SE Wisconsin

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I think they are once again allowing some access to Consolidate timber land. Kilt many a grouse on the land. They closed it after the damn bear hunter disrespected the land.

OMB

WKR
The SE Wisconsin “scene” is great if you love high hunter pressure 😂. All jokes aside I try and make the best of it and get out as much as I can, even if it’s just going for a walk behind a bird dog
Haha yeah I meant no disrespect, I spend 10-15 days every fall wandering public land up north behind an English Setter. Which, if I didn't love grouse hunting so much, I'd dedicate some time up there based on a lot of sign and deer I've bumped. Much easier to just drive the 2.5 hours home to my parents farm that I grew up on and get some home cooking to boot. I'm a member at Wern Valley now so I'm looking forward to the off season and having a place to run the dog for more months out of the year.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Haha yeah I meant no disrespect, I spend 10-15 days every fall wandering public land up north behind an English Setter. Which, if I didn't love grouse hunting so much, I'd dedicate some time up there based on a lot of sign and deer I've bumped. Much easier to just drive the 2.5 hours home to my parents farm that I grew up on and get some home cooking to boot. I'm a member at Wern Valley now so I'm looking forward to the off season and having a place to run the dog for more months out of the year.
Take a look at woods and Meadows in Warren wis. They offer real good pheasant hunting, I think they still hunt chuckar at the right time of year. They have sporting clays shoots several time a year which my nephew always partakes in. It has been two years since I was last there but I did enjoy bagging a few pheasants before heading up for grouse and deer in Sawyer county. while up there we staid at Wolfes Eagle lodge in Loretta. Greg ran the place for many years before he past away last year. as far as I know his wife Anna is still running the place. Right on the Chippewa river. We even did a little goose hunting on the river right at the lodge. I even manage to catch two short Muskie.

OMB

WKR
Got any details on that sheep hunt!?
I grew up like most anyone in Wisconsin, hunting whitetail/turkeys/upland stuff, with a dream of maybe going out west for elk or mule deer someday. Read a Jack O'Connor book in high school, had a mentor in my college years that had gotten his FNAWS, and started to realize it would be cool to hunt sheep someday. In 2017, I decided that I had put myself in financial position to make it happen and started doing research. I sent my deposit check off in 2018 for a July 2020 hunt, and obviously Covid happened and I pushed the hunt to this year.

Hunted in the NWT July 25-August 5th and was pretty blessed to catch up to a 10 year old ram of many, many lifetimes. Saw a ton of caribou but none worth putting a tag on, lots of grizzly bears, and shared some amazing country with great people. It was truly a life changing trip. I have a picture with the ram over in the sheep forum picture contest (he was too photogenic not too enter), but I haven't decided if I'll do a full recap yet on a forum. It's just one of those things where you start talking about inches of horn or outfitters and other hunters not having the same experience, I don't know that it does a lot of good on a public forum. More than happy to in PM's or answer specific questions if it's something you're thinking about doing someday.

Last edited:
@TheHammer that is an extremely heavy pack. I sweat like a fish and went through 3L of water hiking in out there. Colorado air is just different. The dryness really got to me. My pack was like 30 pounds lighter too.

I'm hopefully drawing a tag next year but the buddy I'm going with hurt his knee a couple weeks ago. I told him we'll get horsed in this time. He's upset as he had to eat a lot of tags out there this year.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

TheHammer

WKR
Horses are as expensive as the hunt. I’m looking into pack animals as I believe that the energy exhausted going in removed atleast a day or two worth of hunting. Yeah, I over packed a few things. This is with my bow attached obviously. I also eat a lot of food, maybe over did the survival gear. And brought a 2nd of a couple things. Maybe a bit more clothes than I should have as well, being into that kind of country in a place I’ve never been, I didn’t know what to expect and being that we hiked from 1-1130 it wasn’t like the truck was a in sight to go replenish something only giving up a couple hours. I can promise the hike out I was around 40lbs. This wasn’t my first hunt, I was anticipating on 4-5days in. And knew the country was steeeeeeeep. Just didn’t know exactly how bad and Rocky.

OMB

WKR
Good luck to any of you getting out this weekend for bow opener.
x2, best of luck to everyone this season.

I've killed nice bucks on the opener, but I'm to the point lately where unless I know about a buck that's really something great and he's patterned, I'd rather finish up the major house chores and chase birds anywhere else until the combines and grain carts show up. Too many guys look at social media and think they NEED to be out there right now when in reality they should just wait until Halloween to climb the tree.

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
Great to see some WI hunters on here—I’m west of you all in Black Earth. Tried my 1st CO muzzleloader hunt this fall—had a few close calls but did not fill my tag. I can’t wait to go back. I did however get a nice older buck my first sit out at the end of October. This made it so I got to do plenty of pheasant hunting too…E6597460-E18A-4D14-AF46-9229997CFE15.jpeg

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Originally from Janesville, WI. Managed to get cow Elk there of four most recent hunts. Spend the rest of the time out on the Ocean fishing or out small game and bird hunting.

Conroy

WKR
From Wind Lake here. Just on the border of Waukesha/Racine Counties. I mostly hunt WI, WY and MT, but usually with a rifle or muzzleloader. I do have a bow and only go to see Kyle out at Whaletales. I literally have an archery shop across the street from my house and drive to Dousman for anything I need.

OP
BravoNovember

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
We are moving to Vernon, just outside Mukwonago. Finally will have a yard big enough to shoot my bow past 15 yrd. Also have the opportunity to get a membership to the West Allis Kennel Training Club, any of you bird dog guys from the area have experience with them?