seek outside BCS 2 Grand

parshal

WKR
Plenty of space, you could sleep another person in the front part of the standard BCS without a stove. With the Grande you could easily sleep 4 with a burning stove and a wood pile and some gear.

I bought both the BCS Grande and an 8-man at the same time. I got the 8-man in the 70d material. I love them both. The 8-man obviously has a lot more room to stand up but it's also quite a bit more bulky. Mine with all the guylines, linelocs, stovejack, seamsealed and half liner is just over 9.5 lbs. The carbon fiber pole is barely over a pound. I plan on using the BCS as my primary packing shelter. I'll bring the Grande if necessary. The 8-man will be a basecamp shelter near the truck.

I guyed out my BCS a bit differently than ND's pics. I ran a long single line from the center rear point so I can use a stick or pole to raise it. I also put linelocs on on all the guyouts. I got them from z-packs and they use a ribbon so you can easily attach and remove them from the guyout. By using a single line from the last side guyout you can really get the shelter taught over the back area.

Thanks for the great feedback. I think I need to slightly change my mindset. I simply need 2 new shelters:) I want an 8 man with half liner for a luxury basecamp, and family camping palace (with half nest). Seems like it would be great for a backpack shelter as well for 3-4 guys to share the load.

To replace my Copper Spur 2, for 1-2 man backpacking use, bivying away from basecamp, and emergency backup, I'm thinking a bear paw wilderness pyratent in cuben.

parshal

WKR
Seems like it would be great for a backpack shelter as well for 3-4 guys to share the load.

I've got the half nest as well and it's nearly as large as the tipi when packed. One guy's going to end up carrying a bulky 7-8 lbs. with the tipi. The BCS Grande will hold three and gear with ease. Four might require a little less gear in the shelter but is still quite doable. There will be less room than in the tipi. I'd carry the tipi a mile or two but not much farther than that.

parshal

WKR
For what it's worth, I bought three of these lantern hangers for use in the 8-man and they fit perfectly. I'd tried to use the inside ties to make a clothes hanger but I wasn't really happy with it. These work great for throwing weight clothing on to dry as well as hanging a jacket.

http://snowpeak.com/products/lantern-hanger-large-lt-007

I got the smaller one for use in the BCS and it also fits perfectly. I'm sure I could make something lighter and I doubt I'll pack them too far but they already have the rubber coating and won't scratch or slide.

http://snowpeak.com/products/lantern-hanger-small-lt-006

OP
ndflatlander

ndflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
last night i changed the guy lines and also took a few pics with a sleeping bag and pad inside to give an idea of how much room there is in this shelter
IMG][/URL]