Shield, LC9 or G43

wildcat33

WKR
Both the G43 and Shield are great guns. One thing to consider is the grip angle of the glock (22) vs M&P (18). If you're used to one or the other it may be most effective to stay with that system. I can't say if the whole grip angle thing is voodoo or not, but I do know that it takes me a minute to switch between my shield and G19 between the point of aim and the trigger style. To do it over I'd go all glock or all M&P.

compared alone, the shield gets the nod from me.
Pros: I like the ergos better, +1 mag capacity, steel mags, can be had for a steal of a price.
Cons: Needs the apex trigger upgrade ($$). Mag release safety.

I had a similar dilemma a couple years ago and eventually went with a LCP because it was very light wt., single stack making it thin/compact and allowed me to carry it in my front pocket, and was cheaper than the Sig that I was comparing it to. I pretty much carry it all the time now and don't even think about it, which was the whole reason for buying it.
953275f4c97ef0eb977767848b6a33de.jpg

Last edited:

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I sell guns, I own a Glock 43, I like the Shield, I think Ruger should stop making the LC-junk series.

If you're familiar with Glocks then you understand their advantages. The Shield is every bit as reliable as the Glock but the ergonomics are a little different so it simply feels different. The Shield also has outside controls that make it slightly more complex to use so if you don't practice a lot you won't develop the kind of muscle memory that I prefer for self defense situations and the Glock would probably suite you more. The LC pistols are simply crappy guns in my opinion. The triggers are terrible and the entire gun just doesn't feel well in my hand - it feels like an old style saturday night special.

Rather than the LC9 I'd recommend looking at a SCCY CPX-2 9mm. They feel better than an LC9 and they are inexpensive.

Glock 43 if you need small,.. Glock 19 for, accuracy and control,.. I shoot my Glock 19 better than, I ever could the G43, but my son shoots the G43 as well as I do the bigger gun, the young Pup ! Buy a GOOD Holster if, you go Glock tho, as no Safety except, the 2 stage trigger!
ramont, is "bang ON" !

Grumman

WKR
I had an LCP but couldn’t keep it from rusting. I’m used to Glocks so the G43 suits me well and the finish holds up good to sweat. I’ve not owned a Shield but it is probably a fine gun also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Springfield Armory XDS is a great little gun, accurate, good fiber optic sights, 8rds (9mm) is about perfect for me.
Might hold off for a while if looking at the Sig P365, production was halted due to issues for a while. From what I understand the updated versions are starting to ship now. Personally, I think they will be worth a serious look in a year or two....size to capacity ratio is pretty amazing.

AK_hunter

FNG
G43 all the way. I’ve owned or shot just about every compact pistol out there. The only other I would consider is the Sig 938. Just cause it’s sexy.

BigWoods

WKR
I taught permit to carry classes for a number of years in Minnesota and had the opportunity to help a lot of students make the same choice.

I personally have a Shield in 9mm and it has been absolutely flawless. It hasn't jammed a single time in the 4 years I've had it and it rarely gets a thorough cleaning. For accuracy, it has it in spaded. I can routinely hit clay pigeons at 25-30 yards and make repeated torso hits on steel out to 75 or so. Personally I tend to be a 'glock guy' with my full size pistol being a glock 34. That said, while I really don't like the ergos of the full size m&p line, the shield takes very little adjustment coming from glocks.

Since I purchased mine before the g43 was on the market, I didn't have the opportunity to make the choice between the two. I've since shot my dad's g43 a good bit. Both shoot real nice but the longer length of pull on the shield fits my large hands much better. Beyond that, it holds 1-2 more rounds and is about $100 cheaper. The g43 is a bit smaller but I manage to pocket carry my shield when needed. All that said, between the two I would simply buy the one that feels better in your hand; you'll shoot it better. If you have to convince yourself that you like the feel of a pistol, you'll never shoot it well.

I used to own a Kahr cw9 and cm9. The Kahr line has a VERY different trigger pull much more like a smooth double action revolver. That combined with the really short length of pull made transitioning between them and the Glock very difficult. While the CS was good, I had a recurring trigger reset issue with the cm9 that did a lot to undermine my confidence in the gun. Eight or ten years ago, Kahr was one of the better options for a small carry 9mm but with the advent of the shield, g43, and offerings from sig and Springfield, I think they're a bit out dated.

All the best to you!

For 9mm's.... I have a G19, G43 and a 9mm Shield. I carry all 3, but I carry the shield the most.... I carry the 43 when IWB is required and the G19 when I can afford the size (mag capacity for one and I shoot it really well). I haven't had an issue going from glocks to S&W Shield (accuracy wise). All three have been flawless (performance-wise). I did get my shield without the optional safety controls to stay more similar to what I was used to w/ glocks FWIW. For CCW, I prefer to have multiple options vs. just one gun. I'm more likely to carry more often when I have options for every situation.

You couldn't pay me to buy a ruger LC series. I love ruger products but theres better options (for me anyway) than any of their LC's.

All that said, and as a true glock and M&P fan.... my next pistol will likely be another H&K or a sig

Last edited:

AK_hunter

FNG
I taught permit to carry classes for a number of years in Minnesota and had the opportunity to help a lot of students make the same choice.

I personally have a Shield in 9mm and it has been absolutely flawless. It hasn't jammed a single time in the 4 years I've had it and it rarely gets a thorough cleaning. For accuracy, it has it in spaded. I can routinely hit clay pigeons at 25-30 yards and make repeated torso hits on steel out to 75 or so. Personally I tend to be a 'glock guy' with my full size pistol being a glock 34. That said, while I really don't like the ergos of the full size m&p line, the shield takes very little adjustment coming from glocks.

Since I purchased mine before the g43 was on the market, I didn't have the opportunity to make the choice between the two. I've since shot my dad's g43 a good bit. Both shoot real nice but the longer length of pull on the shield fits my large hands much better. Beyond that, it holds 1-2 more rounds and is about $100 cheaper. The g43 is a bit smaller but I manage to pocket carry my shield when needed. All that said, between the two I would simply buy the one that feels better in your hand; you'll shoot it better. If you have to convince yourself that you like the feel of a pistol, you'll never shoot it well.

I used to own a Kahr cw9 and cm9. The Kahr line has a VERY different trigger pull much more like a smooth double action revolver. That combined with the really short length of pull made transitioning between them and the Glock very difficult. While the CS was good, I had a recurring trigger reset issue with the cm9 that did a lot to undermine my confidence in the gun. Eight or ten years ago, Kahr was one of the better options for a small carry 9mm but with the advent of the shield, g43, and offerings from sig and Springfield, I think they're a bit out dated.

All the best to you!

I totally agree with your comments on the Kahr’s. Their triggers just never did it for me. Well made firearms, but just didn’t fit my style. YMMV