Sheep rifle scope

4 rams with a NXS 2.5-10x32 and 1 with a 42mm model. No desire or need to look anywhere else for me.

If someone wanted ffp and a bit more reach, the SHV 4-14x50 FFP Mil scope that I recently bought for my CZ .22 training rifle is really nice, but also weighs 8 oz more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contrary to popular belief, Leupolds still are capable of taking sheep; this one just over a year ago now.

View attachment 513585

Even after spending a night on a big rock.

View attachment 513593

Shooting sheep at 1000+ yards may be what the cool kids do but that takes a lot of hunt out of a sheep hunt.

I’m having a really hard time disagreeing with this. I would much rather get within bow range of a sheep, or any other animal for that matter, than try to kill it from across the drainage. I’ve owned some pretty decent scopes, but the UL Leupolds I’ve owned have so far worked flawlessly on my UL wt. rifles, and I really don’t see the point of having a light wt. mountain rifle and mounting a 2 lb scope on it (or even a 20 oz. scope for that matter). For me it’s all about the chase/stalk, if you’re into long range mountain hunting that’s fine, but than why even be concerned with the wt. of the rifle when it’s carrying 2 lbs. worth of glass? Just sayin’.
I get wanting to have the best optics, rifles, etc., but man, the guys doing it 50 years ago we’re doing it with Weaver scopes, mounted on model 70’s, and wearing blue jeans…oh, and they we’re killing 170+ rams at 150 yards too.

Snyd

WKR
I’m having a really hard time disagreeing with this. I would much rather get within bow range of a sheep, or any other animal for that matter, than try to kill it from across the drainage. I’ve owned some pretty decent scopes, but the UL Leupolds I’ve owned have so far worked flawlessly on my UL wt. rifles, and I really don’t see the point of having a light wt. mountain rifle and mounting a 2 lb scope on it (or even a 20 oz. scope for that matter). For me it’s all about the chase/stalk, if you’re into long range mountain hunting that’s fine, but than why even be concerned with the wt. of the rifle when it’s carrying 2 lbs. worth of glass? Just sayin’.
I get wanting to have the best optics, rifles, etc., but man, the guys doing it 50 years ago we’re doing it with Weaver scopes, mounted on model 70’s, and wearing blue jeans…oh, and they we’re killing 170+ rams at 150 yards too.
I totally agree. I've taken several rams with my Kimber 325 with a 2.5-8x32 Leupold and one with a 4X Leupold on my Freedom Arms 454 pistol.

IMG-2581.jpg

emweiler1.jpg

1.jpg

SDHNTR

WKR

Aside from the Leupold part, I certainly agree with you on the hunting skills part. One of the things that deeply annoys me with current hunting trends is woodsmanship skills have taken a backseat to long range shooting skills. I attribute this to the turret twisting craze, which I am admittedly part of, but I’m also a bow hunter at heart. Given the chance to get closer, I always will. All this tactical crossover that has bled over into the hunting world has flipped what’s really important with hunting.

All this chatter about chassis stocks, FFP versus SFP, mils versus MOA, magnification, dope charts, titty twisters, vertical grips, cans, brakes, ballistic coefficients, blah, blah blah. It’s all noise, and secondary to finding the animal in the first place, being intimately familiar with its behavior and getting close enough to make a solid shot. Elk get killed because of time spent in the woods and learning about elk, not exclusively due to time spent at the shooting range learning about ballistic characteristics.

In my opinion, we would all do better to have more conversations around woodsmanship than tactical marksmanship! But, alas, we are humans, so we get things backwards all the time.

Last edited:
100% SDHNTR. Unfortunately, it isn’t just hunters who’ve caught 1/2 mile fever. With increasing regularity guides and outfitters are encouraging and expecting clients to be proficient and take shots at previously ridiculous distances. Was personally on hunts where guides encouraged 600+ yard shots on game, witnessed several attempts by other hunters - zero successful (but they look good and quite easy in hunting videos). Also recently had buddies report that upon arrival on an elk hunt the first question their guide had was, “who here can shoot 700 yards?”

Totally agree that this long-distance trend is seriously eroding pre-hunt scouting and prep, overall hunting, woodsmanship, and stalking skills, etc. Also recently engaged wildlife officials at sportsman’s shows who are also concerned about the recent uptick in game carcasses found shot but unrecovered.

Made my bones as a bowhunter and still often hunt that way. To me it is orders of magnitude more satisfying to take a mature animal by finding, strategizing, and stalking into reasonable shooting distance. Have I taken an animal at long range - if ~500 yards is considered long these days = yes. However, that was only because there was clearly no way to get any closer and it was the very end of the hunt. However, the shot was certainly not even close to one of the most cherished memories of that hunt.

My gear is set up to take fairly long shots just in case it is the only option I get, but it is certainly not my preference.

SDHNTR

WKR
100% SDHNTR. Unfortunately, it isn’t just hunters who’ve caught 1/2 mile fever. With increasing regularity guides and outfitters are encouraging and expecting clients to be proficient and take shots at previously ridiculous distances. Was personally on hunts where guides encouraged 600+ yard shots on game, witnessed several attempts by other hunters - zero successful (but they look good and quite easy in hunting videos). Also recently had buddies report that upon arrival on an elk hunt the first question their guide had was, “who here can shoot 700 yards?”

Totally agree that this long-distance trend is seriously eroding pre-hunt scouting and prep, overall hunting, woodsmanship, and stalking skills, etc. Also recently engaged wildlife officials at sportsman’s shows who are also concerned about the recent uptick in game carcasses found shot but unrecovered.

Made my bones as a bowhunter and still often hunt that way. To me it is orders of magnitude more satisfying to take a mature animal by finding, strategizing, and stalking into reasonable shooting distance. Have I taken an animal at long range - if ~500 yards is considered long these days = yes. However, that was only because there was clearly no way to get any closer and it was the very end of the hunt. However, the shot was certainly not even close to one of the most cherished memories of that hunt.

My gear is set up to take fairly long shots just in case it is the only option I get, but it is certainly not my preference.
Yes, my sentiments exactly. I know plenty of guides who expect 5-700 yard proficiency. I know one prominent outfitter who says 75% of his clients end up shooting his rifle because the 270/30-06 and 3x9 won’t cut it in his mind.

S-3 ranch

WKR

My buddy did a ibex hunt in tajikastan and had problems getting the guides to understand how uncomfortable he was shooting @ 800-1000 meters
luckly he was supplied with a interpreter who would help him communicate
but still had to shoot at 600 , 266093DD-F6A9-484A-86E6-38E71F2DBDD3.jpeg

Snyd

WKR
Now that is cool. Hell of a ram with the revolver!
Thanks. Ya, it was the ultimate for me. Here's the story...

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Leupold CDS is the king of selling average hunters on the idea they can buy long range competency with just a “custom turret cap”.
I see what you mean with your post. I've only killed game out to 400 which is sort of my comfort zone pending on what kind of rest I get. The CDS has been plenty capable of that, in my experience. I've shot out to 500 at the range but I can hardly say I am a good shot at that distance. Vast majority of my game is withing 300 yards.

I guess long distance is up to everybody's own perception. But watching YouTube films of guys taking shots at 600+ boggles my mind. I mean everybody misses and if you have not missed you have not hunted long enough. But seeing hunters taking pokes at a distance hoping they will make the shot is far too common.

Leaving an area with a wounded animal, not being able to find it is one of the most sickening feelings I have experienced. To me it seems that many hunters do not have a calibrated moral compass where injuring an animal just to have a chance to get the "trophy" is totally acceptable and brushed off.

With increasing regularity guides and outfitters are encouraging and expecting clients to be proficient and take shots at previously ridiculous distances. Was personally on hunts where guides encouraged 600+ yard shots on game, witnessed several attempts by other hunters - zero successful
Guides don’t care - if the client misses a 700 yard shot, they still presented them with an opportunity. If they wound it and no recovery, the hunt is over and tag punched. Still got paid and can advertise punched tags and opportunity statistics that look good on paper.

WKR
I set up a rig for a future grizzly or brown bear hunt that I'd possibly use for sheep though in a different chambering. Its a classic style stock with nightforce rail and seekins rings holding a nxs 2.5-10. It has NECG iron sights on it. All a guy would need to do is pop off 4 screws and go to irons if you had a scope disaster. It would mean the hunt goes on and offer perhaps 200 yards of range at that point.

Somewhat surprised more folks don't have backup irons on backcountry rifles.

WCB

WKR
Guides don’t care - if the client misses a 700 yard shot, they still presented them with an opportunity. If they wound it and no recovery, the hunt is over and tag punched. Still got paid and can advertise punched tags and opportunity statistics that look good on paper.
*Some guides don't care...the majority I have worked with as a guide and or hunted with are not like that. I also attend A LOT of outdoor conventions as I work in the shooting/hunting industry. I've had a lot of discussions with guides and outfitters. MOST of them hate it and can't stand a client that comes in with his brand new long range rig, with his phone app on ready and a wind meter.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Just jumping in here- they should à la Remington M24, Sako TRG, and Tikka T3x Arctic. The M24 iron sights were/are a bit large and complicated, the rear primarily- though the front was able to use a peep insert which is way better in files shooting than a post. The Tikka and Sako rear sight is about right, with a front globe insert instead of a post.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I set up a rig for a future grizzly or brown bear hunt that I'd possibly use for sheep though in a different chambering. Its a classic style stock with nightforce rail and seekins rings holding a nxs 2.5-10. It has NECG iron sights on it. All a guy would need to do is pop off 4 screws and go to irons if you had a scope disaster. It would mean the hunt goes on and offer perhaps 200 yards of range at that point.

Interesting, you ever heard of a piggyback? They use it in Europe have your main tube mounted like it is, at 45 degree angled on the main tube you have an aim point , so all you need to do is tilt your gun at 45 degrees and you are good to go within 100 yards.

WKR
Form, Went to the NECG website and noticed this peep for the rear. That may actually work better for me. This was the rifle setup I had with irons. Very utility oriented. And liked the backup option if the scope went down.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, Went to the NECG website and noticed this peep for the rear. That may actually work better for me. This was the rifle setup I had with irons. Very utility oriented. And liked the backup option if the scope went down.

I don’t know how that would work so far from your eye. If you try it, I would be grateful for your thoughts.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The 34mm tubes dont help with light transmission...they give more elevation per rotation. Thats all

Of those two go with the NXS, but really should have got a swaro Z5 haha
I had a Z5 that would not RTZ. Changed scopes on the rifle and that problem went away.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk