S&W bodyguard 2.0

Lawnboi

WKR
Has anyone seen this thing? I just picked one up. Weighs almost nothing, is tiny, awesome ergos, easy to shoot, 12 round mag… this thing has me excited.

With recent talk of caliber selection in pistols this thing could be the ticket for a weight weenie.

I normally carry a shield plus, this the shield minus.

Anyone carry a 380 for woods defense? This is likely to become my go to summer carry gun. Activities where weight matters, ie biking running, backpacking this seems to be a perfect gun.

Shooting it compared to a g43 is night and day, the bodyguard 2 is stupid easy to manage, and fixes my main issue with the Glock, the low mag capacity.

grfox92

WKR
I just looked it up. It weighs literally half of what my Hellcat weighs. 18oz vs 9oz.

I'm going to have to get my hands on one to fondle. I've been carrying my hellcat for 3 years now, before that I changed edc pistols every few months. I'm overdue for a change.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
It does handle really well for how light it is. Ergos are well done. I think Critical Defense ammo should work well for most woods applications.

*zap*

WKR
That looks interesting...
Currently for lightweight two legged predator protection I use a hammerless airweight .38.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
@Reddish @BLJ here’s the loaded weight with the 12 round mag plus 1. 1lb on the dot (that’s .27oz on the scale)

The gun also comes with a 10 round mag.

I have medium glove sized hands and can get my pinky just barely on with the 10. Solidly on with the 12.

Put some rounds through the gun, it’s very very easy to shoot for a gun this size and weight.

I got a holster and some more ammo coming for it.

Only down side is it won’t take an optic, the slide is too skinny.
IMG_1127.jpeg
IMG_1129.jpeg

Next to a shield plus
IMG_1130.jpeg

Last edited:

BLJ

WKR
Thanks. Recoil pretty manageable? What are you looking at for self defense ammo? Ammo for the woods?

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Thanks. Recoil pretty manageable? What are you looking at for self defense ammo? Ammo for the woods?
Very manageable. Low bore and grip stippling make it pretty easy to manage, granted I’m only shooting blazer fmj.

I plan to try some gold dots, maybe some federal hst. Id carry the same for both in areas I’d frequent, which are free of grizz.

FWIW I have been carrying a shield plus with an optic on it for the majority of the year, switching from a Glock 43. With the optic I do wish I had something a little more concealable during summer months, or for quick runs to town.

This thing would add nothing if mounted on a bino harness.

@Formidilosus any experience with 380 ammo?

BLJ

WKR
I’d say the Gold Dots would be good. I’m interested in this. Thanks.

Mine shoots great. Well other than I had to adjust the sight because it was several inches off from factory.

As nice as it is all around, I don’t foresee it overtaking my PMR30 for woods carry.

I’d probably use hard cast or Lehigh penetrators just to be sure I was getting the penetration for woods carry though.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus any experience with 380 ammo?

Yes. The issue with 380 is lack of sufficient penetration with expanding bullets. The only expanding ammo I would choose to use is the 99gr Federal Hydra-Shock Deep (not normal Hydra shok). Otherwise, flat nose (as much as possible) FMJ.

Buffalo Bore hard cast certainly has the required penetration, but the loss for most in shooting performance isn’t worth it.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Yes. The issue with 380 is lack of sufficient penetration with expanding bullets. The only expanding ammo I would choose to use is the 99gr Federal Hydra-Shock Deep (not normal Hydra shok). Otherwise, flat nose (as much as possible) FMJ.

Buffalo Bore hard cast certainly has the required penetration, but the loss for most in shooting performance isn’t worth it.
Thanks. I’ll give the hydra shok deep a try.

Honyock

WKR
I've concealed carried the older M&P Bodyguard 380 for quite a few years, mainly where I want extreme concealment (church). Not something that I want to take to a gun fight but I would rather have a small and snappy gun vs no gun. I carry a M&P Shield in the woods and everywhere else.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I've concealed carried the older M&P Bodyguard 380 for quite a few years, mainly where I want extreme concealment (church). Not something that I want to take to a gun fight but I would rather have a small and snappy gun vs no gun. I carry a M&P Shield in the woods and everywhere else.

The original bodyguard is something that I never even considered, was not a fan. The bodyguard 2 is a different animal.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
@Reddish @BLJ here’s the loaded weight with the 12 round mag plus 1. 1lb on the dot (that’s .27oz on the scale)

The gun also comes with a 10 round mag.

I have medium glove sized hands and can get my pinky just barely on with the 10. Solidly on with the 12.

Put some rounds through the gun, it’s very very easy to shoot for a gun this size and weight.

I got a holster and some more ammo coming for it.

Only down side is it won’t take an optic, the slide is too skinny.
View attachment 777553
View attachment 777556

Next to a shield plus
View attachment 777558
There’s an optic coming for 2025 that might fit it. Fits in the rear sight dovetail. Someone at the local shop was talking about it.

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll continue with my Shield Plus 9mm.
For personal protection I would rather remain the same caliber to weight, than lose a few ounces, and a lower caliber.
But, then again, I’m not trying to save weight everywhere that I can.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Got a holster and some hydra shok deep.

Feed and function is fine with the hydra shin deep. Holster is comically small. Gun is extremely comfortable to carry and shoot.

I still shoot a pistol with an optic, even a very short one with an optic much better but my dot equipped shield plus is significantly bigger and heavier, and can be hard to conceal in summer cloths at times. This is a nice option to have, like wearing nothing, and a shooting experience like a much bigger gun.

IMG_1146.jpeg

Last edited: