Shooting a animal head on?

jmez

WKR
All comes down to you level of shooting comfort and understanding of topographical anatomy of an animal.

This a lethal shot.

Here's a video of the elk I shot head on this year. I didn't hesitate taking the frontal shot at 200 yards. The results are remarkable. After he rolls you can see the blood pour out of his nose if you watch closely. This was with a .308 shooting 150 grain Barnes TTSX. With a bow I'd take the same shot within a certain distance.
http://youtu.be/pL6FbUj41-E

Good shot, i have no problem with head on quartering to shots with magnum rifles.. I've done it plenty of times. You guys were sure heavy on the cow calls hahah

Good shot, i have no problem with head on quartering to shots with magnum rifles.. I've done it plenty of times. You guys were sure heavy on the cow calls hahah

Yeah, not my style, but the guide was working it. Blowing two at once. Trying to sound like as many elk as possible. As messed up as I thought it sounded, that bull came in from a long way away...goes to show sometimes you can throw convention out the window!

Rizzy

WKR
I would imagine that the copper bullets likes TTSX and Arrows are better suited to this type of shot. I think the traditional softnose lead bullets that I use to use would be more likely to have trouble with penetration and deflect.
After pondering this a little, I would probably take the shot with my Barnes copper bullets or at close range with an arrow. I'm more confident on accurate penetration with these, especially the TTSX.

joehunter8301

Lil-Rokslider
attachment.php

With a rifle it wouldn't even be considered shoot or not. Wouldn't hesitate anytime with a bang stick.

Since I'm an archery exclusive guy I'll speak on that. Under the right conditions in close quarters I wouldn't hesitate to take a head on. As justin said learn animal anatomy and you'll know where you need to aim and it will kill any animal quick. I used to be opposed to frontals but after learning anatomy better I would take the shot if I felt comfortable. I took my first frontal on this hog a while back at 11 yards. He was feeding right at me and unaware of my presence and I felt 100% comfortable. Arrows exited 2" from his pecker and I watched him tip over bout 100 yards out. Again knowing anatomy played the most important role in that shot. I took out both lungs and the liver.

That's also another reason I like to shoot a coc bh and medium-hvy setups. I shoot 70 lbs and was considering 80# til I saw the performance on this guy!

trkyslr

WKR
The frontal shot is one of the most deadly shot placements out there. More so than broadside. Frontal shots result in massive blood loss and dead animals quick. Simply devastating. All the arteries in the neck area plus your goes and hits vitals and internal organs!

If you aren't comfortable taking the shot...then don't take it. But learn the anatomy of animals if you want to widen your kill shot oppurtunities.

I have taken the shot and killed a few animals with the frontal shot. If the animal is close I'm not afraid to take the shot.

Bigdan from bowsite has killed 50 something elk with a bow. He has gone 17 for 17 on quartering to or frontal shots.

BOOOOOMMM!!! there it is there the truth and facts... My thoughts as well

OP
brewer427

brewer427

WKR
What would your max range be for a frontal archery shot. From the posts I've read 20yards or less seems to be the average. Anybody farther then that with a bow?

joehunter8301

Lil-Rokslider
For me the situation dictates. I could say 20 yards but if I got what looks like a good shot at 22 yard you bet I'm takin it. Typically inside 25 would be my comfort zone. But I'd take a 40 yarder at a rabbit head on no prob :)

OP
brewer427

brewer427

WKR
Perhaps I'll have to reconsider my position on this shot.

That's what I was thinking after reading all these posts. I didn't realize so me animals were successfully taken this way. I new if you could make the shot correctly it was lethal but didn't think it was the most ethical thing to do. Time to do some research.

I appreciate all your replies, opened my eyes to a possibility of more shot opportunities.
Thanks