Satellite communicators worth the cost?

elkivory

FNG
Inreach has many other capabilities that are really handy for the money. If I turn tracking on, my wife can be on computer at home and see where I am. You also can create canned messages that don't count in your text allotment, that can be sent from anywhere, anytime. example: All well, making good progress.
Arrived at camp.
My son and I use them to keep each other informed during day while hunting in non cell coverage area.
You pair it to your smartphone and use an app to type, read messages, etc.

ToolMann

WKR
My wife and I picked up a Mini 2 on sale and using dividends at REI this year for our upcoming drop camp hunt. As many other people have said, it's worth the price if you ever need it. Probably should have got one years ago for when I'm out without her and don't have service. Push of a button can bring you back home to mama.

TA2510

FNG
I bought the InReach + for a drop camp hunt last year, I took my 20 year old daughter on a hunt 3rd rifle. Just wanted to be able to communicate with my wife at home and just incase something happen my daughter would have the SOS button. I consider it to be some of the best money I have spent. My wife agrees, to be able to text her about our day and I also could get weather reports. It worked great.

In-Reach mini is reliable for emergency or checking-in. My only complaint is it can take 20-30 minutes to send/receive a message. If using for communication between users without cell service sometimes it takes a while to send/receive messages. This has caused issues for us a couple of times when coordinating for help after a harvest.
Hey quick question. When it took the 20-30 minutes, was that the first time you powered it up in a new location? I've heard(and confirmed with tests) once you get somewhere new it can take a while to get a connection. Or are you saying any back and forths between inreach devices takes 20-30 mins each?

BBob

WKR
^^^I've seen where mine is on continuously there can still be a delay. I figure it has to do with cover or canyons and having a satellite in view or waiting for one to move into view. The coverage is actually pretty sparse.

Last edited:

Mebe007

Lil-Rokslider
This is something that has greatly interested me for quite some time. Between my trips to the mountains and the time I spend offshore fishing it would be great to stay in contact with my wife and 4yo son.

The Motorola defy has peaked my interest. I wonder how reliable their service will be? I have downloaded the app and it seems.fairly nice and straight forward.

From what I can tell where the inreach wins in this situation is that it can function standalone for texting? While the Motorola rely on your phone (which would have to have battery) to communicate with home, unless the sos function is used.

Can someone confirm and help point as to which direction would be best. I usually carry a solar battery pack in my pack. Wanting to get something g before I go into the maine Northwoods in sept.

TA2510

FNG
Hey quick question. When it took the 20-30 minutes, was that the first time you powered it up in a new location? I've heard(and confirmed with tests) once you get somewhere new it can take a while to get a connection. Or are you saying any back and forths between inreach devices takes 20-30 mins each?
Where me and my daughter was camping last year was in a small bowl in some aspen. My daughter would sit inside the tent and text my wife at night and it may take a minute or so to send or receive. When we would be out hunting if it wasn't a lot of cloud cover I could text my wife and it would send pretty quick.