Shoot2Hunt University

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
2. I see most people are bringing 223 for the class, or people hunting with that also or swapping to something like a 6.5prc/magnum?
After taking the class with a borrowed 223 , I bought one and have since retired my 300 win mag and 7 wby mag and made the 223 my go-to hunting rifle. I'm not a long range killer (yet :) ) so the 223 does everything I need it to up to the 500 or so yards I believe I'm capable of under perfect conditions.
Like I said, I'm not into long range yet, but I don't know why the 223 wouldn't do everything needed to
transfer to a LR capable outfit after taking the class.

My son picked up a 223 also and here's the results of this year's efforts.
The elk were shot at ( if I remember correctly) 180 and 320 yards.
4 bullets. 4 dead animals. No wounding. No trailing. No ruined meat.
It's safe to say this outcome would never have happened for me without the class.

Attachments

• IMG_2400.jpg
    IMG_2400.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2401.jpg
    IMG_2401.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2531.jpg
    IMG_2531.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 125

ruger35

FNG
Asking cause I’ve already built 3 rifles this year, trying to avoid building a trainer if possible lol. Wish I would have found this course before I built my 6GT.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Would a 10-11lb 6.5cm be shoot able for the entire class?

Sure. You can do it with a 338 mag if you want. Is a 6.5cm ideal for 1,000 rounds in 5 days? No, but it is far from a “bad” choice. You will lean faster and more with a correctly put together 223. As well the barrel heats up a lot slower which matters with barrel mirage. You’ll also go through half, to one third of a 6.5cm’s barrel life in that week.

lol I’d endure heckling and do it with a 16lb 308

No heckling from me- I shot about 800 rounds of 308 in the classes this year. It’s not as ideal to learn on, but it will certainly work and has the added benefit of nearly unlimited functional barrel life.

ruger35

FNG
Sure. You can do it with a 338 mag if you want. Is a 6.5cm ideal for 1,000 rounds in 5 days? No, but it is far from a “bad” choice. You will lean faster and more with a correctly put together 223. As well the barrel heats up a lot slower which matters with barrel mirage. You’ll also go through half, to one third of a 6.5cm’s barrel life in that week.

No heckling from me- I shot about 800 rounds of 308 in the classes this year. It’s not as ideal to learn on, but it will certainly work and has the added benefit of nearly unlimited functional barrel life.
Thanks for the input. I have a modbb 6.5cm barrel but it’s too heavy in regards to the barrel life part. Guess I need to get another bolt and barrel and build a 223.

I was only asking cause since I’ve found this thread and looked up the class I’m determined to make the class/hunt next year.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks for the input. I have a modbb 6.5cm barrel but it’s too heavy in regards to the barrel life part. Guess I need to get another bolt and barrel and build a 223.

I was only asking cause since I’ve found this thread and looked up the class I’m determined to make the class/hunt next year.

You could rent a 223 setup.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to take a moment to commend the entire staff of S2HU on providing a great course with excellent instruction. I went to the first week and it was very humbling, being filled with a mix of ups and downs. That said, I knew I was a far better shooter when I left after that week and learned many valuable lessons along the way.

What I didn’t appreciate is how much those fundamentals would stick with me and continue to improve my shooting going forward. Today was my first time getting out since making some minor adjustments to my Tikka factory stocks and adding the Xeno muzzle device system to make swapping the suppressor easier between rifles. I’d love to have Rokstoks and suppressors for every rifle but that dream will have to wait a little longer. In the mean time, I’ve raised the recoil pad and created a negative comb on my factory stock and am really happy with it as a stopgap until I can pick up a few rokstoks.

For perspective, I tried the hunting rifle drill a few times before the course and always struggled with it, usually scoring about 10/20. I didn’t repeat the drill today for score but instead I spent about 200 rounds working on building positions for prone, seated supported and offhand to get a feel for my stock modifications. About 50 rounds were out of my 6.5 Creed and the rest were shot with my 223 RSS.

These results speak for themselves, especially when you consider I was a 2+ MOA shooter prone going into the course and barely could hold 5 MOA in the seated supported position prior to attending S2HU.

Thanks for making me a better shooter, can’t wait to put this into practice on deer and elk in a few months!

Attachments

• IMG_8872.jpeg
    IMG_8872.jpeg
    703.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_8879.png
    IMG_8879.png
    722.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_8880.png
    IMG_8880.png
    734 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8881.png
    IMG_8881.png
    806.7 KB · Views: 96

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Just wanted to take a moment to commend the entire staff of S2HU on providing a great course with excellent instruction. I went to the first week and it was very humbling, being filled with a mix of ups and downs. That said, I knew I was a far better shooter when I left after that week and learned many valuable lessons along the way.

What I didn’t appreciate is how much those fundamentals would stick with me and continue to improve my shooting going forward. Today was my first time getting out since making some minor adjustments to my Tikka factory stocks and adding the Xeno muzzle device system to make swapping the suppressor easier between rifles. I’d love to have Rokstoks and suppressors for every rifle but that dream will have to wait a little longer. In the mean time, I’ve raised the recoil pad and created a negative comb on my factory stock and am really happy with it as a stopgap until I can pick up a few rokstoks.

For perspective, I tried the hunting rifle drill a few times before the course and always struggled with it, usually scoring about 10/20. I didn’t repeat the drill today for score but instead I spent about 200 rounds working on building positions for prone, seated supported and offhand to get a feel for my stock modifications. About 50 rounds were out of my 6.5 Creed and the rest were shot with my 223 RSS.

These results speak for themselves, especially when you consider I was a 2+ MOA shooter prone going into the course and barely could hold 5 MOA in the seated supported position prior to attending S2HU.

Thanks for making me a better shooter, can’t wait to put this into practice on deer and elk in a few months!

Have been trying to keep things up as well. On thing to practice/be aware of, with the exposed negative comb, it will catch when carried in a rifle carrier, practice sweeping it free

philcox

WKR
I have an extra Tikka OEM stock sitting around, and I was thinking of trying to build a "rokstock" like out of it. I remember seeing some instructions on how to do this, but can't seem to find them. Anyone have a pointer? As a side note, my rokstock was ordered mid May, but I am not even going to start thinking about it until October (or when the box shows up). I was thinking about making one to practice with. Any pointers are appreciated.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I have an extra Tikka OEM stock sitting around, and I was thinking of trying to build a "rokstock" like out of it. I remember seeing some instructions on how to do this, but can't seem to find them. Anyone have a pointer? As a side note, my rokstock was ordered mid May, but I am not even going to start thinking about it until October (or when the box shows up). I was thinking about making one to practice with. Any pointers are appreciated.

I added the verticle grip option. Used some extra KRG LOP plates to raise the butt pad. Foam /cardboard and tape/vet wrap to raise cheek area. Never got around to making the under side of the stock flat.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Good morning, guys.

I'm back in a Tikka after a long hiatus.

Can someone post a photo of what they consider to be "neutral thumb"?

I'm moving around between extremes of a grabby laid over thumb and a thumb right on top of the shroud but the chamber indicator sliding under my thumb makes that feel not correct as well.

Reactions: NSI

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Good morning, guys.

I'm back in a Tikka after a long hiatus.

Can someone post a photo of what they consider to be "neutral thumb"?

I'm moving around between extremes of a grabby laid over thumb and a thumb right on top of the shroud but the chamber indicator sliding under my thumb makes that feel not correct as well.
Look up "Stangskyting" competitions on youtube , not a neutral thumb placement, but trigger finger is right up your alley.

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider
Nice, some great write-ups in here!

I do question the need for 1,000 rounds of ammo (post #104), or anything close to that. I've done a lot of professional precision rifle training courses, including some of the top courses in the country. Rifles Only has a 400 round count for a 5 day course, for example.

S2H websites informational booklet says to only bring 400 rounds of ammo, which seems much more in line with my experience with other professional shooting courses.

There will be a lot of diminishing returns shooting 1,000 rounds over 5 days versus 300-400. That's also a lot of ammo cost and essentially the barrel life of a 6mm Creedmoor.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I do question the need for 1,000 rounds of ammo (post #104), or anything close to that. I've done a lot of professional precision rifle training courses, including some of the top courses in the country. Rifles Only has a 400 round count for a 5 day course, for example.

S2H websites informational booklet says to only bring 400 rounds of ammo, which seems much more in line with my experience with other professional shooting courses.

There will be a lot of diminishing returns shooting 1,000 rounds over 5 days versus 300-400. That's also a lot of ammo cost and essentially the barrel life of a 6mm Creedmoor.
The Barrel Preservationists Society is meeting in the next room.

1000 rounds is accurate but I think they know they need to update the brochure.

The only diminishing returns for me were not wanting to go home and stay another week and keep shooting with my new buddies.

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider
The Barrel Preservationists Society is meeting in the next room.

1000 rounds is accurate but I think they know they need to update the brochure.

The only diminishing returns for me were not wanting to go home and stay another week and keep shooting with my new buddies.

The only barrel burner I have is a .300NM, and obviously that would not be going to a course like this. Barrels are consumables.

But I strongly believe that 1,000 rounds over 5 days is far into the law of diminishing returns.

I bet in a few years S2H will reduce their round count, once they figure out what precision rifle trainers before them have figured out a long time ago.

Jimbee

WKR
The only barrel burner I have is a .300NM, and obviously that would not be going to a course like this. Barrels are consumables.

But I strongly believe that 1,000 rounds over 5 days is far into the law of diminishing returns.

I bet in a few years S2H will reduce their round count, once they figure out what precision rifle trainers before them have figured out a long time ago.
I bet you shoot 3 round groups