Scope Choice for 7PRC Elk gun?

Ludo

FNG
New here, and looking for some opinions. I have a custom 7PRC on order and I’m looking for a higher end scope to top it off. I’ve narrowed it down, and can go one of two ways… a lighter (23oz) weight 2nd focal plane with BT -or- a heavier (33oz) FFP with BT capable of reaching out a little further.

I’m leaning towards a FFP longer range scope to take full advantage of the long range capabilities of the 7PRC, but realistically i probably won’t ever take a shot past 600yds. I’d like to have the option for precise long range. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too.

The finalists are…
2FP:
Swaro Z8i 2-16x50 or 3.5-28x5

FFP:
Kahles k318 3-18x50 or K525 5-25x56*
*(Trying to keep the objective size 50mm or less)

All thoughts/opinions are welcome! Looking for experienced feedback.

nobody

WKR
Feel free to lay out your long answer. Why those choices over what I listed?
Durability, longevity, zero retention. Seriously, spend some time reading through those sub forums. There's too much info in there to disseminate into one post. Basically, most scopes aren't designed to be durable or to maintain zero under moderate to hard use. It's the reason why we spend so much time re-zeroing before season.

Nightforce and Trijicon test for impacts. Nightforce tests every single scope, Trijicon batch impact tests (from our understanding). SWFA doesn't impact test scopes, but their offerings are based upon a design and an optic that was designed to take abuse and maintain zero under impact and hard use for the Navy back in the 90's.

Swarovski = handle their scopes with white gloves.
Kahles = just a sexied up Swarovski, mechanically equal.

Start with this thread and you'll start to see what I'm talking about:

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/scope-field-eval-explanation-and-standards.246775/

The longer you're a member, the more you'll see the trend that we (we meaning members of Rokslide) place a precedence on mechanical durability and reliability above all else, and glass quality is way down the list. As long as the glass is good enough to allow you to see what you're aiming at, that's good enough. Who cares if you have awesome glass but your scope loses zero on washboard roads?

because the ones that pass the drop tests actually work as reliable aiming devices when used in the field. The ones you listed are somewhere between probably don't work and definitely don't work when subjected to actual field use. Someone posted in the last few days that their kahles turret completely came apart on a boat ride.

end of the day - your $ your choice, do whatever makes you happy. but don't delude yourself into thinking that they're all equal as aiming devices, that's actually where the most extreme differences lie between scopes.

TxLite

WKR
Your budget is large enough to allow just about any practical option. As mentioned above, Nightforce and Trijicons seem to get the nod here for reliable tracking and zero retention. I would personally look at the 3-18x44 ffp Tenmile for your uses/budget. @Formidilosus has done quite a bit of testing on it in the Scope Evals and it appears to be a solid scope. I’d look at the nx8 4-32x50 if you’re wanting a 50mm with a bunch of zoom. Both sit right in the middle of your 2 choices when considering weight. I’ve been very pleased with mine.

madcalfe

WKR
well as much as i wanna love the kahles k318i the first one the internals came apart after 2 months, they sent me a brand new one to replace it. 2nd scope lasted a year before the illumination knob started to bind and not work. that one had to go to Austria for 3 months. I now run a nightforce atacr 4-16x42.
if your looking to spend that much coin on a scope id go with a ATACR or ZCO

OP
L

Ludo

FNG
Durability, longevity, zero retention. Seriously, spend some time reading through those sub forums. There's too much info in there to disseminate into one post. Basically, most scopes aren't designed to be durable or to maintain zero under moderate to hard use. It's the reason why we spend so much time re-zeroing before season.

Nightforce and Trijicon test for impacts. Nightforce tests every single scope, Trijicon batch impact tests (from our understanding). SWFA doesn't impact test scopes, but their offerings are based upon a design and an optic that was designed to take abuse and maintain zero under impact and hard use for the Navy back in the 90's.

Swarovski = handle their scopes with white gloves.
Kahles = just a sexied up Swarovski, mechanically equal.

Start with this thread and you'll start to see what I'm talking about:

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/scope-field-eval-explanation-and-standards.246775/

The longer you're a member, the more you'll see the trend that we (we meaning members of Rokslide) place a precedence on mechanical durability and reliability above all else, and glass quality is way down the list. As long as the glass is good enough to allow you to see what you're aiming at, that's good enough. Who cares if you have awesome glass but your scope loses zero on washboard roads?
Great feedback, thank you. When I started down this optic rabbit hole, I called around to different guide services/outfitters and rifle builders to gather opinions. Originally the NightForce NX8 2.5-20 was at the top of my list but many of those calls I made had the same response which was “NightForce is great, but not the best for hunting”. The main reason being that it’s not as good in low light. I’ve been a Leupold guy my whole life, Most told me that Leupold was a good value, but wasn’t their “favorite” due to durability issues. The consensus favorite feom the folks I called was a mix of the European brands. Mainly Zeiss, Swaro or Kahles.
I don’t have experience with anything other than Leupold so I thought I’d continue my rabbit hole journey on this forum. You can never have too much data, right?

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
I do not have much experience with some of the “better” scopes. I have previously shot Leupold. I shot once through a swarm recently but not much time behind it. I researched a lot on here and for the gun I am building for me and the one for my wife, I went with a nightforce nxs. Haven’t used them yet, waiting on actions.

I saw someone post that if you wanted a scope that could double as a hammer and still hold zero, get nightforce. Thought that was funny. The nightforce will cost you weight though.

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
Also, look at used/demo. Swaro and nightforce warranties are transferable. Both were responsive and nice when I contacted them. I got my NF NXS for about the same price as a demo.

madcalfe

WKR
Great feedback, thank you. When I started down this optic rabbit hole, I called around to different guide services/outfitters and rifle builders to gather opinions. Originally the NightForce NX8 2.5-20 was at the top of my list but many of those calls I made had the same response which was “NightForce is great, but not the best for hunting”. The main reason being that it’s not as good in low light. I’ve been a Leupold guy my whole life, Most told me that Leupold was a good value, but wasn’t their “favorite” due to durability issues. The consensus favorite feom the folks I called was a mix of the European brands. Mainly Zeiss, Swaro or Kahles.
I don’t have experience with anything other than Leupold so I thought I’d continue my rabbit hole journey on this forum. You can never have too much data, right?
I've never felt like my ATACR wasn't usable in lowlight, and I'm running the 4-16x42
yes my kales has noticeably better glass to my eyes than my ATACR. I will say the kahles does better in low light conditions but it also has a 50mm compared to a 42mm like my ATACR.
Both scopes have very reliable tracking. I've used these on my sheep hunting rifle so for me personally ill take durability over glass. if I were say maybe blind hunting deer id opt for the kahles because I know I wont be toting my rifle up shale mountain sides where things just tend to get beat up a little more lol.

As people on here have already posted, forms scope eval is a great place for scope info.
Also just because a scope fails his eval don't instantly disregard it.
EDIT: unless its vortex just keep it in the trash.

Marble

WKR
FFP vs SFP, just look through both and move your way through the magnification to understand what the reticle looks like at all powers. If you are going to dial for longer ranges, I don't see the benefit of the FFP scope for a hunter. Just my opinion. This is sometimes a very subjective choice.

As far as low light goes. I have two NXS scopes and they have been the best by far in any light. I have never used a swaro rifle scope, but have all their other optics.

The NF will perform. Maintains zero and has great glass.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Read the testing and you'll have your answer. No one is going to do your work for you when the data is already available.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dennis

WKR
I have been please with the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 X 42 as a mountain hunting scope. For me it seems to be a reasonable compromise, between ruggedness, repeatability, weight and magnification.

OP
L

Ludo

FNG
Read the testing and you'll have your answer. No one is going to do your work for you when the data is already available.

Thanks for taking time out of your day for this incredible feedback. Much appreciated.

bmart2622

WKR

Thats an interesting take since Form did all the work doing the tests and reviews for you