Seeking Turkey Call Mini-Vest / Chest Rig Solution

Hi all - I know someone just posted a bino harness adaptation for turkey calls, but wondering if something commercial exists. I'm looking for something I can wear underneath my backpack, which would have specialized pockets for 2 slate calls, strikers, box call, shells, mouth calls, locator calls, etc.

You get it - all the specialized pockets of a turkey vest, but supported by an ultralight bino-harness-type shoulder strap system. Perhaps something that sits lower than a bino harness - more like just the front of a traditional turkey vest with minimalist shoulder/chest straps? Anyone have any ideas... or should I try to buy a cheap turkey vest and just cut off all the extra/back stuff?

Last edited:

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think there’s anything like that commercially made but you could potentially make the FHF chest rig work. Looks like there’s also a couple options from marsupial gear that you could make work.

Fully loaded. 4 Turkey shells, two friction calls with four strikers, owl call, crow call, coyote howler, tube of box call chalk, scuffed pads, (both green scotch pads and sand paper, a set of 8x42’s bx4 pro guide bino’s, a 16.9 ounce bottle of water, gloves, face mask, Turkey tote, box call, and mouth calls.

I added a side profile so you can gauge how much it sticks out. I wear it loose enough to pull to the side to unobstructed my vision in dicey footing. It does block the feet a bit when fully loaded. But, it doesn’t require any special treatment under normal climbing and descending. Only crossing the creeks and stuff.

It’s hard to beat.

Attachments

• C438FB8C-E05B-4367-853B-2EB9EAB633D3.jpeg
    C438FB8C-E05B-4367-853B-2EB9EAB633D3.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 130
  • A18CFB9C-237E-4BC9-B0AA-D3B6FE87C583.jpeg
    A18CFB9C-237E-4BC9-B0AA-D3B6FE87C583.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Maz7869

FNG
I've been running the Knight & Hale Run & Gun 100 this season and like it so far holds 2 pots one box 4 reeds and a few strikers , nice and compact

I’m planning on making a HPG kit bag work for turkeys this year. Two slot pockets in the main pocket that’ll fit slates, you could put a box call in a bear spray holster attached to the molle on the bottom. There’s velcro on the inside where you could put a pouch to hold mouth calls and shells.

I’m planning on making a HPG kit bag work for turkeys this year. Two slot pockets in the main pocket that’ll fit slates, you could put a box call in a bear spray holster attached to the molle on the bottom. There’s velcro on the inside where you could put a pouch to hold mouth calls and shells.
This is exactly what I have been doing for a few years now. Added a tarahumara backpack and retro-fitted a seat off a turkey vest. Tossed the rest of the vest and never looked back.

This is exactly what I have been doing for a few years now. Added a tarahumara backpack and retro-fitted a seat off a turkey vest. Tossed the rest of the vest and never looked back.
Yep planning on using a tara or umlindi with it, possibly just the buttpack on a prairie belt depending on where i’m heading.

Jimss

WKR
Holy smokes you guys pack a lot of gear plus calls! I have 1 diaphragm call in my mouth and a couple more in my pocket. My hands are free using diaphragms and won’t spook them wihen close from movement using hand calls.

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Holy smokes you guys pack a lot of gear plus calls! I have 1 diaphragm call in my mouth and a couple more in my pocket. My hands are free using diaphragms and won’t spook them wihen close from movement using hand calls.
The best part about turkey hunting is that you get to pretend like you're preparing for a remote backcountry elk hunt and do it all over a few weekends in April and May -- you're chasing a dumb bird around the hills so you might as well be hauling fifteen calls, buying all new clothing in the lead up, loading up a full pack -- it's all a part of the experience, man!

Where is this product made?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t know. My guess is right here in the good ole USA. Outdoor vision is a great company. They used to make everything here. However, only Geoff could tell you if these harnesses are being out sourced now.

Squatch75

FNG
Hi all - I know someone just posted a bino harness adaptation for turkey calls, but wondering if something commercial exists. I'm looking for something I can wear underneath my backpack, which would have specialized pockets for 2 slate calls, strikers, box call, shells, mouth calls, locator calls, etc.

You get it - all the specialized pockets of a turkey vest, but supported by an ultralight bino-harness-type shoulder strap system. Perhaps something that sits lower than a bino harness - more like just the front of a traditional turkey vest with minimalist shoulder/chest straps? Anyone have any ideas... or should I try to buy a cheap turkey vest and just cut off all the extra/back stuff?
Might want to look into the FHF chest rig, just got mine set up for turkey season, I'll never go back to wearing a vest, got their turkey kit and the bino bucket for my 8 x 32s, doesn't stick out too much and compact

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered a fanny pack? The Kifaru Rogan has 2 pockets perfect for pot calls and lots of organization for the other calls. Plenty of room for TP and a thermacell too.

Dazzler

WKR
Have you considered a fanny pack? The Kifaru Rogan has 2 pockets perfect for pot calls and lots of organization for the other calls. Plenty of room for TP and a thermacell too.

That thing looks crazy small and expensive.

They make some nice call holsters for slates and box calls. The slate holsters can hold your strikers as well.

Cabelas has a speed seat that comes with a Fanny in the back. Two water bottle holders and two pouches for slates. Obviously not a chest rig, but it holds plenty and would be a good piece to use with a chest rig or small pack.

Looks like the outdoor vision is probably the way to go for turkey specific.

zacattack

WKR
That thing looks crazy small and expensive.

They make some nice call holsters for slates and box calls. The slate holsters can hold your strikers as well.

Cabelas has a speed seat that comes with a Fanny in the back. Two water bottle holders and two pouches for slates. Obviously not a chest rig, but it holds plenty and would be a good piece to use with a chest rig or small pack.

Looks like the outdoor vision is probably the way to go for turkey specific.

The Rogan Can hold a lot of crap.

Attachments

• 72FDD95D-3E7C-4CF7-8DAB-42AB47AD1AAD.jpeg
    72FDD95D-3E7C-4CF7-8DAB-42AB47AD1AAD.jpeg
    398.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 2D9CA8B3-ED2D-4581-8901-4243D1F560DC.jpeg
    2D9CA8B3-ED2D-4581-8901-4243D1F560DC.jpeg
    440.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 27F730CE-89AF-4B8D-8321-8CEDBFE90FED.jpeg
    27F730CE-89AF-4B8D-8321-8CEDBFE90FED.jpeg
    451.5 KB · Views: 45

Dazzler

WKR
The Rogan Can hold a lot of crap.

Does it ride in front for access? How is it situated when sitting against a tree? I always had to take a Fanny pack off to access against the tree because of the awkward position.

Are you carrying a seat along with the Rohan?