Scope Field Eval Explanation and Standards

TX_Diver

WKR
Simplicity. People should by equipment for what they actually do, not what they “may” do. Out to 600y’ish I, and very few of those I am around are over 6-7x. Since it isn’t required to have more than 6x; simpler is better. No futzing, no screwing with the magnification, not forgetting to turn it down, etc.- dial and shoot.
Makes sense. Thanks!

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder the way micrometers work (scope turrets) if the road test would get more passes if done before the drop test. I understand if scopes pass the drop test they will almost always pass the road test. This makes me think since these are spring loaded micrometers, that it is possible there may be "damage" to the spring system during the drops that otherwise would have let them pass the road test. This doesn't mean the scope is necessarily desired, just not as bad as it might appear.

Spring loaded micrometers are very susceptible to excess pressure and are usually not made of thin aluminum. It is possible the springs used in some scopes could get over compressed or when fully compressed the seating of the spring compressed the aluminum seating like a set screw does when tightening a turret cap. I know some scopes use flat leaf type springs, some use a single springs to oppose the 2 different micrometer heads (turret) that are 90* from each other while others use separate springs for each micrometer heads. There have been some cross section images of scope internals but I suspect this is the ultimate culprit area in losing zero outside of bending a turret thus changing the length of the micrometer.

I also suspect outside of damage or over extension in the spring area, lubrication of the spring to barrel contact point is VERY likely a contributing factor. The lubrication should be applied not just at the point of contact but to the fell length of travel to include the over extension to avoid "sticking" and needing a whack on the other side or a bunch of turret spinning to reseat the spring. In a perfect world I would love to take apart my scopes to check the quality of these areas from the factory. In my experience, service departments do not always follow or understand the functional design of mechanisms like this which is typically a result of poor training.