Sheep rifle scope

kipper09

WKR
I’m probably gonna get torched for this and I’m talking out of turn because I’ve not killed a bunch of sheep. But I would be willing to bet more sheep and mountain animals have died in the crosshairs of a leupold than any other scope. Just a guess. I think a nf 2.5-10 is probably the best you can buy for the task but also betting my first statement is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

S-3 ranch

WKR
I’m probably gonna get torched in this and I’m talking out of turn because I’ve not killed a bunch of sheep. But I would be willing to bet more sheep and mountain animals have died in the crosshairs of a leupold than any other scope. Just a guess. I think a nf 2.5-10 is probably the best you can buy for the task but also betting my first statement is true.

You’re probably correct, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s they were the best without going “ exotic/ expensive “
weaver was the bomb 1940’s—1960’s
now days with globalization & internet opinions it’s a toss up with false positives and false negatives

my 2-7x33 compact on my featherweight probably could be upgraded but I am very reluctant because most shopping is internet and I want a good size, weight ratio on that rifle, and F those dial in turrets on 80% of the new models

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m probably gonna get torched for this and I’m talking out of turn because I’ve not killed a bunch of sheep. But I would be willing to bet more sheep and mountain animals have died in the crosshairs of a leupold than any other scope. Just a guess. I think a nf 2.5-10 is probably the best you can buy for the task but also betting my first statement is true.

Probably an accurate statement. When hunters didn’t know any better and required less of their scopes (remember when 300 yds used to be a long shot?) Leupolds worked fine for the most part. I still have a couple. But no way I’m trusting a sheep hunt to one now that there are much better options!

Trapyotes

FNG
I just researched them on a website. Your right I like the Mildot. I did not know the color was changeable. I gotta look at one. My last sheep I used a Ziess conquest. I think I am ready to upgrade.

SDHNTR

WKR
I just researched them on a website. You’re right I like the Mildot. I did not know the color was changeable. I gotta look at one. My last sheep I used a Ziess conquest. I think I am ready to upgrade.
Im not sure what you are looking at. In the compact NXS there are only 2 reticle choices and neither are mildot.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Contrary to popular belief, Leupolds still are capable of taking sheep; this one just over a year ago now.

65290262-A49D-4E29-82A3-1ACC1E212DCD.jpeg

Even after spending a night on a big rock.

D14813F4-2878-4226-8134-D83A934CFC47.jpeg

Shooting sheep at 1000+ yards may be what the cool kids do but that takes a lot of hunt out of a sheep hunt.

SDHNTR

WKR
I just researched them on a website. Your right I like the Mildot. I did not know the color was changeable. I gotta look at one. My last sheep I used a Ziess conquest. I think I am ready to upgrade.
Btw, I shot my sheep with a Zeiss Conquest too. With a Win M70 in .270 win at 277 yards, coincidentally.

I don’t think you realize how backwards this sounds. Your scopes get bashed around so your solution is a Leupold? Ok.

To those worried about an unintended turret twist. 1. It just doesn’t happen in the real world and 2. All it takes is a quick visual glance to verify and 3. A strip of electrical tape solves the “issue” with certainty if you really must.

What’s backward if their system works for me and thousands of others? Sorry, I don’t see your point.

Apologies if this comes off wrong, I'm interested to know why folks think sour of Leupold now.

Last edited:

nobody

WKR
I've been fortunate enough to take the 4 NA sheep. Used the same rifle/scope combination. Just a plain ole fixed 6x (Leopold, LOL). Simple, durable enough, light weight. and never felt I needed more than the 6x to make a kill shot.
I'll echo what @SDHNTR said above, your fixed 6x gold ring is a far cry from what modern Leupold has become. Those old ones are still really good scopes in many ways, the newer ones polar opposite.

I'll echo what @SDHNTR said above, your fixed 6x gold ring is a far cry from what modern Leupold has become. Those old ones are still really good scopes in many ways, the newer ones polar opposite.

Sorry, I guess I'm living under a rock, what is so bad about these scopes? I genuinely want to know, I'm not trying to start anything here.

nobody

WKR
Sorry, I guess I'm living under a rock, what is so bad about these scopes? I genuinely want to know, I'm not trying to start anything here.
Bottom line is they're not known for their exceptional durability or zero holding or tracking abilities. Fairly common to have a zero shift from one range trip to the next. Not far, but by a few clicks. Leupold has admitted their issues since the mid nineties but with each release of a new optic, they promise "we've fixed it, no more issues," only for us to have more problems. There's also lots of history with poor tracking and inability to consistently return to zero after adjusting for a distance shot.

Then there's the issue of durability. Riding on a padded truck seat, in a case, on a dirt road will cause them to lose zero. And it's not just Leupold, most scope companies don't design their scopes to hold and maintain zero. They market with this BS of "withstanding 50,000 G's of force" but what does that equate to in real world land? If you slip and fall and land funny and your scope bumps a branch on the way down, you shouldn't have to worry that it's not zeroed anymore. The sad truth is that most scopes won't.

There's a member on here that not everybody agrees with, but he does drop testing on optics. He shoots a ton and wears out barrels and really puts firearms and optics through the ringer, and has seen tons of optic failures over the years, and they all seem to corroborate experiences had by many of us on this forum (myself included) His name is @Formidilosus and he's been posting his scope testing here:

https://rokslide.com/forums/forums/rifle-scope-field-evaluations.133/

Read through and you'll see some eye opening stuff. Personally, no more gold rings in my safe.

SDHNTR

WKR
I appreciate your candor in not getting emotional over Leupold attachment and being willing to keep an open mind and learn. Search this forum or a simple Google search of Leupold reliability will provide you with hours of reading. Unfortunately, they just don’t hold zero and track they way they should with the regularity they should. Some work, and usually when not much is demanded from them, and far too many don’t. It’s a widespread problem. And worse yet, rather than address the problem with real R and D, Leupold just chooses to throw more marketing sizzle at the issue to try to convince the consumer everything is OK. Imo, their response is far more off putting than their product failures.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
Fuel to the fire. I have been doing guided hunts off and on for over 35 years. I try to make a point of asking guides which scope maker, in their experience, gives the least problems. 100 percent have said Leupold.

I appreciate your candor in not getting emotional over Leupold attachment and being willing to keep an open mind and learn. Search this forum or a simple Google search of Leupold reliability will provide you with hours of reading. Unfortunately, they just don’t hold zero and track they way they should with the regularity they should. Some work, and usually when not much is demanded from them, and far too many don’t. It’s a widespread problem. And worse yet, rather than address the problem with real R and D, Leupold just chooses to throw more marketing sizzle at the issue to try to convince the consumer everything is OK. Imo, their response is far more off putting than their product failures.

Thanks for all the information, I'll do some reading and my own testing to come up with my thoughts. I appreciate it guys.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I use strictly leupold vx-3 4.5-14×40 CDS for mountain hunting in Alaska. They have worked very well for me. I like the weight and I like price point. If I had Nightforce money I would love to give it a try.