Disappointed in ELD-X/Tikka... Advice?

OP
T
Are you letting the barrel cool between your 1/2” groups and your 2” groups? Or do the big groups always come after the the small groups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am indeed, probably a good 10min or so between groups, maybe more.

I’ll suggest one more possible variable…., was the pic rail mounted before or after the Cerakote and did you bed the rail? It wouldn’t be surprising if the rail wasn’t perfectly flat or married to the receiver without any torque in the rail itself if it’s not bedded, and the Cerakote possibly could’ve complicated this even more if the rail was added after coating.

I hadn't considered this, but I did bed the rail properly with JB. The rail was installed after cerakote but I would imagine the bedding would solve any mis-match issues?
I think very few people can shoot an ubraked/unsupressed tikka superlite in 7mm consistently well. I would sell it and get a 708 or 6.5 CM.

I actually have a 6.5 CM and I do respect the round. I just don't think I can get on board with it for Elk, though I know there's plenty of people here and elsewhere that have a lot of elk meat and horns to prove me wrong... I have a lot to learn for sure and I definitely don't discount the .260 range, just not fully a believer yet I guess. For now I have a couple other rounds to try and a limbsaver should be here Saturday, I'll post an update after another shooting session on Sunday AM.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

have you checked if your scope it’s tracking? Or checked the torque on all of the screws on the bases and rings?

I have shot hornady since the 60s. In the four 7s I have, my hand loads shoot 1/4 inch groups consistantly. These are 175 gr interlocks.

Two years ago I picked up a box of 175 gr eldx to try since hornady quit making the interlock round nose bullets. I loaded up 15 or 20 of them and went to the range. At 50 yds I got my 1/4" groups. However at 100 yds those groups turned into 8 " groups . I was shocked! I finished what I had loaded and since there was no change, I dropped the rest in the garbage. And decided that hornady was no longer a viable company and have moved on. I have no idea what they were thinking.

Try something else first before you condem the gun.

OP
T
have you checked if your scope it’s tracking? Or checked the torque on all of the screws on the bases and rings?

The scope tracks just fine actually, and today I ended up checking all torques and screws matched manufacturer specs from Hawkins Precision; 25in lbs on scope rings, 65in lbs on cross bolts.

I have shot hornady since the 60s. In the four 7s I have, my hand loads shoot 1/4 inch groups consistantly. These are 175 gr interlocks.

Two years ago I picked up a box of 175 gr eldx to try since hornady quit making the interlock round nose bullets. I loaded up 15 or 20 of them and went to the range. At 50 yds I got my 1/4" groups. However at 100 yds those groups turned into 8 " groups . I was shocked! I finished what I had loaded and since there was no change, I dropped the rest in the garbage. And decided that hornady was no longer a viable company and have moved on. I have no idea what they were thinking.

Try something else first before you condem the gun.

That's crazy! I definitely haven't condemned the gun, I'll condemn myself before that, haha. I really do believe in Tikkas and Sako barrels. I don't necessarily have anything against Hornady, and I have had good success with some of their loads in other calibers. I know they work fantastically for some, and I don't doubt that. But I have had some of my best groups shot with hand-loaded Sierra SMK and Bergers.

I was all set up for reloading about 10 years ago, but ended up downsizing. My plan is to be set up to load again by hunting season 2024. I made some modifications to the stock today and I am optimistic. I plan to make a post with all the changes I've made, maybe a new thread if it warrants it. I will be shooting a bit tomorrow AM before the high desert heat kicks in, and will report back... Praying and hoping for tight groups and high fives all morning! My hunting buddy will be bringing his 6.5-300, and I can take a little comfort knowing his ammo costs a bit more than mine :)