Scope for whitetail hunting.

RussDXT

WKR
I have a Tikka 6.5 CM that will be used only in NC for deer hunting. Right now it has a SWFA 3-9 but I have a Trijicon Credo 2.5-10x50 that I’m thinking may be a better fit due to having illumination and a larger objective.

I wouldn’t use a sfp out west but back east in heavy timber with shots trending toward sub 100 yards it seems like it may be a better option.

Thoughts?

SloppyJ

WKR
Not sure you can go wrong either way. I don't know a ton about the swfas but the large exposed turrets kept me from getting one for my sons .223.

As far as illumination, I don't really care for it. On every illuminated scope I own, it blows out the entire picture too much to be useful at low light but I do have bad eyes. I'm talking, nightforce, zeiss, trijicon and plenty of others. The best would be if it only had an illuminated center dot.

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
For what you’re asking, iron sights would work.
I don’t know about the scopes you’ve mentioned, but for 100 yards and in I’d recommend a 1-5, or maybe a 2-7, in what ever brand you think is best.
My woods rifle has a Vortex 1.75-5 x 32 on it and I have it on 1.75 all the time unless I find an open field to sit on. Then I’ll crank it up to 5 and I’m good to go out to 300 yards.
I’ve hunted in NC a number of times, and from the thick woods/brush, out to the sweet potato, peanut, and bean fields, what I just mentioned would work for all those.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
Sub 100 I would go iron sights 😂.. no really you seem to be on the correct trail with the light gathering and ease of reticle at low power.

sdupontjr

WKR
I hunt similar situations. I have a high-end optic on one of my hardwood rifles, but I put a 2.5-10x56 Accupont on my sons Rem 700. Works very well for him hunting within the same range as you. What type of reticle does that credo have? My 4-16x50 credo has the MOA reticle center dot, but the entire reticle illuminates instead of just the dot, which can be blinding in lower light situations. The accupoint is just the center dot in the crosshair.

OP
RussDXT

RussDXT

WKR
I hunt similar situations. I have a high-end optic on one of my hardwood rifles, but I put a 2.5-10x56 Accupont on my sons Rem 700. Works very well for him hunting within the same range as you. What type of reticle does that credo have? My 4-16x50 credo has the MOA reticle center dot, but the entire reticle illuminates instead of just the dot, which can be blinding in lower light situations. The accupoint is just the center dot in the crosshair.

It has the simple MRAD reticle. I like a scope over irons due to the occasional long shot and seeing detail on something in the woods walking right at dark ( I can tell it’s a deer naked eye, just using the scope to determine more about it).

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
I use 2-7s and 2.5-10s in the thick woods at the ranges you are talking.

Last edited:
I dont think you will find much difference in the 2 scopes. If you want to split hairs the 2.5 on the low end might help in the woods but not much better than the 3 on the other. I dont have either scope but for woods or timber I tend to go with the scope that has the better glass. By that I mean the glass that I can best pick out a deer in cover. I used iron sights for years but found that a scope offered me quicker shots and one single point of aim. Plus it allowed me to sometimes see a small branch or stick up that might deflect my bullet. On low power you should have enough field of view to find your target.