SE Wisconsin

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to potentially meet up with some guys (or gals) that share the same mindset and goals while hunting. Several trips have fallen through because of the few hunting buddies I have needed to back out.

Really just looking to connect with people local and if it works out maybe do western hunts.

Im from Walworth co and do most of my hunting and fishing there. Feel free to PM as well

TheHammer

WKR
I’m heading solo Oct 27th to co for rifle season. I’ll have a deer and elk tag in my pocket. I just got back from an archery elk hunt. I try to hit 2 -3 hunts a year. Plus the two deer seasons here. I’m in beaver dam and my business is based out of Juneau. Walworth is an hour ish from me, depending. The bow shop I use is in dousman. I’m sure a handful of those guys from there are on here as well.

OP
BravoNovember

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
I’m heading solo Oct 27th to co for rifle season. I’ll have a deer and elk tag in my pocket. I just got back from an archery elk hunt. I try to hit 2 -3 hunts a year. Plus the two deer seasons here. I’m in beaver dam and my business is based out of Juneau. Walworth is an hour ish from me, depending. The bow shop I use is in dousman. I’m sure a handful of those guys from there are on here as well.
Just started using the same bow shop (assuming we’re talking whaletales).

OP
BravoNovember

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of Western hunts are you interested in? Where in Walworth?
I’m looking to eventually do a little bit of everything. Im at a point in life where I can probably do a 10-14 day trip every year. Archery, rifle. Elk, deer, antelope. Eventually want to do an Alaska trip. My plan is to try and build points in several states and alternate so I can try and draw something each year. I’m in Elkhorn

I'm in Watertown and Whale Tales is the only Prime dealer! Have done CO 2nd season rifle for elk and deer handful of times and archery elk once. That is my main focus.
Of course Whitetail as much as schedule allows here as well. Got a few years before I draw another bear.

TheHammer

WKR
Kyle and Tyler are the only guys worth doing business with imo! They’ve been treating me great for 10years now, it’s awesome to see how their business has transformed over the years. Everyone I send there is taken care of and typically on a first name basis the second time they walk through the door. They have tons of business from Watertown. Funny I mention the bow shop and how there are probably a handful of them on
here, turns out we all use the same bow shop and we probably know each other or friends of friends.

Also if someone wants to tag along or rifle hunt with me, I’m open to a passenger or two. I have a canvas tent and stove, shower tent& plan on bringing my bivy setup incase pressure isn’t prevalent where I end up at. But being in shape and up to the task physically and in gear is required.

Last edited:

TheHammer

WKR
Long story short, I got very sick and dehydrated 5miles in. This limited my time back in the country, and shortened my efforts. I did get to draw my bow and once again the co winds switching on me while at full draw, had 3 encounters. It was my first time in this area and hunting with the tactics implemented. We did not get as far in as planned, me being 210lbs I was roughly 285 on foot going in, which was more then I was training for. The “trail” wasn’t really and if we had pack animals to get in, I’d have no question my tag and my hunting partners tags would have been filled. We got smoked out, any other trail head had too many vehicles at it. It was agreed that if we don’t draw next year we will be back in the same place but mid September vs opening as there was nobody else in that far due to the steepness of the terrain. Ran into lions and bears, even had a bear in camp one night rustling a food bag. Tons of elk in there.

OP
BravoNovember

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking to eventually do a little bit of everything. Im at a point in life where I can probably do a 10-14 day trip every year. Archery, rifle. Elk, deer, antelope. Eventually want to do an Alaska trip. My plan is to try and build points in several states and alternate so I can try and draw something each year.
Long story short, I got very sick and dehydrated 5miles in. This limited my time back in the country, and shortened my efforts. I did get to draw my bow and once again the co winds switching on me while at full draw, had 3 encounters. It was my first time in this area and hunting with the tactics implemented. We did not get as far in as planned, me being 210lbs I was roughly 285 on foot going in, which was more then I was training for. The “trail” wasn’t really and if we had pack animals to get in, I’d have no question my tag and my hunting partners tags would have been filled. We got smoked out, any other trail head had too many vehicles at it. It was agreed that if we don’t draw next year we will be back in the same place but mid September vs opening as there was nobody else in that far due to the steepness of the terrain. Ran into lions and bears, even had a bear in camp one night rustling a food bag. Tons of elk in there.
Sounds like you have some good memories even though you didn’t fill the tag.

TheHammer

WKR
There is a reason only 10% on average are successful, with less than 3% being repeatedly successful. Essentially the goal is to become the 1% of the 10%. This was my 4th western archery hunt. I keep learning do’s and dont’s, which may very well be far different experiences than others, leading to much different opinions with receipts. So constantly adapting is huge. Even though I have hard learned lessons, which may not be applicable in all areas. Each tag has brought a series of memories, highs and lows. I think getting into a new area and being able to draw was a win, especially all things considered. When you hear people who have more then grind it out and put on serious miles leaving no stone left unturned and hunt every day and every inch of a unit to not see anything, or encounter any fresh sign. I would consider myself very fortunate for the experiences I’ve had.

OP
BravoNovember

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
There is a reason only 10% on average are successful, with less than 3% being repeatedly successful. Essentially the goal is to become the 1% of the 10%. This was my 4th western archery hunt. I keep learning do’s and dont’s, which may very well be far different experiences than others, leading to much different opinions with receipts. So constantly adapting is huge. Even though I have hard learned lessons, which may not be applicable in all areas. Each tag has brought a series of memories, highs and lows. I think getting into a new area and being able to draw was a win, especially all things considered. When you hear people who have more then grind it out and put on serious miles leaving no stone left unturned and hunt every day and every inch of a unit to not see anything, or encounter any fresh sign. I would consider myself very fortunate for the experiences I’ve had.
I think that we think a lot alike. You could easily say that it was a loss because you didn’t punch the tag, but you are thinking about what you got out of it, and how it could bar used in the future

OMB

WKR
Kyle and Tyler are the only guys worth doing business with imo! They’ve been treating me great for 10years now, it’s awesome to see how their business has transformed over the years. Everyone I send there is taken care of and typically on a first name basis the second time they walk through the door. They have tons of business from Watertown. Funny I mention the bow shop and how there are probably a handful of them on
here, turns out we all use the same bow shop and we probably know each other or friends of friends.

Also if someone wants to tag along or rifle hunt with me, I’m open to a passenger or two. I have a canvas tent and stove, shower tent& plan on bringing my bivy setup incase pressure isn’t prevalent where I end up at. But being in shape and up to the task physically and in gear is required.
I moved back to the state a few years ago and had Whale Tales throw new strings/cables on my bow at the time and cut new arrows, I was pretty impressed. Stopped in there before my sheep hunt to grab a few pack accessories for my Stone Glacier pack, they were really great. Can't wait to buy a new bow in the next few years there.

I haven't gotten much into the SE WI "scene" because I grew up on the other side of the state, it's a different world over here.

OP
BravoNovember

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
I moved back to the state a few years ago and had Whale Tales throw new strings/cables on my bow at the time and cut new arrows, I was pretty impressed. Stopped in there before my sheep hunt to grab a few pack accessories for my Stone Glacier pack, they were really great. Can't wait to buy a new bow in the next few years there.

I haven't gotten much into the SE WI "scene" because I grew up on the other side of the state, it's a different world over here.
The SE Wisconsin “scene” is great if you love high hunter pressure 😂. All jokes aside I try and make the best of it and get out as much as I can, even if it’s just going for a walk behind a bird dog

tgh2631

FNG
Another happy Whale Tales customer here. I'm in Waukesha County about 50 minutes from Elkhorn. It sounds like we have similar mindsets. Looking to do some DIY western hunts next year and beyond, along with some Midwest OTC whitetail hunts.

OP
BravoNovember

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Another happy Whale Tales customer here. I'm in Waukesha County about 50 minutes from Elkhorn. It sounds like we have similar mindsets. Looking to do some DIY western hunts next year and beyond, along with some Midwest OTC whitetail hunts.
Shoot me a message if you are interested in meeting up sometime. I work in Mukwonago so am in Waukesha co most days