Suppressed 300 Norma Mag - 16 or 18" Barrel Length

I'm in the process of putting together the specs and components list for a custom build, I'd like to have completed this year. This rifle will be used for mostly hunting deer at ranges out to 1,000 yards. Going into this project I've got a couple of requirements. 1) 300 Norma Mag; from everything I've read this cartridge has a lot of knock down power. 2) Suppressor; protecting my hearing is very important and I understand that even a couple of shots taken every year, while hunting, can be very harmful. 3) Lightweight; I hunt on foot, so having the absolute lightest rifle possible is a requirement.

As I've thought through this build, I've relied heavily on the experience and viewpoints, found on forums, internet searches and the guys at my local gun shop. I imagine there will be some questions regarding some of the decisions for this build. So, I'll address those questions first, before asking my question in regard to barrel length.

1) Why 300 NM; I want a cartridge that I can be 100% confident will drop animals in their tracks.
2) Why Suppressed; Protect my hearing. Also, lots of people are getting them and I want to be included.
3) Why Lightweight; I generally hike 10-15 miles a day while hunting. As they say ounces=pounds=pain.

Now on to my question. I understand that 300 NM's typically have 26-28" barrels. But, by the time I add a 7" suppressor, I'd be up to a barrel length of 33-35". Which is too long considering how much time I spend hiking in brush. I'm leaning towards cutting the barrel down to 16". Giving me an overall length of 23" with the suppressor attached. Recognizing that the 10-12" of barrel loss will result in a decrease of ~350 fps, according to a guy on Snipershide. I am expecting the 300 NM velocity, shooting 225 ELDM, to be ~2775 fps. By comparison that's approximately the same velocity of the 300 NM's smaller .30 cal brother, a .30-06 shooting 178 ELDM, in a 24" barrel. I understand that we're not comparing equal bullet weights. The sacrifice in velocity is worth it to me. Mostly because I'll be shooting a suppressed magnum. Which honestly, just sounds Bad A$$.

Also, I know this gun will have a lot of recoil. Recognizing the importance of getting a really good zero, I plan on using a Lead Sled, while sighting in my rifle. This will remove all of the variables of me as the shooter and get the scope really dialed in. My experience as a hunter is that I am a much better shot on game than at targets. Looking back at my track record while hunting, I think it's safe to say that I'm a "quarter MOA shooter all day.....if I do my part"

Finally, if you have any recommendations for which scope to use, I'd really appreciate it. My preference would be for something in the 25-35x magnification range. I subscribe to the idea of aim small...miss small. Considering the distances, I could find myself shooting, I'd like to be able to really zoom in and shoot at a tuft of hair on the vitals. As opposed to a deer that just looks like a silhouette in my scope. I haven't started looking at scopes yet. But, am inclined to consider something from Vortex. Based on what I've heard about their incredible warranty program.

So, back to the question being asked here in this post. Do you think I should go with a 16" barrel length. Or, should I accept the increased barrel weight and length, by stepping up to an 18" barrel?

In case you missed it ….. this post is meant to be satire.

Last edited:

Seeknelk

WKR
#1- do not use a lead sled ,it's very rough on the whole rifle and scope system. Bipod and a bag under butt. A suppressor helps a lot with recoil.

#2 - what suppressor are you getting? Be aware that they often have barrel length minimums for each cartridge class.

#3 super short will be nice but just consider that even suppressed means MORE noise than a longer barrel.

#4 - I'm not sure myself , maybe others can chime in, but a suppressor on a case that size and a barrel that short , seems that unburnt powder in the can , may cause issues. Myth or fact from those with knowledge?

#5 myself, I am debating between 18-22" on my 300 PRC (a step down in powder capacity) .

#6 no cartridge, or caliber is really 100 percent no doubt , body slamming animals. That's all bullet design and placement.
Spotting my own shots is important to me. And less recoil is FARRRRRRR easier to shoot well. I'm considering rebarrel my 300 PRC to 7-300 PRC for just This reason. I did spot my 500 yard cow elk shot this year tho.
A 180 from a 7 has noticable amount less recoil that my 215 at 2950. Spotting shots is tricky with 9.5# all up rifle .
This is an interesting rifle build tho!

Seeknelk

WKR
Zooming way in makes spotting shots very tough. If a buddy is spotting, perfect.
I zoomed out to 6x for that cow. Was more than enough.
If you want lots of Xs , I'd get a nightforce of your pick/budget. Or a SWFA 5-20.
Tijicon Tenmile, Tangent theta, Zero Compromise Optics, how high you wanna go?😁

SOIHUNT

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot suppressed 18” 6.5 Prc and 23” 300 ultra mag and I won’t go back to a break, surppressed is the only for me (reduced recoil and sound) I use a Rexsiltum M10 no barrel restriction. It’s a 30 caliber suppressor.

I'm in the process of putting together the specs and components list for a custom build, I'd like to have completed this year. This rifle will be used for mostly hunting deer at ranges out to 1,000 yards. Going into this project I've got a couple of requirements. 1) 300 Norma Mag; from everything I've read this cartridge has a lot of knock down power. 2) Suppressor; protecting my hearing is very important and I understand that even a couple of shots taken every year, while hunting, can be very harmful. 3) Lightweight; I hunt on foot, so having the absolute lightest rifle possible is a requirement.

As I've thought through this build, I've relied heavily on the experience and viewpoints, found on forums, internet searches and the guys at my local gun shop. I imagine there will be some questions regarding some of the decisions for this build. So, I'll address those questions first, before asking my question in regard to barrel length.

1) Why 300 NM; I want a cartridge that I can be 100% confident will drop animals in their tracks.
2) Why Suppressed; Protect my hearing. Also, lots of people are getting them and I want to be included.
3) Why Lightweight; I generally hike 10-15 miles a day while hunting. As they say ounces=pounds=pain.

Now on to my question. I understand that 300 NM's typically have 26-28" barrels. But, by the time I add a 7" suppressor, I'd be up to a barrel length of 33-35". Which is too long considering how much time I spend hiking in brush. I'm leaning towards cutting the barrel down to 16". Giving me an overall length of 23" with the suppressor attached. Recognizing that the 10-12" of barrel loss will result in a decrease of ~350 fps, according to a guy on Snipershide. I am expecting the 300 NM velocity, shooting 225 ELDM, to be ~2775 fps. By comparison that's approximately the same velocity of the 300 NM's smaller .30 cal brother, a .30-06 shooting 178 ELDM, in a 24" barrel. I understand that we're not comparing equal bullet weights. The sacrifice in velocity is worth it to me. Mostly because I'll be shooting a suppressed magnum. Which honestly, just sounds Bad A$$.

Also, I know this gun will have a lot of recoil. Recognizing the importance of getting a really good zero, I plan on using a Lead Sled, while sighting in my rifle. This will remove all of the variables of me as the shooter and get the scope really dialed in. My experience as a hunter is that I am a much better shot on game than at targets. Looking back at my track record while hunting, I think it's safe to say that I'm a "quarter MOA shooter all day.....if I do my part"

Finally, if you have any recommendations for which scope to use, I'd really appreciate it. My preference would be for something in the 25-35x magnification range. I subscribe to the idea of aim small...miss small. Considering the distances, I could find myself shooting, I'd like to be able to really zoom in and shoot at a tuft of hair on the vitals. As opposed to a deer that just looks like a silhouette in my scope. I haven't started looking at scopes yet. But, am inclined to consider something from Vortex. Based on what I've heard about their incredible warranty program.

So, back to the question being asked here in this post. Do you think I should go with a 16" barrel length. Or, should I accept the increased barrel weight and length, by stepping up to an 18" barrel?
Edit:
I guess you need to read the entire long ass post to sort out the trolls, lesson learned

Last edited:

Dobermann

WKR
@MaraviaDave: I think you should reconsider the 300 Norma Mag. That calibre was neutered, and i's just for the man bun crowd who use 6.5 Creedmoron.

What you really need is an ultralight 338 Lapua. I've heard on the internet that it's the only thing that will kill dead right there, especially if your aim is off, or if you forget to re-zero your rifle just before season.

And forget Vortex - the new hotness is Arken. I've watched at least 78 videos on YouTube by guys unboxing them, and saying it's the best glass they've ever seen.

Dobermann

WKR
I just realised you left out scope rings from your detailed discussion.

Vertical split rings have the benefit of being able to hold your Allen key horizontally as you do them up.

Just remember to lap them.

B23

WKR
#2 - what suppressor are you getting? Be aware that they often have barrel length minimums for each cartridge class.
That would be my concern. I'm not sure how many 30 cal suppressors are rated for a 16-18 inch 300 Norma mag. I have 30-338 Lap Imp with 28in barrel and asked Silencer Central about using my Banish30 on it and they said that would be a no bueno so I use my SAS 338 Vengeance on it. The SAS Vengeance is much larger and robust so it can easily handle my 300AX but it also weighs about 20oz too.

First pause came with the mention of the cartridge having a lot of knockdown power. A little farther and I started wondering “is this bait”? By the end, clearly bait.

B23

WKR
Curious, though it may seem funny to some now, if these kinds of topic starters turn in to a more regular occurrence scattered across this forum, will it be as funny then?