Shooting School Recommendation?

bbrown

WKR
Anyone done one of these? Thoughts? Recommendations or anyone to avoid?

Edit to add: Looking for a course around hunting situations out to 1000ish yards.

Thinking a 2 day course and not afraid to travel a bit if needed. Think I’d prefer to use my own rifle but not opposed to using theirs if one if required either. Heard good things about the Gunwerks courses from some of my clients but afraid it will end up as sales pitch which I’m not interested in.

I’ve been thinking about attending one of these for a while now mainly in hopes of honing the fundamentals and technique but also to improve my ability to read the wind. I’m pretty spoiled and get to shoot more than most and have a good grasp on the basics but know there is always room for improvement.

Last edited:
What type of shooting school are you wanting?Going to assume long range.

If it is associated with a specific brand (ex: GunWerks, Best of the West), it will be valuable but expect a periodic sales pitch. The good news is you get to use their rifles and their ammo (which may save you some serious money depending on the shooting volume).

You can look at doing a one-on-one with them (or some other reputable school/instructor). This may be a bit more expensive but you will get their sole attention, may get everything videoed (awesome for instant corrections), should be able to use your equipment and ammo, etc. But if you go this route, your stuff better be dialed in or you will be pissing away your money validating everything before your training really begins.

kickemall

WKR
Snipers Hide Training courses with Frank and Mark. Check snipershide,com for course dates and description. They have them in multiple locations including CO. and are really good with wind. Also reasonably priced.

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
Knew I was forgetting something - mid to long(er) range but not looking for anything too extreme. It will probably end up being 2-4 of us that want to attend. 2 are just looking to improve out to normal hunting ranges 4-500 tops.

I get to shoot out to 450 at my place pretty regularly so I’m hoping to get more comfortable out further. Completing load development for multiple rifles per month really shows that most modern rifles are more capable than the “nut behind the trigger” which hurts to admit sometimes…

Thanks for the replies so far!

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
Forgot to add this would be almost exclusively for hunting scenarios as none of us are into the competitive or PRS stuff

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
PM sent. Some recommended above are not geared to the hunter and are off a bench…..you will want to avoid those. Did a ton of research on this before finding the school I went with this last summer…..couldn’t have been happier.

crich

WKR
PM sent. Some recommended above are not geared to the hunter and are off a bench…..you will want to avoid those. Did a ton of research on this before finding the school I went with this last summer…..couldn’t have been happier.
Interested to hear where you went as well.

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
I did Bobby Harts school over in eastern PA was a great time and learned alot. He has a hunting situation course as well as a 1000 yd course.

PaulIV

FNG
I attended the nra Whittington center long range precision class and enjoyed it. I plan to do more classes with them. It’s a great facility.

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
Did the Barbour Creek 4 day class earlier this year. The first two days are definitely gear and ballistic focused but they do teach a ton about reading wind and how rounds react in different shooting conditions. Shooting the first two days was out to 1000 yards at a bunch of steel animal cutouts. The first two days are shot out of their shoot house building.

If you chose to do the full four day course, the last two days are more hunting focused and the shooting takes place in more “field conditions”. They bring out packs, tripods, bipods, etc and allow you to experiment with the equipment while shooting at longer ranges. The 2nd two days, shots are between 650 and 1750 yards if I remember correctly.

They provide the guns and ammo and their facilities are first class. There was a group of us that went and we stayed in their on site cabin which was amazing. Food was first class and everyone there was awesome. James (the guy with the flattop) is a 30ish year special ops sniper and was extremely knowledgeable and happily answered all of our questions. Mark (owner) is a great guy and made sure everything was 5 star.

This place is more of a “shooting resort” than just a school and is fully staffed with a cook, cleaning, and pretty much anything you’d want or need.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
I also would like to know what school.
Non-Typical Outfitters - it was 100% geared to the Western Hunter. Conducted from a Wall Tent camp in South-Western Wyoming. Focus on technique to make LR shots across canyons to kill the buck or bull of a lifetime. Rob Wiley started this school after being approached by US Special Forces to teach their teams mountain shooting techniques (ie - for Afghanistan, etc). I had a blast at this school. They had so many metal deer, elk, bear, and wolf targets all scattered throughout the landscape, and encouraged attendees to practice in the evenings, and to stay late on the last day. Another thing that was cool - some of the scenarios were on horseback (ie - locate some targets in the distance, tie up your horse, and engage your target(s).