SD and MT Family Road Trip

LFC911

WKR
Got a family road trip planned from KC to MT and planning on seeing the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Deadwood, SD, Devils Tower and going over the Bighorn Mountains in WY, visiting family in Bridger MT and boating with them at Bighorn Lake. Probably going home through Denver, CO and don't have any stops planned on the way home. If you had 2-4 hours of extra time, what other attractions/points of interest would you recommend on the way up or back?

23 road trip.JPG

Tmac

WKR
Would add more than 4 hours, but from Cody you can take a jaunt through Yellowstone down to Jackson, then head east towards home. Some great sights along that route.

OP
LFC911

LFC911

WKR
Would add more than 4 hours, but from Cody you can take a jaunt through Yellowstone down to Jackson, then head east towards home. Some great sights along that route.
I think Yellowstone (or Glacier NP) is going to be next year and try to time it around TAC Bid Sky!

I was just out in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons a couple weeks ago and will agree with this. You could also take the Beartooth Highway from Bridger down through Yellowstone, that drive is well worth it. Rocky Mountain National Park is northwest of Denver and probably wouldn't add much time to your trip either.

WCB

WKR
Not sure how you have a trip nailed down to the hour of extra time. Buffalo Bill Museum 100% would be added to the trip.
Also even if it added extra time I would cut more cross country rather than drive I-29 to Sioux Falls and then again 90 from Sioux Falls to the river. Stop to eat in small towns and see the country. I've also driven those routes enough along with I-94 across MN, ND and MT that I get off of them asap and parallel them on state hwys if time is not crucial.

OP
LFC911

LFC911

WKR
Not sure how you have a trip nailed down to the hour of extra time. Buffalo Bill Museum 100% would be added to the trip.
Also even if it added extra time I would cut more cross country rather than drive I-29 to Sioux Falls and then again 90 from Sioux Falls to the river. Stop to eat in small towns and see the country. I've also driven those routes enough along with I-94 across MN, ND and MT that I get off of them asap and parallel them on state hwys if time is not crucial.
It's a curse sometimes...

7/14 Friday - Drive to Sioux City Iowa and stay at XXX , 4:17/289 miles 5 - 10 pm

7/15 Saturday - Drive to Badlands NP 5:05/356 miles, then onto Rapid City 0:57/63 miles and stay at 8 - 1 badlands 2 hrs 3 - 4 rapid city, dinner, hotel stay at XXX Rapid City

7/16 Sunday - Visit Mt. Rushmore 0:31/23 miles and Crazy Horse Memorial 0:32/18 miles then onto Deadwood Blackhills National Forest, Four Corners 1:10/54 miles and stay at Deadwood
8 - 8:30 2 hour mt rushmore, 10:30 - 11 drive 11 - 12 crazy horse, Deadwood and Sturgis stay in Deadwood at XXX

7/17 Monday - Explore Deadwood, visit Devils Tower 1:16/74 miles and onto Sheridan, WY 2:28/163 miles 8 - 10 Devils town 10 - 11, 11 - 1:30 Sheridan Pinehaven Lake drive to Bridger over the Bighorn mountains 2:49/146 miles

7/18 Tuesday - Boat and visit Family

7/19 Wednesday - Leave afternoon sometime?

7/20 Thursday - Drive to Denver 8:20/550 miles Drive to KC 8:24/593 miles

KBaird

FNG
Same as WCB. I’d do about 10% of that route on a four lane. Skipping around a lot of cool country in the Sandhills/Pine Ridge of Nebraska. Could swing east to Ft Robinson and then Hwy 2 across Nebraska on the way home. Sounds much better than getting that close to Denver for no reason.

OP
LFC911

LFC911

WKR
Same as WCB. I’d do about 10% of that route on a four lane. Skipping around a lot of cool country in the Sandhills/Pine Ridge of Nebraska. Could swing east to Ft Robinson and then Hwy 2 across Nebraska on the way home.
We could defiantly come home that way, the only issue is on the way up we already have hotels reserved. The trip home is wide open.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
When in the Black Hills, I would recommend Bear Country USA. it is a drive through animal park. My family loved it.

hunterjmj

WKR
Stay at the water park in Rapid City. The water park is fun and they have a Drink called the Hurricane and it'll make you sleep really good. There are a couple hotels attached to it and we usually stay at the LaQuinta.

My son is 3 weeks into a cross country road trip and picked out a number of scenic drives and areas to get out and do some short hikes. If I had 2-4 hours to kill Id try to do it on a trail.