Sako Semi-Custom Build

I bought a Sako 300WM finnlight a couple years ago and, although it shot okay (just around MOA with hand loads), it was never really up to my expectations. I'm in the process of going down the rabbit hole of a semi-custom build but was wondering if others have gone the same path. I saw one post in the archives but haven't seen much more.
I've pulled the barrel, replaced with a new Proof pre-fit and have a new carbon fiber stock on order from Kroseg (formerly Hi-tech) out of New Zealand to fit the new barrel. Based on my last emails, my stock should be shipping in the next couple weeks so hopefully I can provide an update soon.

OP
A
I finally received my stock and am very impressed with the quality and fit. I went with a cheek riser option and had them install an adapter for my spartan bipod. I think everything turned out well and will be taking it to the range this weekend. I was a bit concerned when pulling the barrel based on reading about difficulties with Tikkas but I soaked it in aerokroil and put it in my full sized-freezer for about a day then put it in the barrel vise and everything came apart easily. Reassembly was a breeze - the new stock has super tight tolerances that I'm impressed with. Overall, I'm pretty darned impressed with how everything turned out. Hopefully it shoots as well as it looks!IMG_3885.jpeg

EdP

WKR
I'll say it does look good and I'm an old guy who likes walnut and blued steel.

It has to be disappointing to spend the $ on a Sako and not get a shooter.

OP
A
Great looking set up, what's the weight as pictured?
It's at 8# 7oz without the bipod which adds an extra 8oz. I could have gone lighter without the cheek rest. The scope I have on right now is fairly heavy (Zeiss 6-24x50) and I plan on switching it out before hunting season.

OP
A
After a bit of tinkering I think I have everything worked up! I ended up bedding the action and worked up a load that I’m pretty danged pleased with. First pic is grouping at 100-yd and second at 300-yd. Definitely an upgrade from where I was!
Shooting 180ttsx, H4350 with cci 250 primers

Attachments

• IMG_4304.jpeg
    IMG_4304.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4317.jpeg
    IMG_4317.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 12

BjornF16

WKR
It's at 8# 7oz without the bipod which adds an extra 8oz. I could have gone lighter without the cheek rest. The scope I have on right now is fairly heavy (Zeiss 6-24x50) and I plan on switching it out before hunting season.
Looks great! How much did the stock cost? Any issues with importing?

OP
A
The base stock was around $950 prior to shipping - not cheap, but considering that I couldn't find any other CF option for a sako action to fit a sendero contour barrel without modifications I felt it was worth it. I had a few add ons (bipod mount and forest paint) that brought it up a bit from there. I had one snag during shipping through customs that I was able to resolve with a single email. I honestly was very leery about buying something that expensive overseas and was on pins an needles during shipping but everything worked out.