Shoot2Hunt University

rbutcher1234

Lil-Rokslider
Aside from increased recoil over something like a 5.56, would it be beneficial to bring a 308 to help work on wind reading? Fast 6mm seem like cheating in the wind compared to 308s.

SloppyJ

WKR
Aside from increased recoil over something like a 5.56, would it be beneficial to bring a 308 to help work on wind reading? Fast 6mm seem like cheating in the wind compared to 308s.
Got confirmation email the other day. Now I'm excited again after trying to forget about this.

I'm interested in this question thats quoted. I'll be bringing my .223 and 1k 75gr hpbt handloads. I wouldn't mind bringing a few hundred 6cm rounds and my extra barrel to swap on there to get some practice with that at range to appreciate the difference but I'm unsure if it'd be more of a PITA than it's worth. I know I'm not interested in shooting that many out of my 300prc! It's a year away, so who knows what kind or rifles I'll build between now and then.

How are yall flying with all of that ammo or are you shipping it out before you leave? Still deciding on driving vs flying but that's a HELL of a drive for me. Around 22hrs or so I believe so I bet I'll fly and rent a car.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

I'm interested in this question thats quoted. I'll be bringing my .223 and 1k 75gr hpbt handloads. I wouldn't mind bringing a few hundred 6cm rounds and my extra barrel to swap on there to get some practice with that at range to appreciate the difference but I'm unsure if it'd be more of a PITA than it's worth.

Bring whatever your #1 hunting rifle is, or whatever rifle you would take on a once in a lifetime hunt and 150-200 rounds for it. Then, the 800 or so rounds for whatever your practice gun is (should be a good 223).

You can also bring another rifle or two to try later in the week.

SloppyJ

WKR
Bring whatever your #1 hunting rifle is, or whatever rifle you would take on a once in a lifetime hunt and 150-200 rounds for it. Then, the 800 or so rounds for whatever your practice gun is (should be a good 223).

You can also bring another rifle or two to try later in the week.
Thanks Form. I can do that for sure. Has anyone brought a m70 yet? 🤣

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
2nd S@H class review

The canyons and hills made for a great place to practice and learn. Watch where you sit, there’s more than enough cactus to go around. Expect to have to walk a bit with your pack, ammo and rifle.

Accommodations: It aint no 5 star hotel, but it sure wasn’t tent camping either. Good enough.

Food: Excellent home cooked meals. If you have a sweet tooth for desert you will be in heaven.

Instructors: Excellent at the task and extremely knowledgeable. You will get the chastising you need to help you break your bad habits. And you will also see them genuinely happy as your skills increase. Overall some pretty cool dudes to be around.

Equipment: Do yourself a favor and show up with a mil scope or you will constantly hear “Jesus loves units of 10”, or something to that effect. As previously mentioned a range-finding bino is helpful, but a normal rangefinder is just fine. Bring a minimum of 700 rounds, 1000 preferred.

Classmates: You’re going to get what you get, though I’d expect your chances of getting some wankers are fairly low. For our class we had an excellent group of men to hang out with for a week. Everyone was there to learn and we had a lot of fun doing it. Team 1-6, you guys were great to shoot and learn with.

Things I learned:

• You will likely get assigned a nickname. If you’re lucky it will be one you like. If not you can join @mtnwrunner(Trandy) with one that is less than desirable.
  • BC’s matter and a 6 creed is impressive.
  • @Tanya Avery thinks that if judging both at their peak of hotness, Jessica Biel is hotter than Kate Bekinsale. Respectfully disagree.
  • A Bergara is a loathsome piece of trash that will bring you ridicule. It also was an absolute hammer out to the distances we were shooting.
  • You go for the training, but stay for the truck ride off the mountain at the end of the day. Hat tip to Jeff for sparking the entertainment.
  • You can likely bribe Dan the Gypsy with red vines.
  • Driving 1 truck up the mountain twice is not equal to driving 2 trucks up the mountain once.
  • I thought @Formidilosus would be taller.
  • If you throw the gayest stock imaginable on a 6.5creed CTR - I believe it was the bear camp stock - you get a shooter that can't quit smiling at his hit rate.

Outcome: The entire class was measurably more deadly by Friday. Increases in both hit rate and speed were readily apparent. In a nut shell, you will get what you paid for.
I said what I said.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
100 yards? Good shooting compared to most man!

What does your “unsupported seated” position look like?

Correct, 100 yard. Indian style, left over right. One of the interesting things we did was try different variations of sitting and shoot them for scores. Your best sitting position may not be what you think it is.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Correct, 100 yard. Indian style, left over right. One of the interesting things we did was try different variations of sitting and shoot them for scores. Your best sitting position may not be what you think it is.
I can't help but think about you can't help but thinking about that 8 right now.

Just kidding, nice shooting.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I guess my question is after the course is complete did y'all change your opinion on your rifle setup? Decided to sell, build something new, hunt with what you have or just transition into hunting with the .223?

I brought a SRS-A2. This platform is designed around .338 Lapua but I put a 223 conversion kit in it and I took off a 5-25x56 MOAR ATACR and put a SWFA 3-15x on it because I knew we would be shooting a lot and Form was a mil guy and I wanted to get the true essence of the class. The 3-15 was the lowest cost of entry for a drop proof mil scope to have in hand before class.

I switched to a Tikka with Rokstok during class and ended up ordering a Tikka with a Rokstok to commemorate the class and train with at home. It will wear that 3x15 SWFA or the Maven RS1.2 mil I just picked up thanks to a heads up from @Bluumoon when it's ready...until the 6x SWFA's materialize again.

I sold my MOAR 5-25x56 ATACR from my desert tech and replaced it with a 4-16x42 MIL-C ATACR. I put my Desert Tech back in its factory configuration with bigger bullets and look forward to the trainer showing up.

Last edited:
Reactions: NSI

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
How are yall flying with all of that ammo or are you shipping it out before you leave? Still deciding on driving vs flying but that's a HELL of a drive for me. Around 22hrs or so I believe so I bet I'll fly and rent a car.
I was the only flyer in my group.

I put 60 rounds of TMK's in my check in bag and brought my rifle in a Pelican case.

I bought ammo from Jake. This was offered ahead of time. It was great ammo at a great price. I think if you had a pet load you just have to have you might be on the verge of being impractically persnickety but it seems like you could mail it to the venue but then its someone elses problem until you get there.

It wouldn't be a bad plan to rent a rifle and buy ammo from Jake. That would have been a perfect plan for me in hindsight.

I didn't touch my rental car from the time I got to the facility until the moment I left so I should have at least looked at Uber/Lyft costs.