FNG from Wisconsin

New joiner from Western Wisconsin. Joined a couple months ago and figured I would introduce myself. This is a great community here and I have learned a ton already.

I mostly hunt archery/rifle public land whitetail and spring turkey in Wisconsin the past 22 years. I also hunt/have hunted some Wisconsin black bear/pheasant/waterfowl, MN whitetail, IL whitetail, and MT elk. Western fly fishing is a side passion I try to do as much as possible when time permits.

Growing a young family in WI and we eat as much wild game as possible. I look forward to learning more about rifles/ballistics, western hunting, product testing, backcountry gear/training, and reloading (dreaming about picking this up someday). Thrilled to be here!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Welcome to The Slid. I am originally from Wis. Janesville. Now in Southern Ca, UGGGHHHH.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new WI member.

Eddie

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Welcome, also originally from WI. Hunted a ton in the Mather/City Point area plus I am part owner of a bunch of property north of there 100 miles or so.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Southern Wisconsin sounds better than so cal! Hope you make it up to hunt every now and then and escape the madness
I use to make it back every year for some hunting. Stop at Warren Wi, for a pheasant hunt at Woods and Meadows then up up to Winter Wi. in Sawyer county for some grouse and deer hunting. Unfortunately most of my family and friends I use to hunt with have now passed. Not likely I be going back any more. I do miss it.

OP
WI-Carcosa
Welcome, also originally from WI. Hunted a ton in the Mather/City Point area plus I am part owner of a bunch of property north of there 100 miles or so.
Have not hunted central but driven through the general area north you mention many times..beautiful there. See much for elk with the herd expanding?

randy66

FNG
Welcome from a fellow wisconsinite! I'm in the Oshkosh area and fish Winnebago when not chasing deer and turkey in the wautoma area.

OP
WI-Carcosa
I use to make it back every year for some hunting. Stop at Warren Wi, for a pheasant hunt at Woods and Meadows then up up to Winter Wi. in Sawyer county for some grouse and deer hunting. Unfortunately most of my family and friends I use to hunt with have now passed. Not likely I be going back any more. I do miss it.
That sounds like a great annual trip. Sorry to hear of those close passing, that area is awesome I used to hunt in the Hayward/minong area for 20 years. Tough hard earned hunting but beautiful country and learned a lot.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Have not hunted central but driven through the general area north you mention many times..beautiful there. See much for elk with the herd expanding?
I have not seen any, but my cousin has, I believe NW of Phillips somewhere. I have not hunted a whole lot out there the last 10-15 years though. Every 2 or 3 years only.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have not seen any, but my cousin has, I believe NW of Phillips somewhere. I have not hunted a whole lot out there the last 10-15 years though. Every 2 or 3 years only.
No idea about the elk heard up there, but ti was, and may still be the grouse hot spot in the state.
we hunted there for years until we move over to Sawyer count to do our hunting.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
GSP, The property we own is about 20 miles south of Phillips. I can attest to grouse populations in the area. We used to go up there just to grouse hunt a couple long weekends in the fall and shoot a LOT of them. Grouse in your eggs for breakfast, fried grouse sandwiches for lunch, roast whole grouse (or some concoction) for dinner. Next day, rinse and repeat. Life was good. The 70's and 80's were epic.

IDShane

WKR
Welcome from a former Wisconsinite. I lived in Marathon, Lincoln and Bayfield counties during my time there. Alot of good times had there but I do not miss the winter's or the bugs...

OP
WI-Carcosa
Welcome from a former Wisconsinite. I lived in Marathon, Lincoln and Bayfield counties during my time there. Alot of good times had there but I do not miss the winter's or the bugs...
You lived in some good spots! I dont mind the winters but I agree with you on the bugs! Northern WI mosquitoes are the other state bird