Scope Field Eval Explanation and Standards

Ripnbst

FNG
Are the results of this test posted anywhere yet? I jumped around and scanned all 12 pages of this thread trying to find them but they've eluded me which is shocking considering how extensive I was expecting the results post to be.

mi650

WKR
Are the results of this test posted anywhere yet? I jumped around and scanned all 12 pages of this thread trying to find them but they've eluded me which is shocking considering how extensive I was expecting the results post to be.
There's no list that I know of. Each scope tested has its own thread.

slatebuilder

Lil-Rokslider
First off thank you to those of you who are spending your time and resources doing these tests.

Are there other good and reliable sources of information available on scopes and actual functional tests besides the tests and reviews conducted for this forum? Marketing sales pitches, many gun writer reviews, and salesmen at the scope counter seem to be questionable sources. For example the dude at the Eurooptic counter wanted to sell me a vortex based on the glass quality and the quantity that they sell. “We sell a lot of these, the glass is awesome and people like them”. No thank you.

There is a tremendous glut of information available. How does the average hunter/shooter separate the BS from good solid information? Any pointers on where we can look?

First off thank you to those of you who are spending your time and resources doing these tests.

Are there other good and reliable sources of information available on scopes and actual functional tests besides the tests and reviews conducted for this forum? Marketing sales pitches, many gun writer reviews, and salesmen at the scope counter seem to be questionable sources. For example the dude at the Eurooptic counter wanted to sell me a vortex based on the glass quality and the quantity that they sell. “We sell a lot of these, the glass is awesome and people like them”. No thank you.

There is a tremendous glut of information available. How does the average hunter/shooter separate the BS from good solid information? Any pointers on where we can look?

Look no further than here?

QuickTrigger7

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for advice

J
ust purchased a 7prc horizon.

Will be a hunting rifle. I do tend to beat the hell out of my rifles trekking through the mountains. Im looking at getting a new scope i plan on shooting out to 1200 yards. Previously had a mark 5 7x35 on a 28 nosler for my moutain gun. But after do extensive research and from my own experiences i wanna move away from leupold because of there durablity issues. I dont shoot enough to use fancy reticles, i like it plain and simple I always dial my long range shots.

What would be the best long range hunting scope really leaning towards night force nx8 atac but also interested in trijicon ten mile, swfa.

Any advice is appreciated

h2so4

WKR
Form posted his preferred scope for a variety of ranges. That would probably
Be a good starting point if your open and looking for direction.

h2so4

WKR
Both. While the probability is relatively high that the RS1.2 will rove reliable long term, it can’t not be stated definitively right now. Also, if size, weight, or cost are major concerns, than the others might make sense.

Right now where it stands for me:

0-600’ish yards (sometimes farther) it’s a SWFA 6x MQ.

0-700 or 800’ish it’s a SWFA 3-9x if weight matters, or a Maven RS1.2 now.

For hunting use where above 10x is required, the Maven RS1.2.

For use where glass and low light capability, along with LR performance is required, Minox ZP5 5-25x56mm THLR.

Which one(s) did he mention? I could not find it.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus would you place the Trijicon Tenmile 3-18 anywhere on the go to list?

It’s a good scope. If someone wanted a 3-18x’ish scope with a tree reticle that’s the one I would pick in general.

For hunting, it doesn’t do anything that, so far, the Maven RS1.2 doesn’t do better.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
The tree reticle is the one thing I definitely see as a downside to it vs the maven reticle.

The Tenmile is longer, significantly less total elevation travel available, 8 mil turrets versus 10, and the reticle isn’t nearly as usable for all around hunting.
I’m not sure where the Trijicon is better at anything, other than Trijicon is making it publicly clear that they are specifically designing and testing their scopes to hold zero through use- this a big deal and does give more confidence that they will continue to do so.

The Tenmile is longer, significantly less total elevation travel available, 8 mil turrets versus 10, and the reticle isn’t nearly as usable for all around hunting.
I’m not sure where the Trijicon is better at anything, other than Trijicon is making it publicly clear that they are specifically designing and testing their scopes to hold zero through use- this a big deal and does give more confidence that they will continue to do so.
Where do the two stand eyebox wise? Maven the winner there too?

TX_Diver

WKR
@Formidilosus why the 6x MQ over the 3-9 for 0-600?

I have and really like both (only one more non SWFA scope to replace now) but it seems like the 3-9 would be slightly more versatile? They are roughly the same weight if I remember right and while the 3-9 is more expensive than the 6x it's not an extremely expensive scope compared to some of the others out there.

So far most of my shooting is sub 400 as it's 389 to my target from the best shooting spot here. I haven't had any trouble with the 6x at that range but my knee jerk reaction would have been that the 3-9 would be able to do everything the 6x could do equally well but also do a bit more?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus why the 6x MQ over the 3-9 for 0-600?

I have and really like both (only one more non SWFA scope to replace now) but it seems like the 3-9 would be slightly more versatile? They are roughly the same weight if I remember right and while the 3-9 is more expensive than the 6x it's not an extremely expensive scope compared to some of the others out there.

So far most of my shooting is sub 400 as it's 389 to my target from the best shooting spot here. I haven't had any trouble with the 6x at that range but my knee jerk reaction would have been that the 3-9 would be able to do everything the 6x could do equally well but also do a bit more?

Simplicity. People should by equipment for what they actually do, not what they “may” do. Out to 600y’ish I, and very few of those I am around are over 6-7x. Since it isn’t required to have more than 6x; simpler is better. No futzing, no screwing with the magnification, not forgetting to turn it down, etc.- dial and shoot.