Short Barrel/Suppressed Rifle Options - What's the Best Value?

After recently bringing home my first suppressor, I'm now in the market for a new rifle with a short barrel. With all of the knowledge on rokslide, I'm looking for some help in determining my next gun purchase. Goals for the rifle are as follows -

- 6.5 CM (though could be convinced to go smaller)
- shoot factory ammunition
- 400 yd max hunting range
- 18"-20" Barrel Length
-ability to upgrade/personalize/tinker with the gun as desired over time (rokstok, potentially new barrel at some point, etc.)
- final product that is a "good value". I'm certainly not opposed to spending money for quality, but I also don't need to spend excessivley for minimal gains

With those goals in mind, my options I've brainstormed so far are -

1) I currently own an early 2000s Remington 700 in 30-06. I could send the action off to be blue printed and converted to 6.5CM. I would also purchase a new steel barrel and have the gunsmith chop, thread, and install the barrel.

2) Purchase a new Tikka in 6.5 CM and send off to cut and thread barrel.

3) Seekins Havok Element in 6.5 CM ( probably a little more than I want to spend all at once and not sold that the additional cost of the rifle provides much a sizable benfit over the R700 or Tikka for the large increase in price. Also, the barrel length is 21")

From the research I have done, I would guess that purchasing a new Tikka and having the barrel cut and threaded would likely be the best value of the three options. It would leave me plenty of room to customize and upgrade down the road as I felt necessary. Using the R700 action intruiges me, but I have a feeling the cost of a new barrel, trueing the action, and any costs associated with swithcing calibers will prove to be just as costly as buying the Tikka?

Looking for some insight from those who have gone down this road before. Other suggestions or critiques are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a Seekins havak element 6.5 and a tikka 6.5 that is cut and threaded.

I like both but for taking out and carrying it around, hunting etc I much prefer the tikka. The Seekins is great but the barrel is still a bit too long and you are limited to stock choices. Seekins is going to offer a folding stock for it which I’ll probably get but I wish that MDT or somebody made a chassis for it.

Long Cut

WKR
Something to consider are the CVA Scout rifles.

I got mine off of GunBroker chambered in 6.5CM for $313 if memory serves me right. CVA Scout’s barrels are actually made by Bergera, if that’s any value to you. The trigger is very good as well.

You are able to change out the stock for a folding and/or more modular option if you wish. My Scout with a 20” barrel has an overall length of 35” and has been printing right about 1” 5-shot groups at 100.

For what I invested in my Scout, the DNZ rail, SWFA 3-9, stock pouch and sling I believe all said and done was under $850.

For my needs as a “300 and in” Southeastern whitetail gun, it checks all of the boxes.

I hope this helps
IMG_7989.jpeg

I'd say Tikka in 6.5 chopped to 16" will do everything you need and a modest price and cover longer range. Personally, I hunt inside 500yds mainly. I'm building a 6ARC bolt gun on a carbon fiber stock, 16" barrel, suppressed as my all new around go-to. No more long rifles or recoil for me.

Cynoscion

WKR
You could always buy a prefit 6.5 creed barrel and install it yourself since you have the 700 action already. Add the trigger and stock of your choice or use what is on your donor rifle to save money. I enjoy tinkering so this is the route I would go.

TxLite

WKR
2) Purchase a new Tikka in 6.5 CM and send off to cut and thread barrel.
This right here is the easy button for what you are looking to accomplish. You can get any 6.5 creedmoor and chop it but this option leaves you the most long term adjustability for the money spent.

HNTR918

WKR
If you want a short barrel I would second guess your cartridge choice.
The larger the diameter the more volume for powder burn in the barrel given a specified length.
Therefore, .338 > .308 > .284 > .277 > .264 etc.
I've seen .308 win with 24'' barrel shoot 3120 fps with 130gr bullet and shoot at 2950 with the same load in a 16'' barrel.
With a 6.5cm you will see a much much larger drop in MV.

You could always buy a prefit 6.5 creed barrel and install it yourself since you have the 700 action already. Add the trigger and stock of your choice or use what is on your donor rifle to save money. I enjoy tinkering so this is the route I would go.

You can't prefit a factory 700 unless you use a barrel nut.

H80Hunter

WKR
They aren't AS popular here but I love the Sig Cross for this and it's hard to argue it's not an easy button as well.

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
The larger the diameter the more volume for powder burn in the barrel given a specified length.
I've seen .308 win with 24'' barrel shoot 3120 fps with 130gr bullet and shoot at 2950 with the same load in a 16'' barrel.
That's about 21.25 fps velocity loss per inch... My 6.5cm cut from 24.3" to 18" lost 20 fps per inch.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Sounds like you’re on the right track. For reference, my 18.5” Tikka in 6.5 CM (suppressed) shoots 147 ELDMs at 2445 fps. Using 1800 fps as your stopping point, you can play with ballistic calculators to figure out your terminal range.

That little rifle is a blast to shoot and very effective on game. Its taken elk, deer, pigs, and most recently, my wife killed a mountain goat at 465 yards.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
That’s not really true. Amazing how misconceptions never die.

OP, I’ve done both option 2 and 3. If tikka offered a factory 6cm at the time I wouldn’t have bothered with the seekins element. The element is a better shooter, but I think the tikka is a better hunting rifle.

Sadler

WKR
Thanks all, really appreciate the responses. Looks like I'll keep it easy and go the Tikka route.
That’s the easy button for sure. Cut and thread it and be done. Down the road throw it in a rokstok and maybe rebarrel it to a 6 creed whenever you shoot out the barrel.

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
That’s not really true. Amazing how misconceptions never die.

OP, I’ve done both option 2 and 3. If tikka offered a factory 6cm at the time I wouldn’t have bothered with the seekins element. The element is a better shooter, but I think the tikka is a better hunting rifle.
True on the first point. It's very easy to test with modern Chronographs.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk