Replacing Stock on a Beretta 686

atmat

WKR
Does anyone know how difficult it is to replace the stock on a Beretta 686 SP? I bought a used one here on RS, but the LOP was cut down to 12.5”, which is too short for me. I see takeoffs going for $100 on eBay. Will those be direct fit, or will it require some woodworking?

Seller didn’t know the LOP had been cut and has offered a refund. However, I’m not totally opposed to having a 12.5” LOP as a backup stock for when my girls get old enough to shoot.

eamyrick

WKR
I have two. I’ve called Cole’s before. They are fitted to each gun. Of course they sell wood. You can get some beautiful stocks for 8-900

OP
A

atmat

WKR
Ironically the eBay listings are from Coles Gunsmithing. He messaged me back saying they all need minor woodworking to fit, and that he estimates someone charging $200 to do the work. Thanks all.

Macintosh

WKR
Ive worked on dozens of 686’s, they are super easy. Shoot me a message if I can help with anything. If you dont smoke it on, normal pactice would be to bed the recoil lug—you want the recoil lug to take the recoil, key is to make sure the stock wings where it mates with the sides of the action are flush but not the only recoil-bearing surface. Its a 6mm long allen wrench to remove the stock, new one will bolt right on. Beretta also makes different thickness fitted pads so you can adjust a bit further that way.
The forend may not match so usually its a set. That should be drop-in fit.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
Beretta 686 is a shotgun! I have yet to see a recoil lug on mine…LOL
Its like Prego…it’s in there. Its inside the action at the back of the tang (the throughbolt is threaded directly into it), and needs to make full contact with the stock to prevent the very narrow “wings” on either side of the tang from taking the brunt of thousands of rounds of cumulative recoil—that would allow the action to set back, and the wedge-shaped tang would split the stock in half. Trust me, it’s there and you need it.

DMITCH

FNG
New here. Would you entertain selling the 12.5? Anyone know where to find a shorter stock for Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 1 28?

OP
A

atmat

WKR
New here. Would you entertain selling the 12.5? Anyone know where to find a shorter stock for Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 1 28?
I took the refund on the gun. Getting a new full length stock cut put me over the price of a new one. Sorry!