Salomon 4d Quests fit perfect until they changed fit ... Now what?

Salomon 4d quests 9.5s fit my foot perfect. So much that I had an extra pair stashed for years that I just started breaking in. Didn't realize that they changed the fit on the newer strap version and the quality on the new models is suspect anyways so doubt I'll be buying those again.

If the older 4d Quests fit your foot very well too, what are you using now? Can you list what size you wore in 4ds and what size you're using on new boots as well for reference please? Thx

Still looking. I think ill try to find an old pair on ebay or buy the special forces model. That appears to be the old design.

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Same boat as you. I tried the Meindl USA Comfort Hiker this year and found that it fit pretty well. Not like the Salomon Quests though…The search continues.

wyosteve

WKR
No good answer for you. I have 3 pairs of the old style Salomons that I probably won't wear out for a while, But I recently picked up some Crispi Colorado wides that may work. Plan to use them on a Jan. aoudad hunt so will report back.

SDHNTR

WKR
I went through the same realization when they changed the Quest 4d. I moved to the Lowa Camino in wide and found equally good fit. On my 3rd pair now.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I've worn out an honest 8-10 pairs and was super disappointed with the new model. Like you mentioned I bought a set of the forces and I'm not sure what to think. I hate that the laces are eyes not hooks and they're re designed like the new 4d. There's no getting away from it. They feel a little different too.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I wore the Salomons at work for a long time. They new ones still fit okay, but not as great as the old ones did. As far as a hunting boot, the Crispi Colorados fit my feet perfect. I’ve tried many of the big name brands, but I’ve never had a boot fit this great before. They are way stiffer than the Salomons, just fyi.

OP
bojangles808
I wore the Salomons at work for a long time. They new ones still fit okay, but not as great as the old ones did. As far as a hunting boot, the Crispi Colorados fit my feet perfect. I’ve tried many of the big name brands, but I’ve never had a boot fit this great before. They are way stiffer than the Salomons, just fyi.
did you wear the same size quests as the colorados?

OP
bojangles808
I went through the same realization when they changed the Quest 4d. I moved to the Lowa Camino in wide and found equally good fit. On my 3rd pair now.
the renegades fit my foot really well too but like something a little stiffer. wondering if the camino was similar fot but looks stiffer. did you wear same size camino as quests?

OP
bojangles808
No good answer for you. I have 3 pairs of the old style Salomons that I probably won't wear out for a while, But I recently picked up some Crispi Colorado wides that may work. Plan to use them on a Jan. aoudad hunt so will report back.
please do. are you wearing the same size just wide?

LaHunter

WKR
the renegades fit my foot really well too but like something a little stiffer. wondering if the camino was similar fot but looks stiffer. did you wear same size camino as quests?
Lowa Caminos have more of a tighter toe box vs the Quest 4d boots. The Caminos do have a stiffer sole also. I can’t seem to get a secure ‘heel lock / fit’ with my Caminos either.

wyosteve

WKR
bo- yes, Crispis are same size as the 4D's, just in a wide. Need a slightly heavier sock in the Crispis but so far on general hikes, they seem to fit/feel well.

tdhanses

WKR
I’ll second this, I went from 4D’s to the Colorado as well and am extremely happy.

prm

WKR
I can tell you that for me, its not Hanwag, Salewa or Crispi Colorados. Edit: I bought two extra pairs of Quest’s about two years ago. Still working on those and have nothing that truly works as well for me.

My Colorados have an odd pressure point at the base of my toes/ball of foot. I tried switching insoles and it helped a little, but still there. I would definitely go up half a size to get a similar toe box feel. I just put a Salomon on one foot and Colorado on the other to confirm. Oddity aside, Colorado is a little shorter and narrower. I should have ordered them in a wide to try.

Salewa Rapace is ridiculously narrow.

Hanwag is very close to Colorado in feel, again, go up half size from Salomon.

Last edited:
I am going to try and stretch out the toe on Hanwag alaskas in the same size. I am also trying Mammut. They are a little small so I am going to try and size up. I will try the Colorado tho and it sounds like the same size works.

For those poor people who don’t have access to Salomon Quest 4Ds, Al’s sporting goods has the Lowa renegade for $122.50. I’m going to try a pair

prm

WKR
The Kenetrek Corrie II was suggested elsewhere. I may look into those. Upon initial look they seem to be a similar concept to the Salomons.