Scope for an Elk hunt

Im going on an Elk hunt in October where i nay be potentially reaching out to 800 yards.. I am going to put the scope on a .300PRC, with that being said.. which scopes between these do you guys think would be better in terms of glass quality, turrets, and durability!! 1.. Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 4.5-29x56.. 2.. A Maven RS4 5-30x56.. or 3.. whatever other scope that fits in this same magnification/ price point! Please do your best with helping me decide!

OP
P
Whatever you get make sure to practice…a lot. Shooting at animals at 800 yards isn’t as simple as buying a big scope and bolting it to your rifle.
I agree we have a range nearby where we peactice quite a bit with our other rifles however im comfortable with taking a shot that far but i will agree you need the most amount of practice and the variables of shooting an animal that far are very many..

Here on the forums or do you know a website?
Call Doug @ CameraLand. He's a sight sponsor as well as takes great care of his customers.

There are other sights such as ScopeList where you can sometimes find great deals on scopes, sometimes new and sometimes demo models.

Strongly recommend that you read the threads around scope reliability.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Im going on an Elk hunt in October where i nay be potentially reaching out to 800 yards.. I am going to put the scope on a .300PRC, with that being said.. which scopes between these do you guys think would be better in terms of glass quality, turrets, and durability!! 1.. Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 4.5-29x56.. 2.. A Maven RS4 5-30x56.. or 3.. whatever other scope that fits in this same magnification/ price point! Please do your best with helping me decide!
Neither of those scopes is what I would recommend for your intended use. Head over to the long-range forum as recommended above and read through some of those scope evaluations. Then call Doug at Camera Land and order a Nightforce.

And don't discount all the posts about more practice. I mean this with respect, but it sounds like you have a lot to learn about long-range shooting based on your questions/posts in this thread.

OP
P
Neither of those scopes is what I would recommend for your intended use. Head over to the long-range forum as recommended above and read through some of those scope evaluations. Then call Doug at Camera Land and order a Nightforce.

And don't discount all the posts about more practice. I mean this with respect, but it sounds like you have a lot to learn about long-range shooting based on your questions/posts in this thread.
I appreciate the kind words and will take them to heart! Thank you for the positive input i appreciate it!

I didn’t think they carried Trijicon?

OP, you should read up on scopes in the long range sub forum.
Doug carries NightForce and he is a sight sponsor. That is why I listed him first. Then I listed ScopeList which carries both NightForce and Trijicon; but they are not a sponsor which is why they were mentioned second.

MHWASH

WKR
Personally I think your biggest hangup is the zoom range of said scopes. You will get more for your money if you lower your zoom range to the 3-18/4-16 group of scopes.

And read the scope tests in the long range sub forum.