Running Shoes

Pack

FNG
Definitely in the Altra camp on this one. The lone-peaks are an excellent trail shoe, I use the superiors every damn day, they re some of the most comfortable shoes even for trotting around the city.

If you're stricken with the wide-a$$ foot disease like me, their toe box on these shoes are unlike anything else in the game (except maybe Topos)

Last edited:

EmperorMA

WKR
I’m 100% neutral gait, medium foot width and medium-high arches. Salomon trail running shoes fit like they were made for me.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
Altras were great for the toe box and minimalist toe to heal drop. but I kept getting hot spots on the balls of my feet. I went to the Brooks Ghost and never looked back. No knee, ankle or hip pain for miles and miles.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some suggestions on running shoes, would like to find something that I could use on trails and also have enough cushion for running on pavement.
The nikes are not doing it, feet and achilles are starting to hurt after 3 miles or so. I know everyones feet are different but just interested on what other people are using
I am a big fan of Hoka's for my marathon / ultra marathon training. I reccomend going to a fleet feet store or somehwere that analyzes your foot to ensure you are getting a brand that matches your foot style. I have flat feet so the Hokas work well since they have a lower heel drop (as compared to brooks for people that need that extra support)

Dented

WKR
Just picked up another pair last night. Find a running shoe store. One that will actually fit a shoe to your foot. They're just like hiking boots. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another. You've got to find the right one for you. An educated salesman is essential for a good fit.

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
I’d recommend the Salomon X Ultra 4 GTX, it’s compatibility lightweight, good features and high performance. One must try this!

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
Not specifically shoes - but I have recently started using quick lock style laces instead of the regular laces that came with my shoes and it seems like a game changer.

IDK if it is percieved or real but it also feels like some shoes feel more comfortable with the quick lock laces instead of traditional lacing. Maybe they "fit" better due to the elasticity and movement of the lacing. I might have been lacing my shoes wrong all along anyway.

I am a big fan of Hoka's for my marathon / ultra marathon training. I reccomend going to a fleet feet store or somehwere that analyzes your foot to ensure you are getting a brand that matches your foot style. I have flat feet so the Hokas work well since they have a lower heel drop (as compared to brooks for people that need that extra support)
I’m going to say DO NOT go to a fleet feet.

I’ve been running in ASICS for years. It’s all I wore in the Army and it’s what I wore training for both of my marathons. The model I loved was d/ced so I went to a fleet feet to check out what they had and get their recommendations.

The shoe they recommended based on my “analysis” is awful. After just 50 miles of running I had blisters in places I had never had blisters and my feet were killing me. I went and visited my friend who is a podiatrist and runner and he took one look at my feet and said “You changed brands didn’t you?”

I went back to my ASICS. Found the d/ced model on sale at local big box store and bought 3 pair and also got a new pair of the next generation of same model. Amazingly, my feet feel better and my blisters are going away.

And for those wondering. The ONLY thing I changed was my shoe brand. Socks, terrain, routine, surface etc all stayed the exact same.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some suggestions on running shoes, would like to find something that I could use on trails and also have enough cushion for running on pavement.
The nikes are not doing it, feet and achilles are starting to hurt after 3 miles or so. I know everyones feet are different but just interested on what other people are using
I have a pair of Nike pegasus trail 3s. Goretex version. Never had hotspots and I can run trails but not too technical. I also roaded them and ran a half with them. Will be doing the non goretex version soon as the goretex fit a little tighter. Tbh, I'd try new insoles, they can supriseingly help a lot

I am switching over to zero drop and am running topo spectres. Super light and fast. Careful with zero drop transition if you already have Achilles problems, the no drop could injure ya if not careful. Goal is to be in altras. I like both due to large toe box and not as narrow.

As others have and will state, find what fits and doesn't cause issues, then run them into the ground.

mtbraun

FNG
Use whatever works for you. It may take a few different brands and styles to get it right. Tried Altras, hated them, moved over to Hokas and they work for me. They are both very good shoes.

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
Hoka Speedgoats or Saucony Peregrine for trails
Saucony Speeds for daily trainer
Saucony Pro 3 or Vaporfly for racing

HTNFSH

FNG
Asic Gel Nimbus 23 for road running. The new Nimbus 25's are OK, but shaped like Hoka's and feel extra squishy. I use them on crushed gravel too.

Yoder

WKR
I switched between Altra, ON and Hokas. All three are comfortable. ON were a little narrow. Hokas fell apart too fast. My favorite are Altras. They are the only shoe that is actually shaped like a foot.

luvsdux

FNG
I switched between Altra, ON and Hokas. All three are comfortable. ON were a little narrow. Hokas fell apart too fast. My favorite are Altras. They are the only shoe that is actually shaped like a foot.
Altras are good shoes but did the negative drop bother you?

luvsdux

FNG
I've tried quite a few trail shoes and the Saucony Peregrine are my favority. It has a generous forefoot, great traction and stability. I wish it were waterproof but the mesh dries pretty quickly.