Sell or not sell

mobertok

FNG
First off, I am sorry about your accident and your pain.
Two years ago when I had Covid "bad". (icu two weeks) I asked the Dr. If I was going to make it? He said "I think so" then he told me patience, patience, patience and a positive outlook. Worst time of my life.
Anyway, set little goals and don't beat yourself up if they are not met. Patience, patience, patience. Tough thing, I know. If money is no issue I would probably hold onto your things but "maybe" sell the 3.5.
Good luck with everything.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Glad you’re on the road to recovery.
If you’re not in a bind hold on to your stuff. Those are things you’ve worked hard to accumulate over the years.
Selling them may subconsciously equate to giving in to that x,y,z is not going to happen
Slow recovery means frustrating days and having some of those items in the corner may be the ace in the hole for motivation that day

dancyr3

FNG
I recently had an accident and shattered some vertebras in my spine. 2 weeks ago I had the bones removed and titanium installed. It’s going to be a long road to haul according to the doctor. I have a 8 and 9 year old Boy and Girl. They enjoy deer hunting in shooting houses and fair weather duck hunts but I wouldn’t say either are bit by the bug if you will. This brings me to my thought process. Do I sell things like magnum rifles and or 12guage, 10 gauge shotguns, spotters and packs Back packing tents. The doctors not just one say there is no way I’m doing pack in hunts but they love to see me work towards that.
My wife says keep it in case the kids want it and or I get better. I hate watching stuff just sit. As of today money is not an issue so I don’t need the money. I also don’t see my self shooting 3.5” goose loads ever again. I’m just torn on what’s best. Not to ramble more but by the time my kids would use this stuff there probably will be way better stuff who knows.

Last thing surgery went great. Way better than they expected once in there. I hurt like crazy but feel like im light years ahead of where they told me id be on week 2.
Wait to sell, a lot can happen quickly. It’d be better to have all of that stuff and not need it than to need it and not have it, especially if it’s not about the money. I always liked using my dads old gear before I purchased my own. I pray for your recovery

Keep it all. Some people get "bit by the big" as an adult. I'm sure they'd be happy to use some of Pop's gear then.

TxxAgg

WKR
I'd sell your hard recoiling guns regardless. Your spotter and tent I might hold on to for a year and see how things go.

I had a disc replaced in my neck and sold a 12 gauge, 308, and 30-06. Happy I did it.

I'm not materialistic or nostalgic so that helps.

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
Keep your stuff, current orthopedic 'standard of care' is BS. Do your own PT/research into recovery. You can continue enjoying your passions but ONLY IF you work HARD to recover. Get off the pills as fast as humanly possible, start moving as much as you can tolerate. Find a movement recovery program.

Keep your stuff, current orthopedic 'standard of care' is BS. Do your own PT/research into recovery.
Yea there's a lot of great stuff on YouTube these days if you know what your injury is is they can at least offer possible alternative exercises/stretches that may be better than the ones your doctor is telling you to do

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
Yea there's a lot of great stuff on YouTube these days if you know what your injury is is they can at least offer possible alternative exercises/stretches that may be better than the ones your doctor is telling you to do
TLDR: Surgeons want to cut, MDs prescribe pills and whatever insurance will reimburse for, take full ownership of your health and nutrition, invest in an inversion table, put the time in.

People fall into the trap of doing PT 2-3 days a week, and only for the 30 minutes you're there. We need to take full ownership of our wellness and make it something we do all the time. When I blew the discs in L3-L5, they basically loaded me up with pills and said to stay off of it, forget about doing anything you love etc. Not kidding, I contemplated suicide after about the 3rd week of severe sciatica and excruciating pain. No sleep, couldn't eat, miserable. Their recommendation was basically foraminotomy, discectomy and fusion, but wanted to wait because I was so young. Same with my legs (i've got more hardware in my body than a Home Depot); everything they were prescribing was immobilization.

Needless to say, after hitting rock bottom and almost not coming back up, I found a few really PTs on YouTube and picked up a couple books and grew the hell up with my nutrition. I started doing it religiously and after about 2 weeks started feeling noticible relief, and after 3 years (yes, years) I was completely pain free. Still have bad days, but i'm also able to run, jump, drive a stick, ride my MTB, pack an elk, etc.; all of which I was told by multiple orthopedic surgeons was impossible. I could go on and on but all boils down to taking ownership of your own health, and truly buying in and committing to fixing it.

AFmaryland

Lil-Rokslider
Backs are weird. I was given a horrible prognosis after a work injury years ago and I went on to serve in the military, fight fire, and do lots of backcountry hunts with a whole lot of weight on my back. Do the PT, and test yourself over time but don't buy into anyone who tells you 100% you're not going to carry a pack anymore it just doesn't work that way.