Shoot2Hunt University

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
You've obviously attended different training than I have. Most of the shooting in the professional courses I've attended are positional, and without the aid of a tripod.

The S2H training looks very interesting. Keep up the good work. Again, I'm not bagging on you guys.

I could easily see 1k rounds for the week, w the vast majority being .223, no worries about barrel wear.

I did the spring class, so shorter days compared to Summer class, but we used the entire day and a good part of the nights. We cut the third day short and I still went through right around 500 rounds.

I think as a group day 3 was a brain strain, quite the opposite of diminishing returns though. You had gone through the fundamentals, then you start to get up and move while leaning how to work as a team. While adding new skills and team work you are moving through terrain. You are trying to hold together the fundamentals, but simple shit gets difficult.

Total supposition, but I can imagine days 4 and 5 shooting increases as the new skills and fundamentals settle and you start being able to employ the fundamentals a little better and focus on the new skills.

I can see where a second rifle, ie your primary hunting rifle, would come in play trying out different cartridges in new terrain and letting the .223 cool off.

All that to say, it was a helluva lot of fun and I can’t wait to return.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
  • Ditch CTR mags. To me, they suck in inclement weather. This was the second time they have failed on me and I brought new mags with me to the course hoping it was just a fluke the first time I had issues with them. I “fixed” them, but we didn’t have rain after I got them running again and would not be surprised if they failed again. To this point, bring a reliable rifle system period – test it before you attend. Problems cost valuable training time.
Was wondering if you could elaborate on the CTR magazine issues a bit more… just curious as I have a few and want to make sure I’m thorough in evaluating them, would be helpful to learn from your experience too if you don’t mind :). Were the followers binding up inside the box? Are there particular/different design features about an AI style mag (or other) that were observed to be less problematic?

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
Was wondering if you could elaborate on the CTR magazine issues a bit more… just curious as I have a few and want to make sure I’m thorough in evaluating them, would be helpful to learn from your experience too if you don’t mind :). Were the followers binding up inside the box? Are there particular/different design features about an AI style mag (or other) that were observed to be less problematic?
Don’t get me wrong, they function fine in a generally clean, static environment (except they really don’t function well with 10 rounds loaded, best performance was with 9 in the mag). Once dust or rain gets introduced into the system, the cartridges, in my experience, have a tendency to bind and not slide into battery like they’re supposed to, causing the bullet to smash and deform into the magazine well below the feed ramp and not load. I’m not sure if grit causes the follower to bind or what but the nose of the bullets appear to have issues staying “up” if you know what I mean. Stretching the follower spring and adjusting the mag lips seemed to help when I was at the class. I never had problems with the mags until I went to a dusty NRL match and the class. Shooting extended strings/multiple rounds (50+ like in a match/class) is going to accelerate the speed in which failure is experienced. Again, they work generally, but my experience with three different mags is that under stress testing, it’s clear there are more reliable options. I don’t think you want to get caught in a class or on a hunt with equipment that isn’t 100% good to go. YMMV