Shot Sequence in the Field?

In practicing for the cold bore challenge I've noticed that I don't always do everything I can to facilitate success.
Such as utilizing options for rear rifle support. Double checking bubble and so on.
What are you guys doing to ensure that doesn't happen to you?
Thanks

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
For me, it's just a mental checklist, and confidence when you break the trigger. There's a couple videos online about the psychology of successful shooting. Things like you never actually have to break the trigger unless you have 100% confidence that everything is accounted for.its interesting stuff, and only really works if you seem to be competitive with yourself

Harvey_NW

WKR
When I started reloading and shooting longer distances I really slowed things down and pounded the fundamentals. Sometimes I still go to the range and only shoot 10-15 rounds just testing or checking a load or zeroing a new optic, and every single shot I go through the same motions so it's become muscle memory.

Lawnboi

WKR
One of the best things you can do is to learn to make a position that takes as much of the wobble out of your setup as you can.

It’s much easier to practice proper fundamentals when you don’t have a 10” wobble.

Given time you can do things like check your natural point of aim. Release tension from the rifle and see if it moves.

My process, I remind myself to open both eyes, always look at my level, make contact with the trigger and squeeze through. I try to go through those every time I shoot my rifle.

Cold bore challenge dosnt add the pressure of time, a few dry fires helps. I’ll dry fire at a live animal given appropriate distance as well if given time.

Cold bore imo isn’t the problem that cold shooter is. Mentally preparing for that first shot takes practice to make those fundamentals something you don’t have to focus on.

My amateur 2 cents

Geewhiz

WKR
One of the best things you can do is to learn to make a position that takes as much of the wobble out of your setup as you can.

It’s much easier to practice proper fundamentals when you don’t have a 10” wobble.

Given time you can do things like check your natural point of aim. Release tension from the rifle and see if it moves.

My process, I remind myself to open both eyes, always look at my level, make contact with the trigger and squeeze through. I try to go through those every time I shoot my rifle.

Cold bore challenge dosnt add the pressure of time, a few dry fires helps. I’ll dry fire at a live animal given appropriate distance as well if given time.

Cold bore imo isn’t the problem that cold shooter is. Mentally preparing for that first shot takes practice to make those fundamentals something you don’t have to focus on.

My amateur 2 cents
In a hunting situation I will dry fire multiple times if given the chance, and its amazing the difference it makes to get me calmed down and in my groove.

croben

WKR
It’s situationally dependent for some things, like not always having the ability to have a rear rest. First thing I do before shouldering my rifle is making sure my turrets are zeroed, unless I need to dial which I then do. Shoulder the rifle, build my position, and make sure it’s level. Find my target, adjust magnification, and make any little corrections needed in my position. Once I’ve made the decision to shoot and have an opportunity, pad of my index finger goes on the trigger and I press until the shot goes off. Stay in position, reload, and reacquire target if possible. Depending on this situation, this might happen very quickly or can be more methodical.

I try and go through the same mental sequence on every shot. For me it's square up to the rifle, grip rifle where I can make right angle with trigger finger, get good cheek weld, ensure proper sight picture (no edge shading), breath couple slow breaths, do a verbal here goes, exhale slowly while putting all my focus into squeezing the trigger as slow and deliberate as possible and not thinking of anything else. This is just my process and I'm sure everyone does it a little differently. Seems to work pretty good for me

OP
M
For me, it's just a mental checklist, and confidence when you break the trigger. There's a couple videos online about the psychology of successful shooting. Things like you never actually have to break the trigger unless you have 100% confidence that everything is accounted for.its interesting stuff, and only really works if you seem to be competitive with yourself
Can you share info about which videos specifically?

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
MDT Sporting Goods on youtube has been posting a ton of random 5-10min videos that cover the foundations. there is one where the CEO does a match, but goes through some training first that cover the mindset.

But then Ryan Mclean has a very indepth video setting up a guy on a barricade. this might help you start to make your own checklist.

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
When I target shoot I first pick the smallest point on the bullseye and squint for a couple seconds at it then while still looking at it I get comforable by moving my feet then I draw and release while never moving my eye of the dot on the bullseye