School me on Kestrel Units

OP
N

nobody

WKR
... I think I need to sit down for a minute.
Same! What blows my mind is the simplicity. I’m not typically a believer in shortcuts, but this one is just so simple I can’t help but just sit in awe.

I feel like Squints when he sees Wendy Peffercorn for the first time…

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Same! What blows my mind is the simplicity. I’m not typically a believer in shortcuts, but this one is just so simple I can’t help but just sit in awe.

I feel like Squints when he sees Wendy Peffercorn for the first time…

That’s the thing though- it really isn’t a shortcut. There’s an entire world that uses density altitude and when you ask those people, they look at you as if “how else would you do it?”

The shooting world is full of fudd lore, “we’ve always done it this way” nonsense.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
That’s the thing though- it really isn’t a shortcut. There’s an entire world that uses density altitude and when you ask those people, they look at you as if “how else would you do it?”

The shooting world is full of fudd lore, “we’ve always done it this way” nonsense.
You are right, shortcut is the wrong word technically. But it’s a shortcut when compared with the way “they” say it should be done. BuT tHe ScIeNce, right?

Kinda like checking zero incessantly… or ladder testing (even Hornady says THAT’S BS)… 3 shot groups…

Makes you wonder WTF happened in the shooting industry to create all this “science” through the years

Dumb question as I might be missing something conceptually here, if DA already takes into account temperature, why does Shooter require a temperature input as well?

Also, if one were to want an analog solution, is the Whiz wheel worth a look at?

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Makes you wonder WTF happened in the shooting industry to create all this “science” through the years

Engineers are what happened. Kidding.

Kind of.

Whether conscious of subconscious there is, and has been a trend to try to make shooting past MPBR a mythical event that can’t be done without dork level math and calculations. My thoughts are that it is equal parts making “LR shooting” special, and people don’t actually shoot, mixed with a bit of- most of the people historically that got into longe range shooting, say 10-15 years ago and before, tended to be engineers or people that liked math. Those type of people tend to make things harder or more complicated than they need to be, or really are.

1) Rifles and scopes that hold zero and work correctly no matter what

2) FFP mil/mil scopes

3). Wind brackets

4). Density Altitude

5). Base line drop charts- average gun, bad gun, good gun

Etc. All greatly reduce the mental load of shooting, and greatly removes confusing noise from the equation. Combine good manipulations, good shooting mechanics, low recoil, with a proper practice/training regimen…. Shooting becomes on demand.

BjornF16

WKR
Dumb question as I might be missing something conceptually here, if DA already takes into account temperature, why does Shooter require a temperature input as well?

From the user manual:

Density Altitude
-If you have enabled Density Altitude in Preferences, then pressure input type, altitude, humidity and pressure inputs will be gone and you will see Density Altitude and Temperature instead. If you've enabled Density Altitude then I assume you know what it is and how to use it. If you don't know, then just don't use it and skip this. The reason you must enter Temperature as well (even though the Density Altitude value incorporates temperature already) is because the actual Temperature must be known for Shooter to calculate the speed of sound which is important for calculating an accurate trajectory.

The speed of sound is dependent solely upon temperature. Most people believe it depends upon elevation as well, but it doesn't.

Last edited:

mcr-85

WKR
This has been interesting to read and learn. A Kestrel is something I have never used. I have used a Casio watch that gives station pressure and temp. I have always left humidity at 20%.

I got reading about density altitude and found this. Anyone have thoughts on using one of these cards combined with my watch that gives station pressure and temp to obtain a density altitude?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This has been interesting to read and learn. A Kestrel is something I have never used. I have used a Casio watch that gives station pressure and temp. I have always left humidity at 20%.

I got reading about density altitude and found this. Anyone have thoughts on using one of these cards combined with my watch that gives station pressure and temp to obtain a density altitude?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Sure. It’ll work. So will the chart I posted and your altitude.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
What are you using to get wind speed then?
Touché. I should clarify I’ve decided against paying the premium for one of the elite models to get all the extra stuff, like 30 stored ballistic profiles and 30 stages with 10 targets per stage of pre-programmable storage space and capability. Don’t need that, just a more basic model to be able to get snapshot ballistic info from time to time and wind speed at the time of the shot.

***Open mouth, insert foot.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Touché. I should clarify I’ve decided against paying the premium for one of the elite models to get all the extra stuff, like 30 stored ballistic profiles and 30 stages with 10 targets per stage of pre-programmable storage space and capability. Don’t need that, just a more basic model to be able to get snapshot ballistic info from time to time and wind speed at the time of the shot.

***Open mouth, insert foot.

Solid.

Also, it’s worth a look at used models too. Sometimes you can find the older ballistic models for $150-$200.