Sell AR15 to fund a new Bow?

yukonC

Lil-Rokslider
Well... I am Army OIF Combat Vet and find an AR-15 to be an extension of my body. Unfortunately for my sweet lady I have been in a dark hole of Archery. I haven’t touched my AR in over a year and really don’t plant to hunt with it any longer (Coyote hunting) and concert my hunting to 100% bow hunting. I currently have an introductory bow PSE Stinger Extreme and although I am very accurate with it, I find I want to upgrade to a premium bow and with 2 kinds 2yrs and below I will not have the cash to get one ANYTIME soon. Should I sell the AR and risk the ban?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MHWASH

WKR
With all that is going on in the USA with the mass shooting and politics, I would not get rid of an AR15 if I only had one. It may be real hard to get one in near future.

Fatcamp

WKR
I go through similar debates with myself. I have a one week and use rule. Before I make a major decision on gear I wait a week and use what I have, even if it means just messing around with it. Most times I end up figuring out that what I have is fine, and that the Craftsman is what needs more work.

Definitely keep the AR. If not for you, for your kids when they're old enough. Like it was mentioned above, you can buy a sweet rig that's a year or so old for reasonable money.

I couldn’t do that trade. It’s amazing how expensive the new bows are but they don’t even begin to compare to hold their value in the same way. In ten years the bow is almost worthless. I’m still shooting a 08’ Bowtech I got new in 08’. I just saw one like it the other day that was completely set up for $175.

elkduds

WKR
Well... I am Army OIF Combat Vet and find an AR-15 to be an extension of my body.

Thank you for that. You, your brothers and sisters in arms, your service and sacrifice is greatly appreciated and tremendously respected by myself, and millions of Americans you will never meet.

Bows depreciate faster than doughnuts.

BullElk

FNG
It’s amazing what a “new” bow will sell for right before and after the newer bows come out! you can usually find a NIB bow for 50% off the MSRP if you wait a few months from now. I.e. January and feb are a great time to buy one!!

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Zero chance!

Pick up some extra hours at work or at a second job and get the bow you want.

Keep th AR. Keep working. Buy another, magazines and ammo.

Mt Al

WKR
Adding to the pile: NO!!!!! Wait a year, eat peanut butter and jelly, buy this years top o' the line bow for cheap next year.

I have an older bow that works like a charm, want a new Matthews but did a Robin Hood tonight practicing. The new bow can wait.

OP
yukonC

yukonC

Lil-Rokslider
I have to agree with you all, I have been battling this for a few months and every time I shout my bow and hit x’s on a Vegas target I say to myself “why do I need anything else”. It’s just the junkie in me I guess. I’m glad you all can help solidify my thoughts and help me flick the devil off my shoulder. I have a feeling I would have deep regret after selling my AR....

Bow purchases aren't restricted; you can get one anytime. Premium bows are over $2k these days, but last year's design will be perfectly serviceable and a lot less. Instead of the newest Ravin model, I got an R10 new for 1200.

OP
yukonC

yukonC

Lil-Rokslider
I struggle to be able to pick up a bow second hand as I really dont trust the prior owner. How do you know if they dry fire or abused the hell out of it? I will have to watch online sales getting them new like some have said for 50% off.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve been a hardcore traditional bowhunter for most of my life. Four years ago picked up a compound literally for the first time, as my son really wanted one and I really didn’t know anything about them. I bought a used Hoyt Spyder, I think it’s a 2012 or 13 model. I’ve shot an elk a mule deer, handful of white tails and a couple turkeys with it so far. I paid 400 for it, got a couple hundred more in it with strings, sight, rest, etc. I probably could sell it right now for 200-300 dollars.
On the flip side, I built an AR chambered in 6.8 SPC for my sons first deer rifle. He’s since shot 3 deer with it. I probably paid 700-800 dollars for all the components, a lot of stuff from clearance or sales. I could probably sell it right now for well over 1K, if not double my money on it.
Point being, bows depreciate, and FAST. Every social media, Instagram hunter, and YouTube star leads you to believe that you have to have the latest carbon fiber ultra bow, 30 dollar broadheads, 500 dollar dial-O-sight, back tension release,etc. And your camo has got to match and cost as much or more as the bow. It’s the only way to be successful. The reality is, there hasn’t been any significant leaps in archery technology in a while. A bow from 2012 does not put you at some sort of disadvantage at all, nor does a more entry level bow. Buy what you like, it’s your money after all. But if you are juggling selling a firearm to fund a bow, I would strongly advise against it!

RUMINT on lightfighter and ARFCOM seems to suggest that AR could go up in value quite a bit in the next few months / years. I would Ho,d what you got and save your pennies for a late model used bow.

I struggle to be able to pick up a bow second hand as I really dont trust the prior owner. How do you know if they dry fire or abused the hell out of it? I will have to watch online sales getting them new like some have said for 50% off.

Keep an eye out here and on the Archery Talk classifieds. I was nervous buying one second hand as well, but decided to risk it when I saw an RX-1 in my price range. If you pay enough attention and check out post history, you’ll see the same people selling last year’s model at a huge discount because they have to have the latest and greatest. Looking forward to this year’s Prime lineup sinking prices on a gently used CT3 haha.

Keep the AR - I don’t think they’re getting banned, but bows just don’t hold their value the same way.