Sako l579 forester

Anybody have one they care to talk about? I have the opportunity to buy one at what seems to be a good price. They appear to be highly regarded rifles. This one is a 243 with the Bofors stamped barrel. Thinking it might be a good rifle to give my son when he gets older.

I've had a few of them.. They are highly regarded.. If it has the Bofors seel stamp it certainly improves the desirability.. I have had one in 243 as well.. These were imported back when SAKO was not as recognized for their quality as they are today.. I know there are tons of folks who wish they'd both that gun back when they were everywhere and relatively cheap .. I can remember going into gunshops and seeing folks walk by awesome SAKOs and go straight to the Remingtons, Winchesters and Brownings.. People used to think of them the way they thought of "Made in Japan".. Anyone who has actually owned/shot them know that their quality has always been there.. If I had access to a good one at a reasonable price I wouldn't hesitate for a second.. The only negetive that I can state about the 243 that I had was that the bore was tight.. I could not shoot Norma ammo in it.. Everything else I used shot great, but Norma (Finnish ammo) always ran hot and showed pressure signs with factory ammo.. Go figure.. Good luck with your decision.. They are fine rifles and the Bofors Steel is know to be fine steel and is icing on the cake.. All the best..

Last edited:

kota

FNG
Do it! My dad has one from the 60s in 243 and I pretty much shot it out when I was a kid shooting varmints and deer with it. The reloads are getting longer and longer as we are chasing an eroding throat, so he just uses it on deer now. I have shot or owned quite a few rifles since then, and that one will always be my favorite.

Great rifles and like TAArrowood said the ones that have the Bofors steel stamp seem to be the most sought after model/years of the L579. I have one in .308 that was built in 1970 - I inherited it from my dad who hunted with it many years. Really a nice rifle but a bit heavy maybe compared to some of todays rifles. But if you can get it for a good price and its clean it would be a fantastic rifle to have IMHO.

Here is my .308

I can remember talking with a frustrated shop owner in the early 70s who said he couldn't seem to price these low enough to move them.. He said I could have every SAKO he had for $160 each (he had a couple dozen)... Wish I had a time machine.. This would be one shop I'd revisit.... Oh the memories of the ones that got away..

Mines older the the l579
It is my most cherished item.
Uncle imported the barreled action around 1957
Dads best friend made the stock.
222 Rem Mag
Still shoots 1/4"
It is a little delicate tho. I had to have the bolt stop fixed. And its been sticking brass some.

Just found some factory ammo to see if my loads were the problem.
20211231_113648.jpg

Kimmo H

FNG
L579 is a good gun. Tons of them floating around the second hand market here.
The only thing to really look out for is the rifling on the barrel. They made micro rifled barrels for a short while with 12r in them, and those are the barrels you don't necessarily want to own. They get shout out fast, but luckily that manufacturing method is pretty rare on L579 and easily checked for visually.

Clean the trigger and the firing pin thoroughly, and you'll have a great and reliable gun for years to come. If one of these come in for repair its basically always just a matter of cleaning, or if the gun is shot with a ton maybe the odd extractor spring swap, but thats about it. Very robust, all metal construction is pretty much fool proof.

OP
E
Thanks for the stories guys. Might just have to pick it up. Anyone ever rebarreled one? Might get more use out of it if it were a 6 creed or 243ai with a fast twist down the road.

.222 ND

FNG
Rebarrled one with a 8 twist Brux. It’s been my main coyote, deer, and antelope rifle ever since. 95 grain VLD at 3250 is the only load Ive ever used hunting. Chambered it in 243 and use H4350, the barrel is 26”.