Shooting a animal head on?

brewer427

WKR
I just got done reading an article in the most recent Extreme elk and a guy shot a bull in the chest while he was directly facing him. Then I watched a episode of Meat Eater and he took a head on brisket shot. I was just wondering what you guys think of these kind of shots. It seems to me to be getting more and more popular in the hunting community.

Now me I'm not okay with it, in extreme elk the guy talks about how he's released hundred's of arrows preparing for this moment. I personally don't care how much you shoot, there's just to many things that could go wrong. If your a hair to the left or right I fill you'll be putting that animal in a lot of unnecessary pain and may not find him after the shot. Then on meat eater he did the same thing with a Moose and it ended up taking 3-4 shots to finally kill the animal.

In both instances it took a while for the animal to die, the Elk in extreme elk was leaving a very little blood trail causing them to almost not find the animal and on meat eater the bull also took a long time to die. I guess I'm just a little baffled why people would be okay with taking these shots. Is there something I'm missing?

At the end of the episode on Meat Eater I no Steven Rinella said he wouldn't ever take that shot again, but I do no there is a lot of other people that will.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would have no problem taking the shot at close range. It has much less room for error than broad side. In the end everyone has to decide what level they are proficient at and live with the results. This is like a effective range question it is different for everyone. I guess its not my place to tell others what is ethical and what's not

I shot my elk head on with my bow this year. 10 yard shot. He made it 40 yards an lived under 10 seconds. There is a time and a place for the shot, given the opportunity I will take it again.

Jimbob

WKR
I will take a head on shot in the right circumstances. I had a bull moose head on at 7yds when I was at full draw but didn't shoot. Moose have a lot of neck and snout that blocks their chest, especially when they are grunting and have their head down pointing at you. However if that was a deer or elk standing with its head up I would shoot in a second.

Thankfully that moose didn't keep coming at me and he finally took a step to his left opening up his vitals for a slight quartering to shot. Slightly quartering at 7 yds no problem, slightly quartering at 40 yds and I'm waiting.

Each shot and circumstance is different, you need to know your abilities, the animals anatomy and the situation (animals alertness, distance, wind, elevation, obstructions etc)

jmez

WKR
I have no problem taking a head on shot. Given the right circumstances and distance I would not even hesitate.

Poser

WKR
I will pass on this shot in 99% of circumstances. I had an opportunity where I could have shot 2 does at 20 yards this past Fall when I spooked them out of their beds and they were both staring at me trying to figure out if I was a threat. At that range with a 30-06, it would have been a done deal, but too messy IMO. I tend to stick to a broadside, double lung shot, or don't take the shot. I definitely refuse to do the "Texas heart shot" under any circumstance.

Know the anatomy of the animal you are hunting, use the heavy arrow set-up without sacrificing accuracy, shaving sharp broadheads and be proficient. I'll take it every time.

7mag.

WKR
I have taken that shot on deer with a rifle several times with great results. However, my uncle shot a cow elk with a muzzle loader head on at 40 yards, and it took us hours to find her. Zero blood trail, and she made it over 300 yards in thick cover before dying.

2rocky

WKR
I know Aron had an article on this somewhere.

Knowing the anatomy is the key. Most Bowhunters can shoot at least half dollar sized groups all day under 20 yards. The key is picking a spot.

Shrek

WKR
All angles and ranges have their place and knowing when you can execute a shot is part of the skills. If you have hard and fast rules it means you lack confidence in your ability and judgment. Turning down a frontal shot by rule means you don't know animal anatomy well enough. I shot a buck with a frontal shot two years ago at a little over 200 yards with my rifle and he just rocked back on his haunches with his front legs straight out and his rears folded up under him like he was going to spring forward , head between his front legs. Never even flinched. If you have the arrow or bullet to penetrate and the ability to deliver it then shoot.

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
Call me inexperienced if you want but I doubt I will ever take a head on shot. Ive chased too many gut shot animals that others shot and seen too many killed but not recovered bulls to even consider a head on shot with a bow. I respect the animals I hunt too much to take a less than ethical shot

Shrek

WKR
I respect the animals I hunt too much to take a less than ethical shot[/QUOTE]

So , Colo4x4XJ , anyone who takes a frontal shot is an unethical hunter in your opinion ?

Call me inexperienced if you want but I doubt I will ever take a head on shot. Ive chased too many gut shot animals that others shot and seen too many killed but not recovered bulls to even consider a head on shot with a bow. I respect the animals I hunt too much to take a less than ethical shot

What does a gut shot animal have to do with a frontal shot?

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
For the record I was refering to archery shots, head on shots with a rifle is different. Morals and ethics are defined by the person who holds them. Even though I live in the elk woods and have been chasing them most of my young life I dont feel comfortable taking a shot head on with a bow and dont think it would be as effective. Some people disagree. Some people also think dogging elk with an ATV is ok too....To each his own
Also I said gut shot but really meant wounded guess I mis spoke. All too often elk are hit in one lung and still run for miles, sometimes getting lost and expiring long after the shot was taken. With a smaller target and thicker bone protecting the vital organs head on, I feel as though there are too many variables. Dont worry, my presence on here will slowly dissolve as the elk start dropping antlers. Good luck with draw results everyone. Hope you got the tag you wanted. Bye

Last edited:

littlebuf

Banned
It's a great kill shot. Have personally taken it successfully, clean fast kill with a bow. It's also been what to death on the Internet including here. If your not comfortable with it you probably shouldn't be and likely don't have the skill to take it. So don't

ChadS

Lil-Rokslider
Killed this bull with a facing/quarter shot, he was downhill looking up at me at 32 yards. I've shot a lot of whitetail in the pocket in front of the shoulder at the base of the neck and it is super lethal. I don't encourage the shot if you do now know anatomy well, but if you do and you can hit what you're aiming at then let 'er rip.

110.jpg