Scope Choice for 7PRC Elk gun?

OP
L

Ludo

FNG
Considered the Leupold Mark5 at all? That one is tempting me.
I did. All of my other rifles wear a Leupold. The Mark 5s are actually what we used in that long range course I mentioned. My only issue is that they aren’t illuminated. That’s a deal breaker for me. (And I’ve heard of tracking/durability issues)

johnnyred

FNG
Classified Approved
You can get an illuminated reticle on them. It's $500 more. A bit of a big jump but they have those models out there at least.

OP
L

Ludo

FNG
You can get an illuminated reticle on them. It's $500 more. A bit of a big jump but they have those models out there at least.
Johnnyred, you may have just saved the day. I’ve been filtering wrong for the Mark5. The illuminated options weren’t popping up for me. I was literally on the phone about to buy that ZCO420… but this made me pump the brakes. Thank you

SFP wouldn't even be on my radar. I would buy an ATACR 4-16×42 FFP Mil-R and a good set of rings and spend the rest on ammo. Then shoot the piss out of it.

SloppyJ

WKR
The 4x32 Nightforce NX8 would be perfect. Pick which ever focal plane you want. For hunting, I'd recommend 2nd but that's just me.

Word of caution, I have a 2.5x20 NX8 and wouldn't recommend it for a long action. The scope is so compact it's hard to get it back far enough to get the proper eye relief required. Shouldn't be a problem on a short action but that's not what you have.

nobody

WKR
Johnnyred, you may have just saved the day. I’ve been filtering wrong for the Mark5. The illuminated options weren’t popping up for me. I was literally on the phone about to buy that ZCO420… but this made me pump the brakes. Thank you

Lots of other similar reports out there, just FYI.

Jdeck09

FNG
New here, and looking for some opinions. I have a custom 7PRC on order and I’m looking for a higher end scope to top it off. I’ve narrowed it down, and can go one of two ways… a lighter (23oz) weight 2nd focal plane with BT -or- a heavier (33oz) FFP with BT capable of reaching out a little further.

I’m leaning towards a FFP longer range scope to take full advantage of the long range capabilities of the 7PRC, but realistically i probably won’t ever take a shot past 600yds. I’d like to have the option for precise long range. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too.

The finalists are…
2FP:
Swaro Z8i 2-16x50 or 3.5-28x5

FFP:
Kahles k318 3-18x50 or K525 5-25x56*
*(Trying to keep the objective size 50mm or less)

All thoughts/opinions are welcome! Looking for experienced feedback.
NX-8 would be my choice in this price and weight range. It's going to be more durable and consistent and saves a few ounces