Shooting School Recommendation?

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
Another worth looking at is Appleseed.
I did one of theirs with my wife who shoots very little. We both got some things out of the class and it is very cheap.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
No recommendations, but good on the OP for seeking out training. It’s the right answer to being capable in the field.

Sako76

WKR
I went to Wolf Precision on Johnstown, PA (twice actually). The first time a buddy from Michigan asked me to go so I got a Ruger Target/Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor and a Sightron S-Tac in 4-20 SFP.

I really liked the course, learned a lot (especially wind) and was hitting congs at 1000 yards the first day. We shot in a two day down pour (tent covered but still muddy) and guys next to you with braked guns were pretty annoying. No bench shooting allowed. My S-Tac ran out of elevation on the 1000 yard gong and didn't have zero stop. I now shoot a Nightforce.

Due to a lot of our feed back, Jamie Dotson only uses his suppressed guns and his ammo. He put a large shed on the field you shoot do you won't get wet or muddy and you are out of the wind.

I took the course s second time using the suppressed rifles that Jamie built and Kahles FFP scopes. Loved it.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
One in ten has a zeroed rifle? Really? What else could there be? I'm really asking. This sounds insane to me.
There’s a range in Utah that offers a sight-in service for a fee. The weekends just before rifle deer/elk season they have a lot of customers. It’s everyone from old school hunters, tacticool bros and first time hunters. They show up, have someone else sight in their rifle and leave.

PlanoDano

FNG
If I figure things out I should write a book "Field Shooting Positions for Geezers". Biggest fear now is absolute flat ground with enough stubble to rule out prone. Nothing bends like it used to. I envy you guys who live close to the NF and have any hillside as your range.

SDHNTR

WKR
There’s a range in Utah that offers a sight-in service for a fee. The weekends just before rifle deer/elk season they have a lot of customers. It’s everyone from old school hunters, tacticool bros and first time hunters. They show up, have someone else sight in their rifle and leave.
That makes me want to puke.

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
You would be surprised if you knew how a lot of hunters “zero” their rifles, the pie plate zero isn’t just a saying. They will literally put a pie plate on a tree or whatnot and if they hit it from like a whopping 20 yards (but 200 in fudd speak) it’s zero’d and they’re ready to go wound game. There’s also a lot of them that will bring them to gun stores and have the “gunsmith” who’s usually barely qualified to install scope flip covers bore sight their rifle and they head to the woods without firing a single shot.

It’s astounding how many irresponsible clueless people roam the woods during hunting season.

There are a lot of responsible hunters too, but **** if the fudds and bubbas aren’t terrifying to be in the woods with.

All disturbing enough. But like... is behavior like this really that widespread? Am I/are we really the 90th percentile for caring to set up reliable gear and working to be proficient at a perishable skill?

I witness general dipshittery at the local public range but I always had the impression that most of the offenders were just gun enthusiasts and never hunted or used their rifles outside the range at all. My original question probably can't be answered, but I just can't stomach the idea that even a majority of hunters wouldn't care to be sure where their rifles are shooting.

All disturbing enough. But like... is behavior like this really that widespread? Am I/are we really the 90th percentile for caring to set up reliable gear and working to be proficient at a perishable skill?

I witness general dipshittery at the local public range but I always had the impression that most of the offenders were just gun enthusiasts and never hunted or used their rifles outside the range at all. My original question probably can't be answered, but I just can't stomach the idea that even a majority of hunters wouldn't care to be sure where their rifles are shooting.

Go to any 100 yard range in any hunting area the weekends leading up to rifle season. I’d suggest a vest with rifle rated plates for attire. You’ll see what I mean.

Xbow hunter

Lil-Rokslider
You would really be surprised if you talked to some people who hit deer and can’t find them. It sucks having to explain to grown men why full metal jacket ammo is not good for hunting. Being a 308 does not make up for bad ammo choices.

Mudslinger

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone done one of these? Thoughts? Recommendations or anyone to avoid?

Edit to add: Looking for a course around hunting situations out to 1000ish yards.

Thinking a 2 day course and not afraid to travel a bit if needed. Think I’d prefer to use my own rifle but not opposed to using theirs if one if required either. Heard good things about the Gunwerks courses from some of my clients but afraid it will end up as sales pitch which I’m not interested in.

I’ve been thinking about attending one of these for a while now mainly in hopes of honing the fundamentals and technique but also to improve my ability to read the wind. I’m pretty spoiled and get to shoot more than most and have a good grasp on the basics but know there is always room for improvement.
Checkout Rolling Bones Outdoors. I can help get you signed up if you need.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

90th percentile? Nah, a person that actually has a zeroed rifle that they have shot this year, with ammo that is the same type/kind they are hunting with, would put them in the 99th plus percentile.

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
90th percentile? Nah, a person that actually has a zeroed rifle that they have shot this year, with ammo that is the same type/kind they are hunting with, would put them in the 99th plus percentile.

99th plus. If true and not hyperbole, I repeat my previous use of "insane".

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Anyone done one of these? Thoughts? Recommendations or anyone to avoid?

Edit to add: Looking for a course around hunting situations out to 1000ish yards.

Thinking a 2 day course and not afraid to travel a bit if needed. Think I’d prefer to use my own rifle but not opposed to using theirs if one if required either. …..
While doing your research, consider a couple of suggestions. 1) Pick a school that provides rifles w/quality scopes & “assigns” you a dedicated rifle for the course duration (so you can/will re-zero to you), provides unlimited quality ammo, and quality spotting scopes all inclusive. 2) Range time w/their rifles is 100% suppressed. You and your classmates will like each other a lot more if someone is not 6’ away at the bench next to yours banging away on their personal lightweight braked .300 something mag.

Last edited:

Confirming as others have, it's bad. I'm a member at a local private range and we raise money every year doing "public rifle sight in day" on two weekends before firearm season opens. The shit we have to do to make sure nothing bad happens is hard to believe:
  1. Have to check the bore of every rifle to make sure it isn't obstructed - because it's been a problem in the past
  2. Have to check the ammunition to make sure they are shooting the right cartridge for their gun - catch or miss problems with this near annually. Last year it was a guy shooting 6 creed in a 6.5 creed but its been off in the wrong direction in the past.
  3. Have a club member sitting beside each shooter at the benches as they are shooting. Making sure they don't shoot someone or send a round over the berms and off the range, teaching them how to hold a rifle steadily (often), spotting impacts, helping them make scope adjustments appropriately, and troubleshooting their weapon when it doesn't shoot like anything that should be ethically used to shoot animals (often).

This range is 5 minutes from my house and I went there to get a new scope zeroed quick on public sight-in day as a non-member a few years back. I was like WTF guys, these are basics leave me alone. But i get it now. I work the benches and try to help people get zeroed now. It's eye opening.

Last edited:

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
Confirming as others have, it's bad. I'm a member at a local private range and we raise money every year doing "public rifle sight in day" on two weekends before firearm season opens. The shit we have to do to make sure nothing bad happens is hard to believe:
  1. Have to check the bore of every rifle to make sure it isn't obstructed - because it's been a problem in the past
  2. Have to check the ammunition to make sure they are shooting the right cartridge for their gun - catch or miss problems with this near annually. Last year it was a guy shooting 6 creed in a 6.5 creed but its been off in the wrong direction in the past.
  3. Have a club member sitting beside each shooter at the benches as they are shooting. Making sure they don't shoot someone or send a round over the berms and off the range, teaching them how to hold a rifle steadily (often), spotting impacts, helping them make scope adjustments appropriately, and troubleshooting their weapon when it doesn't shoot like anything that should be ethically used to shoot animals (often).

This range is 5 minutes from my house and I went there to get a new scope zeroed quick as a non-member a few years back. I was like WTF guys, these are basics leave me alone. But i get it now. I work the benches and try to help people get zeroed now. It's eye opening.

I need a new stupid superlative phrase. This all is hard to believe. These are basics. I still refuse to consider myself excellent for doing and caring about them.

But I appreciate the eye opener stories. If the situation is this dire and you're telling me I'm the 1%, maybe I should find a way to volunteer in a similar fashion to help reduce the chances of disasters due to negligence.

SDHNTR

WKR
While doing your research, consider a couple of suggestions. 1) Pick a school that provides rifles w/quality scopes & “assigns” you a dedicated rifle for the course duration (so you can/will re-zero to you), provides unlimited quality ammo, and quality spotting scopes all inclusive. 2) Range time w/their rifles is 100% suppressed. You and your classmates will like each other a lot more if someone is not 6’ away at the bench next to yours banging away on their personal lightweight braked .300 something mag.
Huh? If I’m going to a shooting school, I’m taking MY gun! Why practice with someone else’s? You aren’t taking that gun into the field. Practice makes permanent. And practice like you hunt.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Huh? If I’m going to a shooting school, I’m taking MY gun! Why practice with someone else’s? You aren’t taking that gun into the field. Practice makes permanent. And practice like you hunt.
Absolutely agree & you can, but someone may want to take advantage of an all inclusive school that provides the expensive quality factory ammo. Two days of shooting school ….. easily could fire 100-120 rounds which are already paid for. Throw in a supplied quality, suppressed, long range configured rifle & scope and it can make sense. However, can’t argue the factors of learning on your own equipment.

Remember you are the 1% (using the info from Form’s post).

For the 99%, too much class time would be spent just getting folks’ rifles ready for the class, assuming they brought enough correct ammo.

Don’t need to be a WKR to figure out how to apply the lessons learned from a class to all of your current and future firearms. You wouldn’t keep taking the class for every new firearm that you get.

But if someone is hell bent on using their own stuff, it is entirely doable. Just be prepared to pony up the cash for a one on one course. I went this route and was well worth it. Am going to see if I can do a “refresher” session or two this summer.

I need a new stupid superlative phrase. This all is hard to believe. These are basics. I still refuse to consider myself excellent for doing and caring about them.

But I appreciate the eye opener stories. If the situation is this dire and you're telling me I'm the 1%, maybe I should find a way to volunteer in a similar fashion to help reduce the chances of disasters due to negligence.
Could be a great opportunity for a local SCI (or equivalent) chapter assuming there’s not a legal or financial risk.

Remember you are the 1% (using the info from Form’s post).

For the 99%, too much class time would be spent just getting folks’ rifles ready for the class, assuming they brought enough correct ammo.

Don’t need to be a WKR to figure out how to apply the lessons learned from a class to all of your current and future firearms. You wouldn’t keep taking the class for every new firearm that you get.

But if someone is hell bent on using their own stuff, it is entirely doable. Just be prepared to pony up the cash for a one on one course. I went this route and was well worth it. Am going to see if I can do a “refresher” session or two this summer.

The one course I took, half of the first day was classroom review of the basics, second half was testing the tracking on everyone's scope, getting a good zero, and practicing fundamentals at 100-200 yards. Most of day 2 was confirming dope from 300-1000 and positional stuff.

I'd say the majority of the class was in that 1% type classification but I'd say about 10% had equipment that just didn't work properly and 50% needed 15 or more rounds to get a solid 100 yard zero. So for over 50% of the people who showed up with what they thought was equipment ready to go, it wasn't. BUT, going through that process was probably helpful for most of the shooters to help them recognize what they needed to do to get their setup squared away before anything else.