Separate Day for Quads and Hammies

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Curious for those lifters out there if anyone is splitting up quads and hamstrings into 2 days, then hitting both harder than if they were combined.

Issues I’m trying to fix and schedule I’m trying to build a routine around:

1) I bench more than I squat as of last week. Clearly my chest workout is working, I haven’t made gains on legs in well over a year. Wondering if creating 2 specialized leg days will help

2) Currently squat on leg day, then deadlift on back day. Think by doing them sequential days I screw whichever one happens the following day. Obviously same day will impact intensity

3) Dont want to squat or deadlift after Wednesday because it screws my Saturday hiking or hunting

4) Want to increase my work capacity hiking/hunting. 7 miles with light pack on trail or 20 pound pack for about 3-4 miles off trail wears me out, terrain is relatively steep and lots up and down, but certainly not mountain elevations

5) Lungs typically fail before my legs, but I’m assuming the more load they can handle the less blood flow I need to steal from my legs

6) Continuing to run needs to be prioritized over leg gains. Down 30 pounds this year, 8 more to go to get to my goal weight. Also, as referenced above, my lungs fail before my legs typically

Current Routine:

- M: Chest, 24 minute run
- T: Back (includes deadlift), 16 minute run
- W: Legs, walk 3 miles
- R: Shoulders, 16 minute run
- F: 24 minute run

Leg day consist of:

- Squat - 4x6 250
- Dumbbell Lunge - 3x8 60s (1 in each hand, 120 total)
- 1 legged RDL - 3x8 45
- Calf Raise - 3x10 100

Thinking about splitting it as follows:

- M: Quads, run 16 minutes
- T: Back, run 24 minutes
- W: Hammies and lower backrun 16 minutes
- R: Upper Back/lats, run 24 minutes
-F: run 24 minutes

On quad day my plan would be:

4x8 Squat
3x10 lunge
3x10 leg press
3x10 leg extension
3x10 calf raises

Hamstring day:

5x5 deadlift
3x8 1 legged rdl
3x8 Straight leg deadlift
3x8 hamstring curl
3x8 back extension

Any issues/gaps you see? Does it actually benefit me to split legs like this or am I playing with diminishing returns?
I would not recommend doing this. I would recommend something like this. Build your program in 3-week blocks. Focus on one Primary movement for the block, then switch movements for the next 3-week block.

Week 1 Lower body day
Primary movement- Barbell Squats 7 x 3 build to a heavy set of 3 but not to failure leave 2 reps in the tank.
Assistance exercise 1 - Lateral Lunge 3-4 x 10-12.
Assistance exercise 2 - Single Leg dumbel RDL 3-4 x 10-12.
Assistance exercise 3 - Banded Leg curls 100 reps.
Week 2 Lower body day Primary movement - Barbell Squats 6 x 3 build to a heavier set of 3 but not to failure leave 2 reps in the tank.
Repeat Assistance exercises with added weight or decreased rest between sets.
Week 3 Lower body day Primary movement - Barbell Squats 5 x 3 build to a heavier set of 3 but not to failure leave 1 rep in the tank.

Start new a block of training with the Primary movement being a Hinge movement.
Week 1 Lower body day
Primary movement- Trap bar deadlifts 7 x 3 build to a heavy set of 3 but not to failure leave 2 reps in the tank.
Assistance exercise 1 - Single leg press 3-4 x 10-12.
Assistance exercise 2 - Stiff-legged deadlift 3-4 x 10-12.
Assistance exercise 3 - Leg extension 100 reps in as few sets as possible.
Week 2 Lower body day Primary movement -Trap bar deadlifts 6 x 3 build to a heavier set of 3 but not to failure leave 2 reps in the tank.
Week 3 Lower body day Primary movement - Trap bar deadlifts 5 x 3 build to a heavier set of 3 but not to failure leave 1 rep in the tank.

Poser

WKR
Looks to me that you are trying to force a "bro split"/ hypertrophy/ bodybuilding type of thinking/template onto the idea of strength training. If your focus is strength for performance, you need to stop thinking about muscle groups as being the primary focus. You're not training the quads and the hamstrings. You're not even training "legs" and "back" and "chest". Reading your description kinda gave me a headache.

You're training the movement patterns: The squat, the press, the pull. Now, you may elect or need to do some accessory movements to drive progress on those primary lifts, but if you're thinking "quads" vs. "hamstrings", then you're setting yourself up for failure in terms of strength training for performance. Keep it brutally simple, stop thinking about muscle groups and focus on the big picture of making your body stronger. Unless you are doing a bunch of isolation exercises, which is not dedicated strength training, then there is no way to parse out muscles into sub groups. A properly performed deadlift uses every single muscle in the body. A properly performed backsquat uses every muscle in the body below the barbell. The bench press isn't a "chest" exercise, its developing the body's strength to apply pressing force. (and in terms of primary muscles, its using the triceps far more than it is the chest, but that's neither here nor there because a properly performed bench press also employs most of the muscles in the body if you set it up with proper tension and use leg drive).

I think you need to reconsider the way that you're thinking about training and then the question you are asking just dissolves.

180ls1

WKR
I would simply add another leg day and stop doing cardio after lifting legs. There is an interference effect when you do that. You likely should drop a cardio day all together as well.

dreadi

FNG
On average I lift twice a week for an hour. During the late summer/fall before late October I will load my pack with 60-70lbs of weight and walk the treadmill and stair stepper, and do box squats. What I do not do is separate muscle groups into separate days.

As others have alluded to, it's going to be hard to make squat gains if you only squat once a week. Adding a separate day for hamstrings isn't going to fix that. If you want to keep a body buildingesque routine and only lift monday-thursday, you should switch to PPL so you can at least hit legs twice a week every now and again.

Week 1:
M - Push
T - Pull
W - Legs
Th - Push

Week 2:
M- Pull
T - Legs
W - Push
Th - Pull

Week 3:
M - Legs
T - Push
W - Pull
Th - Legs

etc

Also, I don't know how long you've been running or what pace you're running at, but 24 minutes isn't that long. You should work on getting that up if you are struggling with cardio. Mixing in sprints and pace work with steady jogging will help.

Hire a good trainer!

Losing weight and losing body fat are two very different things with dramatically different results.

Unless you are contending with a significant injury, if your bench max is truly greater than your squat max, doing quads and hamstrings in the same day is not your problen.

Hire a good trainer! In the end you'll be time and money ahead as it relates to your priorities/goals.

Last edited:

SWOHTR

WKR
Looks to me that you are trying to force a "bro split"/ hypertrophy/ bodybuilding type of thinking/template onto the idea of strength training. If your focus is strength for performance, you need to stop thinking about muscle groups as being the primary focus. You're not training the quads and the hamstrings. You're not even training "legs" and "back" and "chest". Reading your description kinda gave me a headache.

You're training the movement patterns: The squat, the press, the pull. Now, you may elect or need to do some accessory movements to drive progress on those primary lifts, but if you're thinking "quads" vs. "hamstrings", then you're setting yourself up for failure in terms of strength training for performance. Keep it brutally simple, stop thinking about muscle groups and focus on the big picture of making your body stronger. Unless you are doing a bunch of isolation exercises, which is not dedicated strength training, then there is no way to parse out muscles into sub groups. A properly performed deadlift uses every single muscle in the body. A properly performed backsquat uses every muscle in the body below the barbell. The bench press isn't a "chest" exercise, its developing the body's strength to apply pressing force. (and in terms of primary muscles, its using the triceps far more than it is the chest, but that's neither here nor there because a properly performed bench press also employs most of the muscles in the body if you set it up with proper tension and use leg drive).

I think you need to reconsider the way that you're thinking about training and then the question you are asking just dissolves.
I always look forward to your answers! Your points are articulated very well.

To your point about "brutally simple," to the OP I'd recommend a 5/3/1 program variant. Years of consistently training Wendler's methods have made me as strong as I've ever been, while still allowing me to run albeit not as fast as I was. I don't look like Arnold (nor do I want to) but I can lift whatever I need to and do not doubt my abilities.

For reference, when I was running half marathons at a 7:00/mi pace, I couldn't swing a 53lb KB without risk of real injury. My squat was somewhere in the high-100 (lbs). Now, my running pace is slowed (8-10 min/mi) but my squat is in the low 400s and a 53lb KB is not an injry waiting to happen. It's awesome.

There's a quote to the effect of, "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and generally more useful, too."

All this to say, determine what works for you and prioritize accordingly.

Last edited: