Save my season!!!

tater

WKR
Long story short: Deer+Ducati a few weeks back has equaled a need to return to a compound after 25 years of longbows for this elk season. I borrowed a compound for a day on friday and i was shooting fairly well to 40 yards with a bow that didn't really fit me well (no desire to exceed that distance), so i know i can make it work.

I am looking for advice on a bow/rest/sight and release set up. I need it to be easy to tune, and low maintenance and/or bombproof in the backcountry. I am a few hours away from any proshops, so when i make the trip this week i need it to be worthwhile, so knowing what i am looking for beforehand is important.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, as i have no clue what the new technology is really like, and i hate being at the mercy of a proshop staff that may or may not know what they are talking about.

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
I think there will be a lot of different opinions on this one.
I guess everyone will chime in with what they use.
So for me:
PSE bow, Axcel sight, Rip Cord rest, Spot Hogg WiseGuy release.

Gumbo

WKR
Bow: Whatever feels good. A Blowtech Reign shot the best for me this year and tunes great, but I wouldn't dare suggest they are bulletproof.
Sight: Spot Hogg Hunter
Rest: Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Micro tune
Release: Carter...whatever style you like

OP
T

tater

WKR
Have you considered a Harley? I mean if a Ducati will take down a deer... :cool:

It is a case of calculating KE and the whole "mass versus speed" debate...the deer was DOA...so speed does play a role...:D

But i am glad i wasn't on my Shovelhead when it happened.

When you head to the pro shop just keep your mind open to anything. The best bow for you will find you. Just shoot as many as possible. As far as accessories, just remember, you generally get what you pay for. Keep weight in mind (which I don't...lol. My setup gets heavy after 8 days in the elk woods.)

I am currently shooting a 3 year old prime alloy with a QAD ultra HDX dropaway rest. I have b stinger stabs and an Axcel Armortech pro witha a Tight spot quiver and favor Carter releases. All quality equipment. Far more $$$ than I have in any single firearm (except one, now that I think about it).

However, you may find more inexpensive equipment that shoots just fine for you. I bought a lot of my stuff when I was shooting 3d and it is probably overkill for hunting in a lot of cases.

OP
T

tater

WKR
Update: Drove six hours round trip to be told by "Pro Shop" (in no particular order)
"No, we don't have any bows to try. Buy one. We'll set it up, then you can use it, because no shop will ever let you shoot a bow first."
"No, i don't think an Elite is a good bow for you. You need the $550 PSE package bow we have."
"Prime makes a bow for experienced archers, not for beginners".
"A trigger release can be shot just like a back tension release."
"A whisker biscuit makes a fine rest for transitioning to targets and 3D."
"Anything longer than a 31" ATA isn't for hunting."

Worst. Archery.Experience. Ever.

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
You got hosed. Our shop will try to steer you away from doing stuff that is just wrong but will let you chose what brand of whatever and make sure you walk out comfortable and sighted in at 20yds. Since I probably can't help you find a good shop, here is my 2 cents.....
1. Find a place that will let you shoot everything in there and buy the one that YOU like best. All of the major manufacturers make good bows but none of them are backcountry bulletproof.
2. Stick with a 3-5 pin fixed or a 3 pin slider. I used to love a single pin but put the 3 pin slider on this year and love it. Either one typically allows quicker targeting than the single pin. Spot Hogg and Black Gold both make good sights. Again that's all personal preference.
3. A wisker biscuit is fairly bombproof but i like a drop away such as an AAE DOA. It's cable-driven and requires you to 'cock' it before each shot but once it's up you can leave it there and it has an arm that keeps your arrow from falling out.
4. A wrist strap, caliper-style release is probably easier to get started with than a back-tension or thumb trigger. Scott and Carter both make good ones.

Just like boots, packs, etc, archery gear is very personal and what works and feels good for you. If it were me buying a bow, I'd stick with Mathews (or their Mission line), Hoyt, and Elite. For reference I shoot a 5 year old Elite Pure, Black Gold Ascent Verdict 3 pin slider on a 6 inch dovetail, AAE DOA rest, and a Scott Sabrerooth release. Hope that helps.

Update: Drove six hours round trip to be told by "Pro Shop" (in no particular order)
"No, we don't have any bows to try. Buy one. We'll set it up, then you can use it, because no shop will ever let you shoot a bow first."
"No, i don't think an Elite is a good bow for you. You need the $550 PSE package bow we have."
"Prime makes a bow for experienced archers, not for beginners".
"A trigger release can be shot just like a back tension release."
"A whisker biscuit makes a fine rest for transitioning to targets and 3D."
"Anything longer than a 31" ATA isn't for hunting."

Worst. Archery.Experience. Ever.

Wow. I have never been in a shop that you couldn't shoot. I even bought a bow in a shop that didn't have a range, but they had a bag target set up.

2 of the above are correct IMO.

Elite's are great bows and very forgiving. Almost bought one instead of the one I have.
My Prime is one of the smoothest easiest shooting bows that I have owned.
You CAN shoot a trigger release with backtension(if set up properly). Hinges are typically mislabled as back tension releases. They can be fired on command just like anything else. Back tension is a methodology, not necessarily tied to a release. I have a hinge, a thumb release and an index realease, all fired with the same mechanics. Index releases are probably the easiest to learn on however.
Nothing wrong with whisker bisquits. I don't like them but they appear to work.
My recurve is like 60". My alloy is 33, guess I shouldn't hunt.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming you are having to go to a compound due to an injury that makes it difficult to draw a bow, I suggest a Mathews No CAM HTR. It will have an extremely smooth draw cycle and mathews builds a bombproof bow.

OP
T

tater

WKR
My plan when i drove up there was to shoot a Mathews No Cam, an Elite Energy 35 (or a Victory 39-i like longer ata's) and a Hoyt offering (i shot Hoyt for a long time years ago) and see what felt the best. I would have loved to have been able to shoot an Athens product (i've never seen a dealer in BC though).

Except shooting a bow first wasn't allowed...

At this point i'll probably have to take a chance and order online.

Last edited:

GFY

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure about your draw length and all that but I have an older Bowtech guardian that is set up and shoots great that I am not using. I have a 28 inch draw and it is a 70# bow. I shot it this morning out to 50 yrds. Also not sure about shipping a bow to Canada but if you want to try you sure can.

OP
T

tater

WKR
Not sure about your draw length and all that but I have an older Bowtech guardian that is set up and shoots great that I am not using. I have a 28 inch draw and it is a 70# bow. I shot it this morning out to 50 yrds. Also not sure about shipping a bow to Canada but if you want to try you sure can.

Speechless.
Thank you for the offer. PM sent.

Flyrod

Lil-Rokslider
Sad that the archery scene here in BC is slim for pro shops. Where are you located? What shop did you travel to?
What's your draw length and what do you figure you peak poundage pull will be during your recovery period?

Sodbuster

WKR
GFY

Nice gesture.That Guardian is a smooth, quiet, killer.

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
If the Bowtech doesn't work out I'll throw out a recommendation for the Hoyt Defiant 34, the cams are super smooth with no hump which should be good for an injured shoulder.. my defiant at 68lbs feels significantly easier to draw then my Carbon Element set at 60lbs!

Best of luck with the search and like several people mentioned, any of the bows mentioned will get the job done, it's all preference! For a sight I like Spot hogg Hogg it or Hunter 5 pin, bullet proof pins, great sights. For rest could go drop away (I like Ripcord Ace but Hamskea, Qad, etc plenty of options)

OP
T

tater

WKR
Sad that the archery scene here in BC is slim for pro shops. Where are you located? What shop did you travel to?
What's your draw length and what do you figure you peak poundage pull will be during your recovery period?

I am in Kootenay-Boundary. I drove up to a certain "Pro Shop" in Kelowna...
I have found that i can "push draw" a compound easily , so once the cams roll over the holding with let-off is no problem. Letting down may be a gong show though, depending on the cam profile. This will be an exercise in patience and humility for me.

A big "Thank You" to RJ for the great offer of his BowTech.

Now if we can just ensure that the forests remain open for hunting season...