Sheep rifle scope

Form, Went to the NECG website and noticed this peep for the rear. That may actually work better for me. This was the rifle setup I had with irons. Very utility oriented. And liked the backup option if the scope went down.

I have a rear ramp mounted peep sight very similar to the one pictured on a Knight ML. It is a William's fire sight. I use a scope on it where legal and the peep sights in CO. I find it to be surprisingly precise, and I have no trouble grouping well out to 150 yds with that set up. I have the same scope with QR rings and rear ramp peep sights set up on a 7600 carbine that gets used for snow tracking, and on several levers set up for the same purpose. If wet, heavy snow is coming down, it's sometimes easier to keep the open sights clear than having to continually pull packed snow away from the scope.

On rifles so equiped, I always sight in the open sights. Figure why not have redundancy built in the system. As they say, Two is one, one is none, three's a guarantee.

Laker

FNG
Guides don’t care - if the client misses a 700 yard shot, they still presented them with an opportunity. If they wound it and no recovery, the hunt is over and tag punched. Still got paid and can advertise punched tags and opportunity statistics that look good on paper.
Exactly. Show up with a nice light compact 3-9 and they’ll get you within 150 yds for a nice an easy shot.

mod7rem

FNG
With those two choices, I would go with the NXS 2.5-10. But I’d recommend the 32mm over the 42mm.
I used to own two of each in different configurations. I preferred the 32mm.

mod7rem

FNG
With those two choices, I would go with the NXS 2.5-10. But I’d recommend the 32mm over the 42mm.
I used to own two of each in different configurations. I preferred the 32mm.
Just to add to my post. I had a 32mm and a 42mm with capped turrets, and a 32mm and 42mm with uncapped turrets and 42 with illuminated reticle. The illumination was nice for timber hunting in low light, but not necessary for sheep hunting in my opinion.
For a simple, dialing capable, bombproof scope for sheep backpacking, the 32mm capped or uncapped and no illumination would be my pick of the NXS 2.5-10x line.

redchinviking

Lil-Rokslider
Yup that’s exactly what he means. Take your 1600$ plus new scope and wrap electrical tape around it to lock the turret. Stick some super glue over that when you’re done to help make you feel all warm n fuzzy. (JK don’t;) It’ll be real fun to watch a bloke pull it off in a hurry before he dials up on a monster trophy of a lifetime, hopefully in time. I’m in the boat of thinking for that kind of cheddar a locking turret mechanism, or windage cap …wouldn’t be too much to ask?! But he’s right who cares if they have all the engineers and materials needed when you have a brand new shiny..roll of 1$ electrical tape at your disposal🙄 my rifles love to shift elevation on backpack straps and moto rides etc and I’m sorry but a non locking turret is a bit of a non-starter for me on a backcountry packing rifle. I’ll take the atacr 42 with a weight penalty, until NF can get their heads out of their 🫏. (Or settle their lawsuit with leupold) if leupold can do it I’m pretty sure NF can btw. That said the nxs 2.5-10 still has a place in my safe, just not strapped to my pack for long hard miles. Is it the 21st century? Riflescope turrets need elevation locks in some applications. Sheep hunting or just honest to god hard backcountry hunting seems to be one (two) of those applications imho.

I tend to agree with Red. How hard is it to put a lock of some sort on an elevation turret? Insult to injury is that a lot of Chicom scopes are so equiped.

As it is, the scopes I'm currently running on hunting rigs, SWFA's, Bushy LRHS/LRTS, don't have locking turrets. I've just got in the habit of checking that they're on zero constantly. Reliable, locking turret, reasonable weight scope models are in short supply these days.

I tend to agree with Red. How hard is it to put a lock of some sort on an elevation turret? Insult to injury is that a lot of Chicom scopes are so equiped.

As it is, the scopes I'm currently running on hunting rigs, SWFA's, Bushy LRHS/LRTS, don't have locking turrets. I've just got in the habit of checking that they're on zero constantly. Reliable, locking turret, reasonable weight scope models are in short supply these days.

My Leupold lost zero bear hunting this year, I'm the proud new owner of an NXS 2.5-10x42.

I did the tall target test and came back with a CF of .999, stoked!

30 MOA x 110.2 yards x .01047
34.61382 = expected shift
34.61382 / 34.625 (34 10/16") = .999

I have a lot of confidence with this going into sheep season.

IMG_2309.jpeg

Reactions: WCS