Sheep rifle scope

SDHNTR

WKR
I see a lot of guys with the NXS. I went with the VX5 3-15 at 19oz with a 7SAUM due to capped windage and zero lock. My scopes get so bashed on mountain hunts the last thing I want to worry about is my zero from a turret.

Good luck with that NXS, definitely in my top 3 for a sheep scope that allows you to dial effectively.
I don’t think you realize how backwards this sounds. Your scopes get bashed around so your solution is a Leupold? Ok.

To those worried about an unintended turret twist. 1. It just doesn’t happen in the real world and 2. All it takes is a quick visual glance to verify and 3. A strip of electrical tape solves the “issue” with certainty if you really must.

Last edited:

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
If you value durability and reliability, pass in the Swaro. If you like to chat up your buddies about how great your glass is, go for it.
I've seen you on here and I think on other forums too, never missing a chance to poo poo on swaro and you often say how you used to like it too, but something happened

Can you share exactly what it was that happened? Did you miss a trophy caliber animal because you lost zero?

NXS 2.5-10 is what I used and think it’s the best choice out there. Sure I’d like it to be FFP but wasn’t a deal breaker for me.

SDHNTR

WKR
I've seen you on here and I think on other forums too, never missing a chance to poo poo on swaro and you often say how you used to like it too, but something happened

Can you share exactly what it was that happened? Did you miss a trophy caliber animal because you lost zero?
Fair question and I have addressed it before. 3 instances and I owned 6 Swaro Z series scopes. I had a Z3 that had a wandering zero. Very unpredictable. I even thought I had a bad barrel or something as I couldn’t find an accurate load. Changed scopes and got easy bugholes. Then I had a Z5 that would not track and return to zero. Every time you dialed it up, there was no telling where it would return to. This issue showed up after about 300 shots. Then I had a Z6 where the elevation turret broke clean off at the tube. Scope was brand new. While this wasn’t necessarily the direct fault of the scope, it revealed the erector adjustment guts are made of thin, cheap plastic, not brass or metal like most other scopes. That was the final straw. Unloaded them all. I’m not bashing them. I’m simply stating facts that the way Swaro makes the Z series so light is with very thin tubes and plastic erector mechanics. Why do you think they state a 17” pound max on rings, which is a joke. If all that sounds ok to you by all means rock on. But I think anyone with any common sense can tell that such construction is not going to hold up to any kind of significant use.

FWIW, I own two pair of Swaro binoculars and a Swaro spotting scope. I’m in no way anti Swarovski. I just don’t agree with their strategy wrt their rifle scopes. They sell wonderful glass and specs on paper, because that is what the unknowing public buys. I’m not unknowing anymore.

Last edited:

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes it’s not always so clear.
Not trying to discredit anyone but being new here it seems like sometime folks chime in without any real experience or reading comprehension.

I’ve got one montanan bighorn under my belt but certainly won’t speak to what makes a sheep scope and what doesn’t. Leave that to rough and tumble Alaskans or those Unlimited junkies.
Ps- it was the much renounced lack of zero hold-ability Loopold.

cbeard64

WKR
I’m not a LR shooter/dialer so the Leupold Vari-X 3 in one iteration or another has served me just fine over 20 years of chasing sheep and other mountain game.

That said, if I were buying a new scope today it would probably be the NF NSX 2.5-10x44. I haven’t seen anyone with real knowledge do anything but praise its clarity, reliability and toughness. At 20 oz. it’s only a hair heavier than even most scopes that bill themselves as ultralights.

SwiftShot

WKR
NXS 2.5-10 is what I used and think it’s the best choice out there. Sure I’d like it to be FFP but wasn’t a deal breaker for me.
I have never shot a sheep. Ran around in the mountains of Afghanistan hunting other critters. Nightforce was my choice then and is now. I like lower magnification so I can see impact, or my spotter can. Booked for my sheep in 2024. I have helped on 2. Dear god judging a legal one is way harder than I thought. A slight tilt of the head and he looks so different.

Last edited:

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t say enough good things about the 2.5-10x42 NXS. I have several of them w/ MOAR reticle on different rifles, including a couple sheep rifles. I've taken 4 Dalls of my own, and helped anchor couple others including a buddy’s and my ex- wife’s all with this same model scope.

if you were stand hunting, or even in less rugged country than sheep hunting, the ATACR would be great option, but 12oz is significant when talking sheep.

Good luck in your search and hunt.

JP100

WKR
If you value durability and reliability, pass on the Swaro. If you like to chat up your buddies about how great your glass is, go for it.

Everyone loves to think this.

I hunt 150+ days a year, in the mountains and have never seen a scope fail, of any brand. Ive only seen two spotting scopes fail...and one had nightforce written on it haha.

The Z5s are light, and they are not made to beat nails in with like a nightforce. but they are as reliable as any other brand, and the glass excels when we need it most.

All and every brand can and will fail, but i do believe all top tier brands are reliable enough for us to trust

SwiftShot

WKR

I hunt 150+ days a year, in the mountains and have never seen a scope fail, of any brand. Ive only seen two spotting scopes fail...and one had nightforce written on it haha.

The Z5s are light, and they are not made to beat nails in with like a nightforce. but they are as reliable as any other brand, and the glass excels when we need it most.

All and every brand can and will fail, but i do believe all top tier brands are reliable enough for us to trust
I have had 3 scope fails. A Burris, Bushnell and Leopold. One fogged two went all over the place with the reticle. They two where on 30 Magnums and one on a 7mm 08. Never had a problem with Nightforce, or Vortex but I also have a 40 year old Weaver that still rocks.

Too many folks on forums appear to be of the mind that if it didn't happen to them or one of their buddies then it didn't happen. Not looking to hijack the thread but SDHNTR appears to have once had great faith in Swarovski, owned several and they failed him. It happens. Also happened to me. A few years back I bought a Z5 3.5-18x44 (brand new) that was a disaster from the start- internally fogged on first trip to the range, later developed a wandering zero (on a 6.5CM) - Swarovski fixed that - then after a few hunts, once again developed a wandering zero. Own(ed) volumes of scopes over the years and most were rock solid - remember a zero-shift issue with a Zeiss I had on a 300wby, but once fixed it stayed fixed.

Own several Swarovski SLC binoculars that are just plain wonderful, but I've really lost faith in their riflescopes. Also can understand folks getting defensive when they've personally had good luck with a brand and someone cites a very different experience. Sheep hunts are quite expensive and folks should eliminate/replace any equipment they have doubts about.

JP100

WKR
Worth adding...ive never seen a scope fail in the field.....

Seen plenty of issues, but we usually always find them at the range, during sight in etc.

Swaros can most definitely fail, but so can everything else. thats the reality.

The only real insurance? Pack two scopes haha. I have had one client who actually did this, he carried a spare scope for a week in his pack haha.
Packing two rifles is even better insurance.

It is very hard to plan for this stuff on a hunt that is a 'once in a lifetime' type deal, especially when big bucks are involved. Ask the guide to pack a spare rifle if your really worried haha.

nobody

WKR
I don’t think you realize how backwards this sounds. Your scopes get bashed around so your solution is a Leupold? Ok.

To those worried about an unintended turret twist. 1. It just doesn’t happen in the real world and 2. All it takes is a quick visual glance to verify and 3. A strip of electrical tape solves the “issue” with certainty if you really must.
I was just about to jump on and write this exact post. Glad somebody said it, as it can't be overstated.