dad bought the stevens for my little brother. My dad loved it so much now he hunts with it. It is a great little gun