Sanity check first rifle config (elk, lightweight)

NSI

WKR
Sorry boys, I was on the move. Thread is pinned on the top of the forum, and linked above. Definitely worth a read. Here is just a brief interesting snippet: 7C472EBC-3568-4AEB-8D7D-D9AE7956808D.jpeg

I tried as well. I have no idea where his r700 comment came from and he didn’t respond to my question. If ALL other rifles failed the test, I’d love to see the factual data to back up what he is saying. As far as real life experience, I’ve never seen it. In 2020 I was chasing deer where the daytime high temperature was a maximum of 30 for an entire week. We had 4 different brand rifles in camp. Not one a tikka. And not one slam fired or malfunctioned. We filled all of our tags.
I've heard of the Remington 700 run from back in about 2015 having a slam fire issue but they recalled everything. Since then they have totally changed hands and manufacturing has been completely revamped with no further issues. I've guided and hunted with hundreds of people over the years carrying all makes and models of rifles and seen thousands of shots at below 0 temps and never personally witnessed a slam fire. This year in MT in November we had several -20 degree days and myself, friends and my kids all took shots at game with probably 4 different manufactures and 5 different calibers ( none of which were Tikkas) and had zero issues. It's not even something that crosses my mind with any of my rifles.

Taudisio

WKR
While the thread is informative for worst case scenarios, I’ll be sure to not leave my rifle unattended in the snow for 4 hours. If I did that, finding the damn thing would be my biggest challenge!

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
Thanks for the link/follow up! Very interesting but definitely an extreme test

The tikka is dang tempting, but by the time I cut and thread it I'm $200 less than a CA Mesa FFT that was ready from the factory, weighs 8-10 oz less, and still has warranty coverage

Or if I go savage ultralite it's actually cheaper, lighter, and ready out of the box

How are you getting these prices? You shouldn't be above $1100 for a new tikka cut and threaded and thats only because you're a lefty.

I'll be less than $900 into a new stainless t3x 6.5 creedmoor after chopping/threading any day now.

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
How are you getting these prices? You shouldn't be above $1100 for a new tikka cut and threaded and thats only because you're a lefty.

I'll be less than $900 into a new stainless t3x 6.5 creedmoor after chopping/threading any day now.
$920 for the rifle
$150 cut down barrel
$150 flute barrel
$100 threading
$55/hr * 2 hrs
$1430 Total

Skip the fluting if it's not shaving much weight and miss the mesa FFT sale and the gap widens back up to $500, which is more significant. No clue how you're getting it done for less than $900, but if I could pull that off I'd jump on it as well!

NSI

WKR
$920 for the rifle
$150 cut down barrel
$150 flute barrel
$100 threading
$55/hr * 2 hrs
$1430 Total

Skip the fluting if it's not shaving much weight and miss the mesa FFT sale and the gap widens back up to $500, which is more significant. No clue how you're getting it done for less than $900, but if I could pull that off I'd jump on it as well!
Bud you’re getting ripped.

750 max for the rifle
150 max for cut and thread (many good shops we can point you at)
10 for the trigger spring

Labor is of course included. Flutes are harm not help.

-J

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
Bud you’re getting ripped.

750 max for the rifle
150 max for cut and thread (many good shops we can point you at)
10 for the trigger spring

Labor is of course included. Flutes are harm not help.

-J
I'm just going on listed prices :/

Lefty tikkas start at $919 for the lite, $969 for the superlite

If the thread includes the cut and the labor costs that's a big difference! I'll give the shop a call to check, I've just been going off the prices listed on their website

What's the trigger spring thing?

$920 for the rifle
$150 cut down barrel
$150 flute barrel
$100 threading
$55/hr * 2 hrs
$1430 Total

New tikka - $740 (right handed)
Chop and thread - $110

Last edited:
OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
New tikka - $740 (right handed)
Chop and thread - $100
The joys of being a righty lol

As if the limited selection and availability wasn't punishment enough, they just have to throw on a premium upcharge too

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
Updating as I go here -
Because I'm still waiting on the tax return cash to come in I've had time to shoot my buddy's 7 Rem Mag and my uncle's 270. The 7 wasn't bad for hunting, but was definitely more than I'd like for a day of shooting. The 270 was easy shooting - upgrade the butt pad on that rifle and I'd have been golden to plink all day.

It has also given me time to crunch even more numbers, and I've got an interesting idea. The 280 AI kicks just a hair more than the 270 by my calculations, and you toss a brake/suppressor on that it's gonna be an easy shooter. But the 280 AI is a pain to find in lefty at mountain rifle weights (pretty much pushes me to a Weatherby Backcountry 2.0, which is a great looking gun but would really hammer the budget) and the ammo is nowhere to be found. The 7 PRC on the other hand is readily available in rifles and ammo (even for lefties) and while top end loads are a fair bit spicier on recoil, the starting loads put it down in 270/280 AI territory (and suppressed starting loads put it in unsuppressed creedmoor territory). So my thought is to go with the 7 PRC and reload closer to the starting load for everyday practice while retaining the option to crank that load up for hunting season.

woods89

WKR
I think you're making it waaayyyy too complicated.

If I were in your shoes, knowing what I know now, here's the recipe I would follow.

T3x lite, 6.5 CM
Nightforce/SWFA optic, solidly mounted
Suppressor of your choice
1000 rounds of Hornady ammo with 140 ELD M, ( or enough reloading components for similar.)

Shoot at least 800 of those rounds away from the bench, and use a few to kill some animals. If you still want something else after that, then get whatever you want. As the 6.5 thread shows, elk are not a problem.

This business of loading cartridges down for practice and up for hunting is not going to be as simple as it seems.

If someone had pointed me in this direction in my teens I'd be a much better rifleman today.

woods89

WKR
What he said! ^^^^Absolutely what I would recommend but Tikka doesn't chamber a 6cm yet do they?
Other than that, a Tikka is the BEST accuracy guarantee there is. I'd suggest keep it simple ,get a Tikka in 6.5 cm and top with a 6x swfa(I use mine on a 1 moa gong at 1000 yards quite easily. Or the 3x9 SWFA, 20 moa Hawkins one piece mounts and a pallet of 140 eld ammo or bullets and alpha brass and go try shooting the barrel out.
Read all you can about shooting in wind and then go shoot in wind. These are things that actually matter. Cut and thread barrel at 20" or so. Lighten factory trigger, aggressively free float barrel if needed. Shoot without can till you get it. This will help teach recoil management.
Looks like this guy beat me to it, lol......

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
I think you're making it waaayyyy too complicated.

If I were in your shoes, knowing what I know now, here's the recipe I would follow.

T3x lite, 6.5 CM
Nightforce/SWFA optic, solidly mounted
Suppressor of your choice
1000 rounds of Hornady ammo with 140 ELD M, ( or enough reloading components for similar.)

Shoot at least 800 of those rounds away from the bench, and use a few to kill some animals. If you still want something else after that, then get whatever you want. As the 6.5 thread shows, elk are not a problem.

This business of loading cartridges down for practice and up for hunting is not going to be as simple as it seems.

If someone had pointed me in this direction in my teens I'd be a much better rifleman today.

Appreciate the reply!

Not looking to start a whole 6.5 cm for elk thread, but I'm just not sold on it and at the end of the day I know if that doubt is lurking in the back of my mind it's not gonna be a good time.

I'm curious what the pitfalls of the practice/hunting load idea are from the reloading standpoint? Total noob on this front, but as long as I'm staying above starting loads I shouldn't have to resort to any trickery and accuracy nodes seem to be closely spaced enough to find one on the low end and another on the high end. But if I'm missing something I'd definitely like to learn about it now!

Definitely agree I need to put some lead down range, which is why I've been focusing so much on finding something that's fun to shoot instead of just tolerable.

woods89

WKR
Appreciate the reply!

Not looking to start a whole 6.5 cm for elk thread, but I'm just not sold on it and at the end of the day I know if that doubt is lurking in the back of my mind it's not gonna be a good time.

I'm curious what the pitfalls of the practice/hunting load idea are from the reloading standpoint? Total noob on this front, but as long as I'm staying above starting loads I shouldn't have to resort to any trickery and accuracy nodes seem to be closely spaced enough to find one on the low end and another on the high end. But if I'm missing something I'd definitely like to learn about it now!

Definitely agree I need to put some lead down range, which is why I've been focusing so much on finding something that's fun to shoot instead of just tolerable.
If you always shoot the same load your ballistics will become second nature after a bit. If your switching its not going to be nearly so intuitive. I've also found that it's easier to keep enough ammo loaded up for myself if I just keep it simple.

All I'm doing is telling you what would have made my road much easier after 20 years of using rifles, and making a lot of mistakes.

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
If you always shoot the same load your ballistics will become second nature after a bit. If your switching its not going to be nearly so intuitive. I've also found that it's easier to keep enough ammo loaded up for myself if I just keep it simple.

All I'm doing is telling you what would have made my road much easier after 20 years of using rifles, and making a lot of mistakes.
Ah, interesting point - hadn't thought of just having the one load locked into my head for adjustments.

Always more food for thought - and I definitely appreciate the advice! I'll keep over analyzing until the govt gives me back my money and then I'll pull the trigger

Taudisio

WKR
Updating as I go here -
Because I'm still waiting on the tax return cash to come in I've had time to shoot my buddy's 7 Rem Mag and my uncle's 270. The 7 wasn't bad for hunting, but was definitely more than I'd like for a day of shooting. The 270 was easy shooting - upgrade the butt pad on that rifle and I'd have been golden to plink all day.

It has also given me time to crunch even more numbers, and I've got an interesting idea. The 280 AI kicks just a hair more than the 270 by my calculations, and you toss a brake/suppressor on that it's gonna be an easy shooter. But the 280 AI is a pain to find in lefty at mountain rifle weights (pretty much pushes me to a Weatherby Backcountry 2.0, which is a great looking gun but would really hammer the budget) and the ammo is nowhere to be found. The 7 PRC on the other hand is readily available in rifles and ammo (even for lefties) and while top end loads are a fair bit spicier on recoil, the starting loads put it down in 270/280 AI territory (and suppressed starting loads put it in unsuppressed creedmoor territory). So my thought is to go with the 7 PRC and reload closer to the starting load for everyday practice while retaining the option to crank that load up for hunting season.
I like your thinking, but why stop at the 7prc? Get a 28 nosler and do the same thing but have the option to really stomp on it! My 280ai recoil was absolutely indistinguishable from my 270 I sold.

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
I like your thinking, but why stop at the 7prc? Get a 28 nosler and do the same thing but have the option to really stomp on it! My 280ai recoil was absolutely indistinguishable from my 270 I sold.
Very true! Wrote off the Nos early on, but I may need to give it another look :)

How's ammo availability in your experience?

I find a dialed back reload for practice and premium ammo for hunting totally works. Especially on my 444 Marlin.

If that works for you, go for it.