Sanity check first rifle config (elk, lightweight)

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
IIRC, I believe he goes off the 1500 ft lb rule. Right or wrong if it makes him comfortable then do it. I don’t remember the numbers for the 308 off the top of my head, but I think it’s 100-200 yards shorter than the prc. I don’t disagree with what you said though.
I know it's not the best rule, but it's a useful one. Honestly the bigger thing with the 308 is the speeds, as lots of the higher performing bullets seem to want you at that 1900+ fps for reliable full expansion

Taudisio

WKR
Honestly the 308 numbers just haven't been impressive, and lately the most common ammo on the shelves has been 6.5 CM or 6.5 PRC (at least around me). I have been giving the good ol' 270 another look lately, and man does that thing hold up! The issue I have with both the 308 and the 270 is that no one puts anything faster than a 1:10 twist on them, and knowing myself that's gonna be really annoying when I want to reload some awesome new bullet but my barrel can't stabilize it
You won’t need more than 1:10 in 308. If you strictly compare the Hornady precision hunter 270 vs 6.5prc. You have 145@3000 and 143@2990

The 308 has been doing exactly what you want for a long time

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
I haven’t crunched the numbers, but at 10,000+ft elevation that he mentioned, the 308 should carry him pretty far. I think he was also concerned about recoil too though. And the 308 maybe pushing his recoil limits.
The 10k elevation opened things up for sure - I've been re-running my numbers this weekend and that really makes it more of a "pick your cartridge" game.

I've also been sanity checking myself on the recoil front, because I've shot the family 270 plenty of times over the years and never felt like that recoil was anything notable

Taudisio

WKR
I know it's not the best rule, but it's a useful one. Honestly the bigger thing with the 308 is the speeds, as lots of the higher performing bullets seem to want you at that 1900+ fps for reliable full expansion
I’d love to hear you crunch your numbers for a 165gr sst in the 308 and see if it meets your standards at the elevation you will be

You won’t need more than 1:10 in 308. If you strictly compare the Hornady precision hunter 270 vs 6.5prc. You have 145@3000 and 143@2990

Ultimately it's your rifle you pick what you think will suite you best. You asked for advice and opinions and these are just honestly them. Like I said I own both and I like them both just wanted you to understand the options related to what you were asking.

Ultimately it's your rifle you pick what you think will suite you best. You asked for advice and opinions and these are just honestly them. Like I said I own both and I like them both just wanted you to understand the options related to what you were asking.
That was meant for the OP I fat fingered it and tagged it to your post apologies.

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG

One added benefit that the 270 has going for it if I'm going classic cartridge is that it's what most of the family shoots, so easy ammo if I need it, cousins who reload, all that stuff

sylvest

FNG
I would run larger bullet, lil longer barrel, and lighter scope if it was me. If you're going to reload get 280AI. I have a 7RM and prefer the added authority over 6.5PRC especially for elk. 20" barrel will cut your range down some as well. To each his own.

Taudisio

WKR
The 10k elevation opened things up for sure - I've been re-running my numbers this weekend and that really makes it more of a "pick your cartridge" game.

I've also been sanity checking myself on the recoil front, because I've shot the family 270 plenty of times over the years and never felt like that recoil was anything notable
I’ve been down your road so many times. 😆
It’s part of the fun. I’m still in favor of the 6.5 prc in the 110 UL as I have it, and know it will do way more than what you’re asking

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
Always appreciate the input!

The twist is more in my mind for the 270, since browning just started releasing a set at 1:7.5 (but righty only and in 26-28 inch barrels)

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
I would run larger bullet, lil longer barrel, and lighter scope if it was me. If you're going to reload get 280AI. I have a 7RM and prefer the added authority over 6.5PRC especially for elk. 20" barrel will cut your range down some as well. To each his own.
The 280 AI was definitely leading the pack for me for a while, but rifles (esp lefty rifles) are real hard to find right now, as is ammo. Absolutely goldilocks cartridge though

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
I’ve been down your road so many times. 😆
It’s part of the fun. I’m still in favor of the 6.5 prc in the 110 UL as I have it, and know it will do way more than what you’re asking
Hahaha, it's part of the fun for sure! Even if I end up talking myself in circles a dozen times

The PRC and the 270 look like they have about the same recoil, so I think I've come around on that front. Now the question is if I go new-fangled or classic, and how much I want to tinker on the reloading front (apparently for reloads in the PRCs there's a weird chamber issue that you have to custom ream to solve?)

The 280 AI was definitely leading the pack for me for a while, but rifles (esp lefty rifles) are real hard to find right now, as is ammo. Absolutely goldilocks cartridge though
That opens up a whole other can of worms because you can get into the 27 Noslar or 277 furry or even the 6.8 western. All have faster twist barrels and are specifically designed for higher bc heavier bullets. When you go down that rabbit hole you lose the option of ease of use unless you plan to jump in with both feet reloading. Don't get me wrong I handload most of my ammo but it's nice to have the ability to go into almost any store in any tiny town when the need might arise and buy a box of ammo. It may not be ideal but it keeps you in the game.

That opens up a whole other can of worms because you can get into the 27 Noslar or 277 furry or even the 6.8 western. All have faster twist barrels and are specifically designed for higher bc heavier bullets. When you go down that rabbit hole you lose the option of ease of use unless you plan to jump in with both feet reloading. Don't get me wrong I handload most of my ammo but it's nice to have the ability to go into almost any store in any tiny town when the need might arise and buy a box of ammo. It may ot be ideal but it keeps you in the game.

That opens up a whole other can of worms because you can get into the 27 Noslar or 277 furry or even the 6.8 western. All have faster twist barrels and are specifically designed for higher bc heavier bullets. When you go down that rabbit hole you lose the option of ease of use unless you plan to jump in with both feet reloading. Don't get me wrong I handload most of my ammo but it's nice to have the ability to go into almost any store in any tiny town when the need might arise and buy a box of ammo. It may not be ideal but it keeps you in the game.
You could even jump into the 7 PRC which is the new kid on the block and still have less recoil from what I hear with better ballistics than the 270. Or even the 7mm-08 again it's a deep rabbit hole.

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
Yeah, I think the option to pull the emergency lever and buy a box at the local store is something I want to keep on the table (especially as a new reloader)

OP
S

sdirks3

FNG
You could even jump into the 7 PRC which is the new kid on the block and still have less recoil from what I hear with better ballistics than the 270. Or even the 7mm-08 again it's a deep rabbit hole.
From what I've seen the 7 PRC is absolutely awesome on the ballistics, but it jumps your recoil from the ~20 ft lbs of the 270 and 6.5 PRC to ~30 ft lbs

Taudisio

WKR
Hahaha, it's part of the fun for sure! Even if I end up talking myself in circles a dozen times

The PRC and the 270 look like they have about the same recoil, so I think I've come around on that front. Now the question is if I go new-fangled or classic, and how much I want to tinker on the reloading front (apparently for reloads in the PRCs there's a weird chamber issue that you have to custom ream to solve?)
I don’t reload for my prc. The factory stuff is faster than the box says and shoots .5 moa. Bought a case of it before Covid and maybe shoot a box a year between the range and animals. I shot it quite a bit when I first got it. But ammo was cheaper then. I have other projects and range guns to play with. My 280ai recoils no different than my 270. My 308 can be a little snappy. My 6.5prc has the break on it. It’s the lightest gun I have and recoils way less than my un-braked 6.5cm

Taudisio

WKR
The 7mm-08 is possibly the next caliber on my list. Or a 7SAUM. Or a 28 nosler.

The 7mm-08 is possibly the next caliber on my list. Or a 7SAUM. Or a 28 nosler.
28 Noslar is an awesome round but recoil is substantially heavier I have an affinity for 28 caliber guns especially for long range stuff. It shoots and recoils the same as my 7mm STW but less than my 7mm RUM which is the top of that heap. I even played with a Lazeroni warbird back in the day and a 7mm weatherby both were recoil hammers and horribly inefficient cartridges but they were accurate and fast.