Shoot advice for cooper 6.5x284

Hey guys I'm needing some advice, I was shooting my Cooper m52 6.5 x284 Norma today and was having issues getting any decent groups. I'm using Nightforce rings, and zeiss victory 1.5-6 scope. All ammo is factory loads. First groups were about 2" groups at 100 yards and that was with hsm 140s berger hpbt bullet, second ammo was nosler 129s accubond-long range which was about 1" groups. Bore was clean when I started shooting, but didn't clean gun till i got home. Both rings base are all set to torque specs. Just can't figure it out 🤷‍♂ maybe not enough magnification on my scope.
So any advice would be appreciated.

Rob5589

WKR
How was it shooting prior to this outing? New optics set up? Different ammo?

Monty3006

FNG
What reticle do you have on the scope? I have a 1.5-6 Zeiss Victory and because it’s FFP and has a No 4 reticle when it’s on 6 power the X covers a pretty large area so it isn’t great for trying to get small groups. I use a target with prominent grid lines when I’m sighting in. That aspect aside I think it’s a great hunting scope.

OP
SavedByGrace2001
This is the first time I shot it, just put new scope and rings. Scope is the zeiss victory ht 1.5-6x42 # 60 illuminated . Love the scope, but i was thinking for shooting groups maybe getting more magnification.
The guy i bought it from was hand loading and shooting half in or less. All i have shot was factory.

Monty3006

FNG
I reread your first post and saw you started with a clean bore. If your first shot/s were from a clean bore and you are including those in the group size then this is likely making that group bigger then if you start with a fouled barrel.

Also M.O.A. from factory ammo isn’t bad in my books, particularly for a hunting rig.

16Bore

WKR
What are you expecting?
Round groups?
Vertical?
Horizontal?
Can you actually shoot?
Has anyone else shot it?

Magnification isn’t going to make 2 shits of difference.

OP
SavedByGrace2001
I don't care what the shape of the groups are, but kinda hoping for less than an inch groups.
Yes i can shoot, my brother was with me shooting his barrett fieldcraft getting close to half in group, maybe should have let him shoot it.
One thing i do know was out of the multiple three shot groups, two out of the three shots where side by side either touch or close to it and one of the three was to the left an inch and about half an inch high. This was the same pattern for all my groups. Not sure if it was the first or last that made the flyer every time.

16Bore

WKR
I’d suggest you start to care about the shape of your groups, as it tells you what the hell is going on with the rifle/optics. Parallax gets guys in more trouble than they’ll admit. Take all of your “3 shot groups” and overlay and see what kind of story it tells you.

2 in one out could be runout, sclepped up bedding, target panic, fatigue, or whatever.

Action screws play games, scope screws play games, your head plays games. I’ve fixed a lot of friends “bad rifles” by shooting them myself. I’ve also shot a pile of shitty “groups” that magically got better the next go round. Some days just suck.

16Bore

WKR
50 year old rifle, 30 year old scope, factory ammo. 1 goof outta 7.
2B24A959-4EF7-4711-809F-FC5EC39E9729.jpeg160B739A-AB9C-4976-A00E-D0A54DCB7577.jpeg

OP
SavedByGrace2001
This is this style of groups I'm getting, Two Shots side by side and one shot to the left and high. This was the same pattern in about all 6 sets of shots

Attachments

• 20200413_101506.jpg
    20200413_101506.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 18
OP
SavedByGrace2001
No thats just a drawling to show you the patter i was getting. I think cooper twist for 6.5x284 is 1-8 or 1-8.5

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This is this style of groups I'm getting, Two Shots side by side and one shot to the left and high. This was the same pattern in about all 6 sets of shots

That is not unusual. A single 10 shot group will tell you more than a dozen 3 shot “groups”. You can chase your tail, or shoot ten shots on a single target. Then you will know something instead of guessing.

Try some of these targets. You can get a diamond sized target for different ranges and getting one that seems to fit your 6x power range on the high end should be simple. I really like these targets as they are a bit thicker than most and are pre-punched to put in binders. They also have a really nice area for load description & other related information.

This should help a lot and it does help in getting the tighter group possible in your rifle. I go to a range I am a member of and the plywood backings get shot up pretty bad and it's hard to get a place to staple a target on often times, and the large splinters left behind make it difficult to staple a target flat without messing it up and the splinters made on the target when you shoot at it can tear the paper and just makes it more difficult to get exact precise locations of your bullet holes. I like to take a fair sized section of cardboard from a box or something else that I will staple to the plywood backer and then attach my targets to the cardboard. It make them a lot easier to retrieve also without making more tears in the target removing them. This is not a big deal but it does help. You can either pull the cardboard down when you are finished and throw it away or leave it stapled up. Guys coming after you will appreciate it. Hope this helps.

David

16Bore

WKR
Definitely need to shoot more and see what’s what. Runout can play games.

Take any one from the left replace it with one from the right or vice versa and you get the dreaded “2 in, 1 out”

10 shot group like Form says will tell you something. Nobody does is because when 2 touch, the 3rd is an anxiety attack. If 3 touch then the 4th is a heart attack.

That’s why benchrest guys all have pacemakers.EA53AE64-FD06-40C2-A1F1-7C67B3163D2F.jpeg