Scope for 308

Looking to purchase a scope for my 308. Trying to decide between the Vortex Crossfire II 3-12x56 and the Vortex VIPER PST 2.5-10X44. Most shots will be between 100 - 150 yards.

OP
A
From experience, I've learned to "just say no" to Vortex scopes. They will let you down.
That is disappointing. My uncle had one on his rifle last season and it look good. Any brand you would recommend?

I have a vortex crossfire on my muzzleloader and it does great at that distance. Very aware that there may be better options, but for my virgin eyes that had only ever used the crappy scopes passed down from grandpa, I found the Vortex to be really really good.

WKR
It definitely isn't that bad. I use mine on a 308 and eye relief is similar to most other scopes.

I compared it to an swfa 3-9 and an accupoint 3-9, both with listed eye relief greater than the Huron, and found them to be very similar. Many others have reported the same.

Marshfly

WKR
The eye relief looks smaller compared to the Vortex options. Is it really that bad?
What's bad is when that Vortex breaks on a hunt and you miss an animal.

I was at an event this spring and two guys next to us were talking about how one of their Vortex scopes failed on a hunt simply riding in the pack. He missed a deer and went back to the range and it was a foot off at 100 yards. He was bragging about the Vortex warranty and how they replaced it. Who cares? It failed on a hunt and he totally missed an animal. The next one will do the same.

OP
A
What's bad is when that Vortex breaks on a hunt and you miss an animal.

I was at an event this spring and two guys next to us were talking about how one of their Vortex scopes failed on a hunt simply riding in the pack. He missed a deer and went back to the range and it was a foot off at 100 yards. He was bragging about the Vortex warranty and how they replaced it. Who cares? It failed on a hunt and he totally missed an animal. The next one will do the same.
I agree - who cares if the warranty is good if the product keeps failing. A company who offers a great warranty should be a company that offers a product where don't need to use the warranty.

Marshfly

WKR
That said...
Seems Trijicon warranty service is pretty darn amazing.

OP
A
I think Trijicon screwd up eye relief measurements. Their eye relief never bothered me, and 2 are on 300wsm rifles
I wear glasses and had an issue with a few scopes in the pass. Looking through my Uncle's vortex last season was one of the easiest scopes for me.

OP
A
That said...
Seems Trijicon warranty service is pretty darn amazing.

That is great service

Kyguy

FNG
If you're NEVER going to shoot past 150 yds for deer hunting, you really need nothing more than a fixed 4x scope.

If you're never going to shoot past 350 yds, get the best 2-7 or 3-9 duplex reticle that you can afford and sight in for maximum point blank range OR a 3-9 with a BDC or mil-dot reticle and use a ballistic calculator to figure out the hold over points.

Decide on how much money you want to spend before asking for suggestions. You'll get everything from a $69 Bushnell Banner to a $2500 for Nightforce or Schmidt & Bender. A better way to form the question would be "My budget is $XXX, what's the best recommendation for that price?" Of course, on here, people will beat the SWFA, Trijicon, and Nightforce horse to death, regardless.

If I were you, I'd probably buy the Trijicon Huron 3-9 with the reticle you like the best and roll on.

OP
A
If you're NEVER going to shoot past 150 yds for deer hunting, you really need nothing more than a fixed 4x scope.

If you're never going to shoot past 350 yds, get the best 2-7 or 3-9 duplex reticle that you can afford and sight in for maximum point blank range OR a 3-9 with a BDC or mil-dot reticle and use a ballistic calculator to figure out the hold over points.

Decide on how much money you want to spend before asking for suggestions. You'll get everything from a $69 Bushnell Banner to a $2500 for Nightforce or Schmidt & Bender. A better way to form the question would be "My budget is $XXX, what's the best recommendation for that price?" Of course, on here, people will beat the SWFA, Trijicon, and Nightforce horse to death, regardless.

If I were you, I'd probably buy the Trijicon Huron 3-9 with the reticle you like the best and roll on.
I guess I should have put my budget in my post, but my original post was asking for recommendation between two Vortex scopes not an open ended recommendation.

I needed to find somewhere near me that has the Huron so I can see how the eye relief feels.

I am noticing there are a couple of brands that Rokslide love blindly. I am trying to get budget friendly late-season jacket and bib recommendations and Sitka has been the overwhelming recommendation. Unfortunately not budget friendly unless I can find a Friends and Family code soon.

Kyguy

FNG
I guess I should have put my budget in my post, but my original post was asking for recommendation between two Vortex scopes not an open ended recommendation.

I needed to find somewhere near me that has the Huron so I can see how the eye relief feels.

I am noticing there are a couple of brands that Rokslide love blindly. I am trying to get budget friendly late-season jacket and bib recommendations and Sitka has been the overwhelming recommendation. Unfortunately not budget friendly unless I can find a Friends and Family code soon.
I think you've got different responses because neither of those Vortex Scopes are needed for what you're planning on doing. The hog killer is just a pointless optic in my mind... It's just a cheap alternative to a better quality optic in the first place. And the PST has a reticle and features that you really don't need, or that you'll really ever use in your scenarios. I try to tell people to buy for their 95% scenarios.. you'll get more for your money than trying to buy something for the 5% that may never happen.

WKR
I do apologize for offering a 3rd option not in your post. I don't like it when other people do it,so I understand. I just think that Huron is a much better option for your use, I couldn't help myself. If you buy one and hate the eye relief, I'll buy it from you.

OP
A
I do apologize for offering a 3rd option not in your post. I don't like it when other people do it,so I understand. I just think that Huron is a much better option for your use, I couldn't help myself. If you buy one and hate the eye relief, I'll buy it from you.
Don't apologize I appreciate the option especially at the pricing you shared.

I was hoping to get the best scope for the money sub $400 and the two vortexs I asked about, looked to be the best options.

Especially after this deal hit today:

I appreciate the confidence in the eye relief.

Marshfly

WKR
Don't apologize I appreciate the option especially at the pricing you shared.

I was hoping to get the best scope for the money sub $400 and the two vortexs I asked about, looked to be the best options.

Especially after this deal hit today:

I appreciate the confidence in the eye relief.
If "features" make a scope "best" to you, that Vortex is it, I guess. If working and not breaking makes a scope best to you, Vortex is at the bottom of the heap.