Shell/topper leak question (try to make it waterproof vs bedroll)

Hey yall,

First time posting and first time owning a shell (leer 100xr)-bought used. I get a bit of leaking nothing too crazy but enough to facilitate the need for a cot when sleeping in it. The leaking is just from the rails especially near the cab as seems usual for a lot of shells. for My question to all of you people who sleep in their truck shells is, is it worth me taking the shell off and spending a bunch of time trying to totally seal everything up or just get/make a waxed canvas bed roll and use that on a raised platform?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure I understand where it’s leaking but sealing it will increase condensation unless you have windows to vent?

OP
D
Not sure I understand where it’s leaking but sealing it will increase condensation unless you have windows to vent?
I do have windows to vent. The actual shell it’s self is watertight but the connection where the shell is placed on the bed itself especially near the cab is the area that leaks the most

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
Seal it. If you're sleeping in dust and your bed is always dusty I'd be willing to bet eventually you'll get sick of it and want it sealed up.

I get a little leaking at the corners, too. I’ve found two options after chasing my tail to “get it water tight.”

1. 3/8-1/2”Foam pads (the workout type from Costco) to go the length of the bed. The width is fine as is. This raises my paid far enough above the bed liner seams that I’m not in the water.

2. I built a small wooden platform that I keep in there all season. It’s been really nice to provide a platform to sit on and eat, etc. when spending a lot of time in there this time of year with sun set/rise times between hunts.

I’ll typically treat this as a “base camp” if I drive in late and plan to pack in the next day/change spots, etc. It’s nice to come back to and nice to not have to pack/repack all of the gear if changing spots.

I’ve sealed the rails and chased every drip and drop. I finally realized it wasn’t hurting anything and still did what I needed it to, so found a couple of work around to be sure I wasn’t sleeping in the minimal water that was getting in.

Attachments

• IMG_6935.jpeg
    IMG_6935.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 24
Sealing the shell itself to the bed is no biggie! Butyl caulk tape works very well and is easily removed when you pull the shell.
Sealing the tailgate is a whole new ballgame!
....but if you're going to sleep in it, you DO NOT want it "air tight"! You need air exchange.

OP
D
Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again!
That's called "Redneck Lazy"!
I feel you on that! Just wanted to make sure it was worth it because I had heard so many people saying it’s always gonna leak and then a few saying theirs does not leak, well, bought all the supplies gonna be wiring it up and sealing it off soon hopefully all goes well!

yfarm

WKR
Plug for Camp Time Roll O Cot. Spent a week in September sleeping in the back of my F250. This cot design has no center leg design so it fits over the wheel well allowing the use of 2 in the bed if needed. Had a 3 inch memory foam pad on the cot and slept like at home. Cot folds up in a bag about 3’x8”x6” when not in use. Set up is quick as is takedown. Can store bags and boxes under it, nice to get up and be able to sit on the cot rather than rolling out on the floor.

OP
D
Plug for Camp Time Roll O Cot. Spent a week in September sleeping in the back of my F250. This cot design has no center leg design so it fits over the wheel well allowing the use of 2 in the bed if needed. Had a 3 inch memory foam pad on the cot and slept like at home. Cot folds up in a bag about 3’x8”x6” when not in use. Set up is quick as is takedown. Can store bags and boxes under it, nice to get up and be able to sit on the cot rather than rolling out on the floor.
Oh thanks for the input! I have one I’m using now and might build on or get a better cot but either way need to keep it low profile as I have the Leer Locker on the top, guessI could always just trim the legs though….

KyleR1985

WKR
You can buy the gasket material for toppers on Amazon for about 50.00 or less.

They also make a tailgate specific seal too it helps a lot.

Like someone said you’ll want airflow if your topper doesn’t have screened windows. I use the two drain ports on my f150. Pop them out and stick a fan in front of one.